SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 04:51:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for my fellow East-Coasters  (Read 10584 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 02:39:12 pm »

Hang in there and be safe!  Looks like it is going to be a helluva storm.  We are already experiencing high, gusty winds in Michigan and we are pretty far from the action.

drinking Tim drinking
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

It has been real windy with large gusts, but not much rain in the Boston, MA area. 

I have been working in my home office.  I am surrounded by woods and have been listening to trees & limbs fall all day long.  At least half a dozen have come down right in back of my property.  Thankfully I had several very large Oak trees removed over the past few years; they were huge & could have fallen on my house or garage in such a storm.  I am keeping my eye on a few big ones that are out on my street.  Hopefully they stay intact and do not take out our power lines.

Hope you guys down south of us stay safe.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 03:43:20 pm »

Here in York, PA it's raining sideways - wind gusts are really picking up as the afternoon progresses. 

One short brownout this afternoon, no power loss yet.  We should be all set - I have everything short of a generator.  Bottled water, portable stove, laterns canned food. Everything battery powered is fully charged. 

Hatches battened down, chin strap buckled.    happydrinkers

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:18 am »

Well, the Lord certainly watched over us.  We live in the woods and even though there were 50+ mph winds, we lost no trees.  Power never even flickered.  I pray for those in other areas who are struggling with water, power, etc.  All the prayers to you guys.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:03 am »

We kept power here in south-central PA as well.  So far it looks like minimal damage in my area, our main office in downtown Baltimore stayed 'on the grid' as well. 

It was a long night as we enacted our DR plan, I'm operating on about 2 (non-consecutive) hours of sleep, but in the end it was worth it to find the small 'gotchas' in our plan and be able to work through them. 

I know there are a few IT folks on this site - hopefully your infrastructure was not badly affected.   DR planning is a major PITA, but it is a big weight off your shoulders when you actually get into an emergency situation and you can pull out a document and go step-by-step down your task list in front of your executives and C-level bosses without scrambling like crazy.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 10:14:54 am »

Lost power at 4pm yesterday, still down.  8" limb missed my Nova by about a foot last night, I heard it fall and spent the night figuring it was through the car.  Next door neighbor lost a large oak across the front yard again missing everything.  Overall lucky

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:21 am »

I'm not far from Tom (tkaz) and we actually fared pretty well. We have woods and many large trees up the hill behind our house. While the winds got strong, I don't even see any branches down in the immediate neighborhood. The lights dimmed a couple of times, but that's about it. I thought the storm was going to be a lot worse than it seemed.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:18 am »

Fared through everything well here in Central New Jersey. There were some brown outs last night but nothing substantial. Our shore area was absolutely devastated though.
   TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 11:20:15 am »

Dan - it really has been an odd storm.  It seems to have really pounded the NJ coast (Atlantic City is under 3-5 feet of water) and it really thumped NYC.  It  is also dumping upwards of 3 feet of snow into West Virginia.  

Meanwhile PA/MD/VA which are in the center of the storm seem to have had only heavy rain and moderate wind gusts.   I've seen worse during occasional thunderstorms here in PA.   I think those of use in the northeast that were not badly affected were really very fortunate and my thoughts go out to those of you on the eastern coasts.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:03 pm »

Glad to hear everyone is doing well in the wake of "Sandy" ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: