SMC Discussion Areas
June 23, 2024, 01:58:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storage Wars  (Read 18993 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:29 am »

Well stated Trev!

Glen
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:59 am »

Good post Trev!
Only 5 posts, and already complaining... My kinda guy! (my wife says all I do is complain.... maybe it's from years of watching Seinfeld lol)
Anyways, I couldnt agree with ya more.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
ciawarrior
10 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 09:52:37 am »

Agree and speaking of crazy prices, here are the bottles from the show selling.............

http://www.darrellgambler.com/cocacola-various-bottles-and-crate-144-prd1.htm
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 10:01:11 am »

You have to be kidding me.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
johnnyfizz
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 11:55:50 am »

What gets me are the prices that some guys ask for a wooden soda bottle case.On ebay some auctions start @ $75.00. Usually faded colors and splintered wood.

Our local bottling works had bought their own garbage truck and it seems that every day there were heaping amounts of cases and bottles in the hopper, and I recall that sound when the rams would activate and scoop and crush and bust that wood and glass together.Who could have known that some 35 years later that was the sound of money getting hauled off to the landfill (dumps back then) to be buried forever.

I think a great idea for a new show would be one where they go into where old dumps used to be and carefully excavate layer by layer and see what turns up! With scrap metal prices where they are,that alone would pay the production costs!
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 12:01:04 pm »

Darrell is catching up to the level of Rick Dale!
I just checked out Darrells site, "About Darrell"  That is about as CHEEEEESY as the Popes favorite cheese (Swiss... cause it's holy)
Good night Cleveland!
 happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »

That's what drives me crazy about Storage Wars and shows like it...  darn

Someone gets a locker, wades in, puffs out their chest, looks at some worthless item and says "that's worth $300" (as an example) and it is added to how much money their locker is worth when usually in my experience the item they just mentioned is nowhere NEAR that value... their guess is just treated as fact and usually couldn't be further from the truth!

Even when they bring it to a so called "expert" as was the case with the bottles mentioned above anybody can say items are worth anything but to me that holds no weight... if the expert evaluates the item and says "I'll give you X number of dollars for it", pulls out his wallet and puts his money on the table THAT is where I start to believe that is the real value...

While I enjoy watching Storage Wars to see what treasures they find, I think they are really screwing up the market for those of us who like to buy old collectibles... hell, I have been to garage sales where 85 year old ladies are massively inflating their prices and telling me how much something is worth "because they saw it on the TV" and even Craigslist sellers are doing it... anybody want a Coke cooler for $650 because there's one on CL right now! Kinda takes the fun out of it when people are trying to gouge you because of a TV show...  down

But are people actually getting the prices they are asking? Once they are told the bottles are worth $$$ or they see something on TV, are they able to actually sell for those prices? If not, they are going to have to come down or sit on it. I think the problem will be (or is) when people are paying those prices like they were with the housing market a few years ago. That's when the market will be screwed up. If not, won't the prices just adjust?

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:56 pm »

What gets me are the prices that some guys ask for a wooden soda bottle case.On ebay some auctions start @ $75.00. Usually faded colors and splintered wood.

Right. But what is most telling is if they sell or not. If they end at $75 with no bids, then that's all it was. Some guy asking for $75.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 12:53:03 pm »

I think you may find a very few  who pay those prices - either out of ignorance, or think the value will only go up - think how many people bought beanie babies for investment.

There are so many more tools availalbe today to make research easier, but it
s still the i saw it on Ebay, or on TV  logic, several items posted for  outrageous prices, yet they don't check to see if any actually sold at that price.

Personally, i'd like to  see the backlash when real experts chime in and   blow the lids of these shows. Once can dream...

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
TrevsOldChevs

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 03:40:20 pm »

Only 5 posts, and already complaining... My kinda guy! (my wife says all I do is complain.... maybe it's from years of watching Seinfeld lol)
Anyways, I couldnt agree with ya more.

I'm old (51) and have been around women all my life so I figure I should be an expert complainer by now...  I'm  grumpy cuz I'm old and a quick learner, too... I studied under the best!  lol biggrin

It's a sin to crush old tin...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: