SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 02:10:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier 51 anybody to help in the UK  (Read 7945 times)
Pinsanon
« on: June 10, 2008, 06:59:43 am »

Hi guys, new member and first post  blush

I'd been toying with the idea of buying a machine for my workshop and recently passed up a pepsi vmc88 (i think it was!).

But yesterday I went out to deliver a pinball machine (my main hobby) and managed to come home with a Cavalier 51. A quick surf on the interweb and I believe this to be a 50s machine.

As with many of my whim purchases, I know nothing about vending machines, and altho I started to pull it to bits and polish up some of the metals - I'm clearly out of my depth  Oo

I paid £350 ($700) for the machine, which is probably WAY too much, but it's for me and I just had to have it (plus you don't see many in the UK)

It hadn't been switched on for about 15 years, so I quickly fired it up and there was SOME activity. I didn't want to leave it on too long in case anything blew up.

The outside of the machine is really quite good, the inside is a bit grubby, and I'm sure the refrigeration inside is going to need work.

Anyway, I'm rambling.... the reason for my post is to see if there are any restorers in the UK, who I might be able to
(a) ask for parts
(b) ask for advice
(c) give him the damn machine to restore once I lose my patience

Thanks guys, great site btw

Nick
UK
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:46:29 pm by Pinsanon » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:37 am »

Welcome to the site Nick. There are a few members from England on this site that will be able to help. Your machine is from the 50's. The Cav 51's are nice machines and I think you did just fine on the price as long as the vending parts "Ammo Belt" are intact. When plugging your machine in the main concern is to make sure that the machine has been standing upright for at least 6 to 12 hours after transporting it on its back. Otherwise there will be no harm in plugging it in. You have already had it plugged in for a short time so you know there are no major shorts so you may as well just plug it in and see if it cools. The cooling systems in these machines amaze me. I have had almost 70 machines and I would say that 90% of them still worked fine will all original cooling systems. It is a good idea to go through all of the wiring and replace the fan motors before using it long term. If you can please post some pictures of your machine. We all love to see pictures of other peoples finds. Again welcome to the site. Just a fair warning. this hobby is extremely addicting.
Pinsanon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:58:56 am »

Cheers for the message. I already took the liberty of emailing one of the active UK members (AND had a super-quick reply - many thanks). I'm near Chesham, Bucks (UK) if anyone ever finds themselves local and fancies a brew.

Glad to hear I've done ok on the price - not that it bothered me at the time, but nice to hear I haven't made an all-too-common boob!

It's a C51-E and is completely red (rather than white section) and no kicker plate which I 'think' dates it prior to 1956 (what would we do without google!). The serial number looks like 245175 (this is where somebody tells me it was reported stolen in 1975).

There's some pics on this link http://flickr.com/photos/pinsanon/sets/72157605535045260/ (it's a flickr page), it's surprising how unforgiving the flash is on the outside, and yet makes the inside look much more shiny than it actually is! I've taken the fan out from the back of the unit (behind the ammo belt) in case you notice it missing, the wiring was interesting at best. Apologies for the mess in my workshop - you should see the rest of it  laugh

Needless to say my wife was thrilled with the new purchase!  veryangry

I'm hoping it's not too addictive... My 'main' hobby is pinball machines, and that started with me just buying one machine and getting SERIOUSLY hooked! Now I'm a bit of a 'dealer' organise pinball shows, tournaments, open weekends and just built myself a new workshop (http://www.hq2.net for pics of the building work)

Back to the machine.... I know I need the 5c plastic insert for the coin-mech, and the coins sit over the mechanism but don't quite push through - sure it'll be an easy fix. Not sure if I should be getting it looking nice, or getting it working first? Other than that, it'll be a whole new learning curve for me.

Sorry to waffle, I still get excited over my random purchases, even though I REALLY should know better.

Cheers guys

Nick
UK
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:11:21 am »

Wow that looks really nice. I would say that you got a great deal, especially if it cools. For repop parts go to www.thesodajerkwerks.com or call funtronics in the states and order a catalog. They will have most of the reproduction parts and decals you will need for your machine. If it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures I would get it working and start using it. Has it been converted to 220v or do you use a transformer?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:57:55 am »

Looks like it has a C-102 main door - I've never seen a C-51 with vents on the main door!
Nice looking machine too!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pinsanon
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »

Bizarrely, it had a 220v transformer LOOSE in the body. The guy I bought it from said he bought it from a dealer about 15 years ago and it did work (I presume on 220v). He then moved house and it's been in his garage getting dusty and giving residence to multiple spiders ever since.

When I first plugged it in (bearing in mind I'm a complete noob) it sounded like the compressor was 'trying' to start but couldn't quite. I'd rather be happy with the wiring before I leave it on for longer and see if it cools - but I just want to get my hands dirty and have a play!

So as for the ammo belt and the such, should I be looking at having it sand-blasted or better to pick it to pieces and clean the sections one by one? I figure I'll clean up the galvanised steel areas and then maybe give it a lacquer coat or something (but won't be doing anything drastic without reading up/asking you guys first).

You can expect more of the "where does this go" and "what does that smoke mean" type messages in the short-term

Cheers

Nick
Pinsanon
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:34 am »

Hi guys

Just having a poke around the new arrival, and want to make sure the wiring is done properly. A few were hanging off, and I think the 'noise' I heard when briefly switched on at the seller's home was the fan.

I've drawn up a quick diagram and would be grateful if you could let me know if I'm barking up the right tree. I did buy and download the manual, is there a separate schematic available?

Does the fan only run when the compressor is going or constantly?

Thanks for any help

Nick
UK
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:55:24 am »

Hello Nick & welcome to the site!

Yes, your schematic is basically correct, the evaporator fan ( topside in with the bottles' ammo-belt) should run constantly, and if your machine is a later production unit equipped with a condensor/compressor cooling fan ( located on the bottom deck)this is the fan that should cycle with the compressor.  ( Nice to see the step-down transformer too! )

hope this helps.

JohnieG

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:27 am »

Welcome to the site.  Is your machine missing the evaporator fan?  This will be the one inside the area where the bottles are.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:41:32 am »

Is your machine missing the evaporator fan?  This will be the one inside the area where the bottles are.

It sure looks like it!
Fun-Tronics (301) 371-5246 in Maryland carries replacement fan motors and the fan blade too I presume.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: