SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 01:32:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier 51 anybody to help in the UK  (Read 7944 times)
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:18 pm »

I've taken the fan out from the back of the unit (behind the ammo belt) in case you notice it missing, the wiring was interesting at best.

Looks like he removed the fan prior to taking the pictures.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 12:25:03 pm »

...the coins sit over the mechanism but don't quite push through - sure it'll be an easy fix.

It sure is! Loosen the screw on the right side of the mech (indicated by the arrow in the pic below). This allows you to adjust the spring steel clip holding the base of the rejector in or out so as to align the coin slots of the rejector to the coin slots on the crank shaft.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:26:47 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pinsanon
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:56:45 pm »

Thanks for the welcomes and tips guys.

Spent a bit of time on the electrics today and I can't get the compressor to fire. The evaporator fan runs (when wired directly), but it is a bit noisy and seems to get warm - not sure whether to replace or use as-is. The thermostat shows continuity (or not subject to setting) so happy with that, but I can't get the compressor going even when wired direct - maybe it's the relay, I'll investigate further another day.

I'm open to suggestion/advice, but starting to think that although the machine is grubby enough to warrant a clean-up and a service, it might not be bad enough to go the whole 9 yards (respray etc). I'll do the best I can with limited resources/knowledge and then if I'm not happy with it I can reconsider. Rather than sand-blast the cabinet, what's the best product to use to give it a clean up with good old elbow grease. It looks pretty clean underneath the muck.

Another noob question: If I get the ammo-belt sand blasted will it then need to be treated/re-painted or will the sand-blasting alone give me a decent finish? Or is there another way to clean it up? I have vibrating tumbers (for pinball parts) but would have to break it down piece by piece and it'll take forever.

Cheers

Nick
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:46:17 pm »

Nick ~

Welcome!  Nice looking machine you got there!  I'm betting most folks here would tell you to replace the fan motor, as it's 50+ years old and probably a bit tired.  As for cleaning, I use rubbing compound on the machine and follow it up with a good waxing.  That has taken most grime off the machines I have.

I don't have the answers for your other questions, but there are enough folks on here that have done it all that should be able to steer you right!  Cheers!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Pinsanon
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 08:22:43 pm »

Me again  tounge

I've started cleaning the inside of the machine and it's really coming up quite nice. I've sent the ammo-belt off to be sand-blasted and will see how good it comes back. I'll post some pics when I've made a bit more progress.

My questions for now..

Firstly the bottle 'stand' at the bottom of the cabinet (apologies for probably using all the wrong terminology). It looks like it has been painted black at some stage, which judging by pictures I've found is not original. It's probably the worst condition area I've discovered (so far). The tray looks like it 'could' come out of the framework on it's own, but seems pretty solid so might be attached. I'll struggle to get it looking nice without sand-blasting, and the rest of the inside isn't bad enough to warrant stripping out all the cooling equipment to have it done (unless it does come out alone). I suppose I could rub it down and use a metal paint (hammerite over here is one) to give it a metallic finish, but happy to be advised otherwise if there's another way to restore it's former shine.

Secondly... there are thin wooden pieces that run around the internal framework, with the insulation behind. They're not great, especially the one across the bottom which is pretty rotten. It's only thin hardboard, can you buy these pieces or should I just have some new ones cut? or should I try and clean up and treat/stain the originals?

Finally, the spindles that the ammo belt runs on. These were all pretty grubby and none of them rotated when the ammo belt moved - altho the belt seemed to run around them with ease regardless. I've cleaned up a couple and the first one I put back in now seems to rotate freely, but there's not a great deal of lee-way (as in they might get gunked up and stuck again before long). Should these be greased (thinking grease and coke bottles not a good combination), or is it just that it's stood unused for so long the cause of them getting ceased-up and they'd be ok in regular use. I'm hoping you can get the spindles as one looks a bit sorry for itself and I'm not sure it's coming off in one piece.

Sorry to waffle (again), really pleased with my purchase, can't wait to have it looking nice (and maybe even working laugh). Also on the lookout for more laugh but as Dave said when I spoke to him (really nice guy) there's not exactly many knocking about in the UK.

Cheers guys

Nick
UK
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: