SMC Discussion Areas
June 02, 2024, 08:49:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO CLUE KIDS  (Read 25900 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 04:50:37 pm »

Cartoons ONLY on Saturday mornings.

And they were enjoyable too. Often very silly, but that was the point. Nowadays silly Saturday morning shows are illegal unless something "government-mandated" is done with the silliness. This is called "Educational and Informational", or "E/I" television.

Today kids, we learned that "government-mandated silliness" is a redundant expression.

back on topic: Fiddling with AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS numerous times and rebooting, in order to get that brand new $40 game to run. In rare cases the game (not whichever version of DOS, but the game itself) might have had serial port/dial-up modem support for "on-line multiplayer".
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 04:53:55 pm »

Parcel pick up at a grocery store.

Ordering items from a Catalogue

Hitting play and record at the same time when your fav. song came on the radio.... (I tell my kids that radio was my way of torrenting when I was a kid lol)

Knee patches on our pants

Going to school with a house key around our necks cause our parents were at work.

Not having to lock up or bikes at the store

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »

AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS .... lol...

How about Commodore 64:     LOAD"*"   ,8,1

I remember when my dad brought home PONG and it was the BEST THING EVER... watching that ball go back and forth back and forth... lol... there were 4 games, hockey, tennis, and two other games I cant remember... BUT EVERY GAME HAD THE SAME IDEA, don't let the ball get past your line lol

Atari 2600 games were 99.99 back when they came out!  That would be equivalent to paying about 200+ for your kids games!..... but what better game was there than COMBAT, ASTEROIDS, or later games such as PITFALL,  RIVER RAID or POLE POSITION

Then there was the scam of commodore 128... DOUBLE the power of a 64, but everyone who had it played 64 games... lol.... 64 kilobytes... my kids toy watch from the dollar store has more memory than that lol

Vic 20 was great too.... pop in the casset tape and away you go!

We had a PET in school, (no not a animal lol) but the computer, it was in the library and not to be used by anyone... don't know why we even had one!

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 05:20:43 pm »

How about Commodore 64:     LOAD"*"   ,8,1

I remember when my dad brought home PONG and it was the BEST THING EVER... watching that ball go back and forth back and forth... lol... there were 4 games, hockey, tennis, and two other games I cant remember... BUT EVERY GAME HAD THE SAME IDEA, don't let the ball get past your line lol

Atari 2600 games were 99.99 back when they came out!  That would be equivalent to paying about 200+ for your kids games!..... but what better game was there than COMBAT, ASTEROIDS, or later games such as PITFALL,  RIVER RAID or POLE POSITION

Then there was the scam of commodore 128... DOUBLE the power of a 64, but everyone who had it played 64 games... lol.... 64 kilobytes... my kids toy watch from the dollar store has more memory than that lol

We had a PET in school, (no not a animal lol) but the computer, it was in the library and not to be used by anyone... don't know why we even had one!

I've heard of the PET computer (Commodore PET, IIRC), I've just never seen one in person.

I used to tinker with a TI-99 4/A. Even figured out how to program in BASIC it a little bit. To play a plug-in game, all you had to do was plug the "Command Module" into the cartridge slot, turn it on, "Press Any Key to Begin", then press a number higher than 1, and you were in business. I never could find the "Any Key", but I eventually figured out all of the other keys would start the system, too. biggrin

You could program a simple game if you wanted to, but it wasn't required. Then there was the Speech Synthesizer option. In those days, getting anything resembling natural sound out of a computer was remarkable.

Today, full pre-recorded voices. Sometimes, the voice acting is even mostly bearable.

A few years back, I had this old Sinbad pinball machine I used to have working. Unfortunately it was the electronic version missing a power supply board. The Gottlieb System 80 didn't feature all that great electronics either, not to mention what might have been wrong with what was under the playfield. I eventually sold it.

As far as Ataris go, you can by a brand new "reproduction" at the Dollar stores today around US $50, with some games already on it. Not really sure which Atari is being copied, I'm not an Atari fan. I'm sure they're emulation consoles, but I've heard that some of the boards inside are set up where you can solder an Atari cartridge port to them. I've never tried one though.

Here's an example. http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15702686

I know I've rambled off topic a bit.

Sending in box tops or bar codes from cereal boxes for prizes. Today Kellogg's prints codes on the inside of boxes to be entered online. Same with instant win games, bleh.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:27:42 pm by Pixel » Logged
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »

Stick of gum in a pack of baseball or hockey cards

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

Yesterday's card games. - Kings, Queen's, Jacks, Jokers, Old Maids, and Rooks.
Today's - Pikachu, Charizard, Yu-Gi-Oh, Lugio, Rodeo, Onkyo, and Nokia.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 09:53:37 am »

Riding in the back of a pickup truck (even with the tailgate down sometimes....)

Tim
Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 10:23:25 am »

How about Commodore 64:     LOAD"*"   ,8,1

Atari 2600 games were 99.99 back when they came out!  That would be equivalent to paying about 200+ for your kids games!..... but what better game was there than COMBAT, ASTEROIDS, or later games such as PITFALL,  RIVER RAID or POLE POSITION

We had an Oddessy 2000 with the static clings that went on the TV screen. The haunted house was awesome back then!

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
cmike101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »

Lincoln logs and slot cars..
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2014, 10:31:56 pm »

We had an Oddessy 2000 with the static clings that went on the TV screen. The haunted house was awesome back then!

The Vectrex had something like that, though I've never seen one for myself. I think they were thought of as the world's first portable game system, though from the videos on the internet, they look like they weigh a good 30 lbs anyway.

I've heard some Commodore SID base music, and it's very impressive what they could do with it. I really like the theme for International Karate. Over 8 minutes of strange, but still interesting, nice music. I like to think the Commodore had it's own sound, though it is something of an acquired taste IMO. If you've never heard it, here's a link. I really like the rhythm of the slow part it's so tight in it's regularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzlK_JNuOGE

If SID sound isn't quite you're cup of tea, here's a solid re-mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ycUszWeCg

From what I've seen of it, I'd go so far as to say that modern fighting games owe some respect to International Karate.

I found the Great Giana Sisters to be very interesting as well. Quite a rare title- Nintendo won a lawsuit and had it taken off the shelves in short order. Apparently it started out as a port of Super Mario Bros., which Nintendo refused to sanction. I kind of think that was a shame, especially considering what Nintendo allowed Philips
to do with their characters on the CD-i.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:47:42 pm by Pixel » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: