SMC Discussion Areas
June 23, 2024, 02:30:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO CLUE KIDS  (Read 26249 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 12:21:53 am »

Most of the good ones have already been mentioned but you all forgot the most important one.

We walked a mile to school, uphill in both directions!  laugh Cool biggrin

Seriously, we went to the Catholic grade school that was a little more than six full city blocks from our house.  We walked to school in the morning, walked home for lunch and back (one hour lunch break) and walked home at the end of the day.  My sister actually went to the old neighborhood and measured the distance and we were walking about 2 miles a day just to get to school and back.  That is more exercise than most kids get in a week today.  It was a rare treat to be driven to work because most of the time, our family only had one car and my dad had that at work.

And how about working or helping neighbors out?  We used to walk around the neighborhood and shovel snow or rake leaves and we were lucky to get 50 cents for an hour or two of work.  And our parents would not let us take money from the older neighbors because we were supposed to help them out without charging.

Lastly, I had a paper route and delivered over 60 newspapers everyday of the week for about $15.00 a week.  I still remember the serious conversation I had with my parents and my news station manager when I bought my route--yes you had to buy your route from the previous carrier!  The station manager impressed upon me that I was buying my own business and it was up to me to make sure that my business was successful by doing a good job with the current customers and adding more customers from the non-subscribers on the route.  And during the two years that I owned the paper route, my parents only drove me once and that was because there was an ice storm in Detroit and there were trees and power lines falling all over the place--but the paper had to be delivered.  Every other day, rain, shine, snow or sleet, I rode my bike and delivered those papers to the front door, side door, milk chute or mailbox--whatever the customer wanted.  The Detroit News would not let us just roll the papers and throw them on the driveway or porch.  Learned a lot from that experience about dealing with customers and managing money.

drinking Tim drinking
Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 06:18:39 am »

our parents would not let us take money from the older neighbors because we were supposed to help them out without charging.

Today's kids are always wanting something for nothing. They don't understand what it means to be respectful and work for what you get. Not all of them but most. It all starts with the parents!

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »

Today's kids are always wanting something for nothing. They don't understand what it means to be respectful and work for what you get. Not all of them but most. It all starts with the parents!

It sounds like something my parents would've said, and probably something their parents said too.  I think every generation believes that the next generation has it easier or is more spoiled, and if you compare the lifestyles of our relatives throughout the different generations, it's true.  I wonder what my kids will say about the next generation.

A lot of stuff.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:57 pm »

They don't understand what it means to be respectful and work for what you get. 

I was thankfull to have a job..........and thankful to the man who gave it to me.

Glen
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »

Carefully placing the needle down on your new "album" so it didn't drop and scratch the hell out of it the first time playing it..........enjoying it until you fell asleep and awoke to the schtook......schtook....schtoook....of the needle spinning in the center  OR having to listen to an 8-track all the way through because you had no fast forward or rewind.  No one touch MP3 of any song in the world you want to hear...............
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »

How about when playing an 8 track and have it "click-click" half way through a song to the next track?

"I wanna "click-click" rock and roll all night, and party every day"!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

Carefully placing the needle down on your new "album" so it didn't drop and scratch the hell out of it the first time playing it..........enjoying it until you fell asleep and awoke to the schtook......schtook....schtoook....of the needle spinning in the center  OR having to listen to an 8-track all the way through because you had no fast forward or rewind.  No one touch MP3 of any song in the world you want to hear...............

Ha- Or carefully stack pennies on the needle top so it wouldn't skip where you lightly scratched it the first time..

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »

Going to the movies to see the latest Disney animated feature, carefully crafted paper-and-ink by the finest artists. IMO, those people understood their craft better than anyone in the world. Whether epic masterpiece, or just plain old light-hearted fun, "once upon a dream" Disney could make excellent animated movies.

These days, pop in a Blu-Ray containing some massively over-hyped PC pop-culture garbage fired out of several hundred number-crunchers, and backed by barely adequate singing ability.

Don't get me wrong, I like CGI animation and it has it's place-I thought "Cars" was a very effective use of CGI. But there's just something about old-fashioned animation that sadly seems to be disappearing from the entertainment landscape. Most CGI movies just aren't that good.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2014, 05:25:01 am »

Well what a great thread. Thanks All!.

Throwing rocks at the dog catcher truck, "Bonking" cars with snowballs, Finding a stash of returnable Coke bottles that paid for the needed Estes rocket engines.
The "mishaps" that occurred with Fireworks/ Model Rockets were just a lecture not a felony arrest. When the snow/ice got just right spinning donuts in parking lots.

It took a matchbook wedged in the 8 Track player to get "Cat Scratch Fever" to play right. Drawing straws to sort who went in the trunk to sneak into the drive-in...
Fun times,
Creighton

TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2014, 07:47:03 am »

I'm surprised no one mentioned drinking from the garden hose on a hot summer day! MaineT...if we let our kids ride in the back of a truck these days we'd probably get arrested! I used to look at it as a treat! Anyone remember SST's(it was a drag  car with a plastic rip-cord)? How about a Whizzer?(they were a top that you would push the tip against the floor) It's fun the think about The Good Ole days! 
   TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: