SMC Discussion Areas
June 23, 2024, 01:30:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A BIG THANK YOU!! to Dave the Birdman!~~  (Read 3315 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« on: November 11, 2014, 04:59:56 pm »

My wife and I have been going through a kitchen remodel for about five long months now. We were hoping for three months in the beginning. We hired a mediator (I mean decorator) to decide some things for us. I've done some work like wallpapering, baseboards and some of the plumbing, but subbed out a lot of it because A: we didn't want it to turn into a two year project and/or B: I hate doing some jobs like tiling. I know it is easy and I will do a bathroom, but we tiled about 1200 sf. plus backsplashes, etc.
So the decorator drew up a rendering of her vision. My wife fell in love with a tile design that she wanted to put behind the cooktop. The decorator goes to order the tile and is told it is discontinued, so she asked the company see if the factory (in Spain) has more and they do; however, I need to pay up front. She orders the 6"x24" tile, sends me the invoice and I pay it, but it will be 9-12 weeks until it arrives. OK - 16 weeks later, the tile arrives, BUT not enough was ordered. We have halve of what we need. UGGH!
I want to blame her and she blames the tile store. Her son is 21 and battling cancer, so her mind is not completely focused and I understand. So the tile store inquires around the USA and tells me that there are none to be had! UGGGH! So she starts looking on the web and finds a store in England that has the tiles listed online. Price wise Pound to USD, they were about the same. So I order what I need, fill out all the info and get to shipping options and there is one - p/u in store! UGGGH!
So now we are rethinking, seeing if the tile store will give a refund, find a similar tile....what to do....what to do. Well the more we looked around and thought about it, the more we were saddened that what we really wanted as a focal point in the kitchen wasn't going to happen.

So here is where Dave comes in. I reach out to him and he says the tile store is a bit of a drive, so I ask the tile store (in England) if they will ship to Dave. They say yes and Dave says that he will package it well for transatlantic journey. I was so grateful to have a contact on that side of the pond (as Dave calls it). I sent Dave $50 to cover expenses, but he quickly refunded it back to me refusing to accept anything. So two boxes of tile arrives at his doorstep and he double boxes them well, I arrange FedEx through my account and Dave drops it off at a local FedEx station.
The tiles arrived today with none broken....Thank you Dave!!
The tile is the last thing on the remodel, but I haven't been twiddling my thumbs for the past 10 days.....see pic.
The ones with rejectors and decals are customers and the rest are my stock.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:38:31 pm »

Dave's a great guy.  I'm hoping to finally meet him next year at the show if he still is up for the 2015 show.

I'm lucky, my wife hates tile.  She was happy with drywall and paint.  biggrin  Good luck with your kitchen.  I did mine by myself and it was a long process.  Everything was gutted, moved, etc.  Five doors and two windows.  It was hard to find cabinet space.  I feel your pain.

Nice collection of rejectors.

A lot of stuff.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:42:47 pm »

Now we are really getting outside of the scope of Soda-Machines.Com ! ! !
I think we need to keep topics within the scope of this forum ! ! !
Please refrain from posting this type of human behavior...

JUST KIDDIN' - JUST KIDDIN' - JUST KIDDIN'

Tom, that's awesome that Dave was able to assist ! ! !
I have to say, this may be SMC's greatest long distance "Member's Helping Member's" Award ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:34 pm »

Tom.

Dave"s a great guy !!!!

And I'm jealous of all you mech $$$$$$$$$
I only have 4 cg and 2 ncg now
Thanks for the lead on Shane in Texas !!!

And as you said please take it easy on the wife it's really hard to deal with .Beleive me I know

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »

Though I do not know Dave like some of you he was there to help me out on info for a U Select base and I am most appreciative of his willingness to help. Dave, you are a true asset to SMC.

Jeff

Pepsi 81, 7up 81, Generic 81
Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
2 Stoner Theaters, Cigarette, Pastry, Cafe 500
Minit Pop, Popcorn Sez, You'll Like It
U Select It
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »

Dave is great, years ago he had the missing part to my National Cigarette vendor and was kind enough to send it over.   Amazing guy and true asset to SMC
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 09:32:55 am »

Thanks everyone. I've approached the Vatican to see if I qualify for Sainthood.

Its been a great pleasure being able to return a favor for someone on the site. I've relied on you guys for the best part of ten years now.

Tom didn't help the situation by saying that they were the only tiles left anywhere in the world. Lots of pressure there worrying that they'd get there in one piece. Me and Mrs B can now sleep a little more soundly at night knowing the task has been done. 

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: