SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 04:12:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Vend Motor  (Read 38898 times)
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 11:54:46 am »

I have found the exact same thing. The motor I have is closed. I am sure it would cost, but could someone cut it open and have it rebuilt?? Or is this to hard, not plausible??  I am ready to experiment!! I have a cutter and have no idea what i am doing so things might work out!!

Sealed motor would be very difficult to open for rewind without trashing the casing.  The positive side is that if you try the motor can't get any worse. It still won't work.  

If its making a humming sound the windings may be fine and the bearings may just need oil, they could be frozen.  Will the shaft turn if you try to force it? Maybe use vice grips to get a good purchase and leverage.  I've fixed a couple of house fans by oiling the bearings and turning the motto shaft manually until it turns freely.

If you do open it be very careful to not cut or detach any windings. Other than that you can't make it any worse!

So, go for it!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »

That is what I thought - take mine, open it up and then you will have a better idea of where to cut and such so as not to further damge the insides.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »

I have a stripped (sealed) motor I could send you to experiment with if you want. PM me your address if interested.

Will the shaft turn for you? If it won't, then cutting it open would probably be the best, and maybe only, option left for you. Mine however, will turn unfortunately, meaning there is something wrong with the motor itself.

If your shaft won't turn, I'd be willing to give it a shot for you. Probably just cut the housing open with a grinder or Dremel, see what the insides look like, and then just weld it back up after I'm done. 
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 04:46:48 pm »

I don't need it. It broke on me a little while back and I had to put my spare motor in the machine. If I remember correctly, the shaft spins by hand, the motor runs but does not rotate the shaft. I believe the internal gears are stripped.
So if you would like one to experiment with, let me know and I'll ship it out to you.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »

If anyone has more info on these motors I found a Merkle-korff distributor that I'll call tomorrow. Maybe they'll be willing to help.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:25:38 pm by johnieG » Logged

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25:58 pm »

If anyone has more info on these motors I found a Merkle-korff distributor that I'll call tomorrow. Maybe they'll be willing to help.

I hope so & yeah good luck with that...I found them rude & unhelpful myself personally. I hope you have better luck...  glare

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

I have called them also with not much luck.  They are a bit rude since i wont order 10,000 units.

That said what info do you need.  I am more than willing to help if I can.  Good luck with the distributor, if they ask for a headcount put me down for one, as long as the price isnt out of this world.

Kevin

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:26 pm »

Sealed motor would be very difficult to open for rewind without trashing the casing.  The positive side is that if you try the motor can't get any worse. It still won't work.  

If its making a humming sound the windings may be fine and the bearings may just need oil, they could be frozen.  Will the shaft turn if you try to force it? Maybe use vice grips to get a good purchase and leverage.  I've fixed a couple of house fans by oiling the bearings and turning the motto shaft manually until it turns freely.

If you do open it be very careful to not cut or detach any windings. Other than that you can't make it any worse!

So, go for it!

When i put power to it, it was pretty much paperweight material.  I cant turn the shaft which i think is a good sign (not being stripped) and once i get the rest of the machine complete I am going to concentrate on the motor. 

And ur so right. if I mess it up will it not work more. 

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 08:54:14 am »

Has anyone tried using the vend motor from Funtronics #11K ? I just got one for my V-144 and the old motor was a Merkle Korff 20 RPM 168 to 1 Ratio and CCW rotation and has a keyed shaft. The new motor is CCW rotation and 18 RPM and has a flat on the shaft. The motor for the Westies is 178 to 1 ratio 19 RPM and CCW rotation and has the hole in the shaft for the roll pin. I had an old gearmotor laying around and the shaft is drillable. The shaft length and diameter are the same, so this motor might be an option.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 11:44:02 pm »

Got everything primed today. It's amazing how even one coat of primer can dress up a machine. Really into the home stretch now
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: