SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 12:10:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storage Wars  (Read 19056 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:37 am »

The thing I dont get with PAWN STARS is that why is a local Pawn Store in Vegas attracting people with items that belong in a museum?  I mean, Rick even brings in an appraiser, and gets it appraised for 10,000 bucks.  The appraiser would even say "It would have no problem selling at auction for 10,000) and then the appraiser leaves.... Rick offers 4,000... the guy/gal will say Ohhhh I dont know.. can you do better,.... Rick will say that there is no money left for me... blah blah blah... and then they agree on some STUPID low amount!

If I had a rare item where an appraiser came in, I would be following that appraiser out the door to say, hey, wanna sell this for me, you keep 10 percent?!?

PLUS, I went to the Pawn Shop in Vegas there last year, and I would say almost EVERYTHING in that store was CRAP!  There were no signed documents like you see on TV, no collector guns, no unique items, etc.... there was a LOT of souvenier t-shirts, magnets, etc....

AND if anyone else has been to the store, is it me, or does the store on TV look a little bit different than in real life?  The floor on tv looks all nice and carpeted, yet when I was there, it was a crappy cement floor.  THe cabinets on TV are all nice displayed items, yet in real life there are just PILES of crap filling the shelfs and counters. (10 and 20 dollar items)

ARgh... Im just bored and vented a bit lol... wife went out for the day, kids are watching Sunday morning cartoons ...........
Don't mind the spelling mistakes, Im just hitting send without lookin over.
 happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pinballnut

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 09:51:42 am »

bonovox -  I know an arcade collector, in Detroit, that has an very unique one of a kind TRON.  He was contacted by the directors of Pawn Stars.  They wanted to fly his machine to NV, have someone to bring it it to sell and they were going to call their expert. Yeeeeep, you guessed it- they wanted him ( the owner ) to be the expert.

Ever wonder why the museum and gun guy's always walk right in and know all about that particular item?  My guess is it's theirs - straight off the wall of the gun store  or straight out the museum..
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 10:40:05 am »

The thing I dont get with PAWN STARS is that why is a local Pawn Store in Vegas attracting people with items that belong in a museum?  I mean, Rick even brings in an appraiser, and gets it appraised for 10,000 bucks.  The appraiser would even say "It would have no problem selling at auction for 10,000) and then the appraiser leaves.... Rick offers 4,000... the guy/gal will say Ohhhh I dont know.. can you do better,.... Rick will say that there is no money left for me... blah blah blah... and then they agree on some STUPID low amount!

If I had a rare item where an appraiser came in, I would be following that appraiser out the door to say, hey, wanna sell this for me, you keep 10 percent?!?

You're right. I've wondered the same thing. If you are being told it is worth $10k at an auction, why sell it to a pawn shop for 40% of that? Heck, stick it on eBay and see how it does or put it in some other auction then unless you need the money right away to pay off somebody.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 10:58:42 am »

I smirk if I watch these shows, it's all made for TV. Cops is prolly the only  un*staged "reality show", and I'm not sure about them sometimes.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:03 am »

I second What bonovox Said I was Also there Last Sept . The Place looks run down on the Inside Nothing Was show Nice . Was Pushed Threw (I under Stand Its A Business ) But The Place Is Reallt Small Once your in there .And NO One from the Shows I'v seen was Even Working Or In there .

But I can Say I was There !

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »

Here's my beef with this show.
       Let's say I find a Vendo 81 in the storage locker I just bought. I know nothing about these "Ol' Coke boxes" so I take it down to the SMC pawn shop for appraisal. Being the honest dedicated businessmen you are, you would tell me my machine is worth $2000 to $2500 in auction but you will give me $1800 for it right now! biggrin    
      Or would you tell me the machine is only worth $500 to $600 but lay $400 cash down and save me the trouble of going through an auction?
      These pawn dealers are not in business to pay fair market value to anybody...... the more they have to pay out, the less profit they make. Who would actually trust a pawn dealers appraisal?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:02:00 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
TrevsOldChevs

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 07:07:53 pm »

I smirk if I watch these shows, it's all made for TV. Cops is prolly the only  un*staged "reality show", and I'm not sure about them sometimes.

OMG... you mean Survivor is staged too??? 
jawdrop

LOL... Man, now I'm totally disillusioned! Wink What are you gonna tell me next... that there's no Santa or Easter Bunny???  Cool

It's a sin to crush old tin...
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 09:51:46 am »

Who would actually trust a pawn dealers appraisal?

You hit the nail on the head... We'll stated!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:48 am »

Buyer and seller both "beware"

I visited the store last summer and it took 45 minutes to get into the place.  The "cast members" (that is what they are actually referred to) were not there that day.  However, I did got to see some of Rick Dales work (in the store) and I finally got to see that his stuff sucks in person.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain