SMC Discussion Areas
June 22, 2024, 05:36:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flood  (Read 4700 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: April 20, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »

Well, my basement flooded for the first time in twenty four years.  oh  Oo I guess hundred year old sewer pipes and 5" of rain will do that.  Does anyone need any parts for numerous electromechanical and vending machines?  Actually, I was able to keep up with the water.  My lovely wife stayed up with me all night manning the pumps.  My Skill Roll and Atari Pole Position got wet on the bottom, and seepage came up under my carpet by my Wurlitzer Princess.  All machines were saved.

If we didn't stay with it we would of easily had at least ten inches if not more.  My roulette machine would have been toast, plus my other consoles.  My uncle had ten inches of sewage, he's a block from me.  Our alley is littered with carpets.  We washed our carpet last night and today.  At least I didn't have to trash it.  I plugged up the sewer and had a stand pipe in the one drain, all seepage, no nasty sewage.  Yeah!!

How'd everyone else make out?

A lot of stuff.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:54:16 pm »

Wow Larry - glad to hear all turned out OK.  We had a fairly heavy night of rain here in PA, but thankfully no flooding.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 03:25:41 pm »

Glad to hear you didn't have serious flooding and nothing was damaged. I had a bad flood a couple years ago within days of moving into my house. we had 8" of snow on a friday followed with a warm up and 3" of rain on a monday morning. I had 4 feet of water in my basement and lost everything as we had alot of stuff stored there till we were ready for it.
I did get it pumped out and had everything running that evening. The furnace,water heater,washer and drier and the well pump. I corrected all the reasons it flooded and will start working on my play area soon so I can bring my machines and games down.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:07:41 pm »

Well thank god you saved everything Larry smile back yard is pretty wet some standing water down at the bottom of the hill  I have a pine tree that is on that slop that is leaning  a little bit more that normal and a few more roots that have show up Oo
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:12:05 pm »

Larry ,

I'm really glad that you & KIm were able to keep up with it and salvage everything .  hopefull I hope everything is in full operation for our yearly visit .I think that there may? Be a new face or two this year .

Sue & I had water come threw the cracks in the floor because of 3weeks of rain about 10 years ago due to hyrdastatic pressure . We had just redid the tile floor in one room .but like you we're we're able to save the carpet due to it only being Fresh water .

If you need anything CALL me .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »

Larry,
Glad to hear you only had minimal damage and was able to keep the sump pump(s) running or it may have been much worse...
Lets hope things stay dry for another 24 yrs ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:08:37 pm »

Glad to hear you were able to save the machines. This post makes me think. I'm just finishing my basement for the new gameroom. I've only been here a year and no water as of yet but it makes me think is there some precautions I should be taking? Planning ahead may not be a bad idea.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:09:53 pm »

Larry
  Glad to hear you made it through virtually unscathed. I do believe I need to find my way over to your place this November!
TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 10:18:36 am »

I was happy that all I had was clean water.  Everyone else, across the alley and down some other blocks, had sewage.  The carpets needed a good cleaning anyway!  That will be my looking on the bright side quote for the day.  biggrin  

kbareit That's a lot of water.  I had a similar situation, but not as bad, when we first moved in here.  We just bought the house and moved everything downstairs, so I could get the first floor cleaned and painted before we officially moved in.  I was living here fixing it up while my wife stayed at home with her parents.  The front street was inaccessible because the main sewers, under the street, were being replaced.  So the streets were torn up. I did not have any possesions then, just a VMC72, a Westinghouse chest cooler, a 1015 One More Time jukebox, that we won off of a radio contest, and a chair that my friends dad threw out in the alley.  Just the necessities of life.  My wife had cannisters full of old dolls that she collected down there too.

It rained and because there were no sewers, we flooded.  Luckily the jukebox was in the back corner of the house.  It is the highest point.  I had over a foot most of the basement.  The compressors were under water, no power on.  The jukebox had water just below the speaker.  My wife's stuff was floating around, the metal drums opened up.  So everything was destroyed except for my jukebox and two Coke machines.  We haven't flooded since then.

My house has no sump pump, just drains.  We actually used our pool skimmer pump, to keep up with the seepage.  The most we had was about four inches in the back when I woke up at 3 A.M. to check.  So we had to turn the pump on, then off, let it fill up a little, on, off, on, off, all night long.  I'd rather lose sleep than my stuff.

So overall, it was a good flood.

Tom I would love to have you come over and join the party.  Like I said before, it's not anything real special, just some vending machines and games.  It's more about the pizza, beer, and good friends getting together. The more the merrier.  happydrinkers  drinking  Oo  (This is all of us toasting, drinking, and how we'll look the next morning laugh )
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:23:27 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:33:39 pm »

Larry,

Glad that you saved everything. You have a great game room! Let's hope that you get no more close calls for the next 48 years! Let's double it to make sure!

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: