SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 03:15:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of PAM Clocks  (Read 10041 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: November 07, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »

Picked up a couple of PAM clocks yesterday.  I have been looking at clocks for a while now but these are the first two I have ever actually bought.  The first one appears to be in pretty good condition - its still pretty dirty and needs a good cleanup but all of the smudges you see in the pic are actually dirt on the bubble glass, the ad glass is in really nice shape.  The second, was kind of a throw in.  After going to look at the first, I asked the guy if he had any other similar stuff he might be selling while I was there.  He said he had another but not in very good shape.  Its a Chevron with some sort of a sticker over the top of it.   On it, all of the dirt, crud etc is on the ad glass.  I bought it because the bubble glass is in really good shape and the clock movement works. 

My intention for the Squirt is to clean it up, replace the lighting and give it to my 14 yr old for Xmas.  He is just starting to get into some of the old soda stuff - we watch Pickers, AM Resto, Pawn Stars, etc together so I think he will really like it.  My 15 yr old likes some of the stuff too, so I thought about trying to redo the Chevron.  I know you can buy repop backglass and bezels, which will make it pretty nice as well.  I don't know much more about these yet so I would appreciate any thoughts. 

The Chevron uses incandescent bulbs, but hte Squirt uses a flourescent with a starter.  Is that the best way to keep it?  I paid $100 for the Squirt and $30 for the Chevron, for future reference, how did I do?

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »

Nice!!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »

at that price you should have had a ski mask on, nice finds, I am jjealous.  I have a nice clock collection forming and think they were the coolect form of advertising.
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »

Nice clocks.... the price is great!!!
I was into the clocks as well, but then people started to counterfit them BIG TIME
Now I  just stick with getting clocks at shows where I know the dealer etc...

Nice pick up!!

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:41:31 am »

I have a pretty good size collection of clocks.  Yes you did well at $100 for the Squirt Clock. Usually goes for about $175-$200.  As far as the lighting, I would keep everything as original as possible. Clock motors and ballasts can be replaced if needed. Everything else I would keep original if you can.

Greg
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:52 am »

Been working on a couple clocks I picked up about a month ago.  Noticed the old pics are no longer visible so here is what they looked like when I got them.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:50 am »

Here is what they look like now.  They were really trashed inside, so I stripped them down, cleaned them up, repainted them inside and out, rewired everything, but kept the old components where I could.  The Sprite is all original, the Dew is all original mechanically, but has a new ad glass.  I really like how they turned out.  My 15 yr old is getting the Dew for Xmas and my 14 yr old is getting the Sprite.  These clocks may be more addicting than the soda machines.  Don't know what the rules are for the proper way to restore a clock, but these were pretty easy to do and a lot of fun.  I think the kids will get a kick out of them.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 11:24:46 am »

Thanks for sharing your project with us. So many times these ideas never get completed as planned.
      That Mountain Dew clock just blew me away!  Nice.

Glen
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 11:50:48 am »

Great job! Where did you get the Mountina Dew Ad glass?... They look great! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »

Got the ad glass from Wayne's Neon Clocks.  He was a really good guy to deal with.  The hardest part of the whole project was finding components to keep the Circline round flourescent wired up with a starter and magnetic ballast.  Some of those pieces were difficult to find.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: