SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 06:27:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Vend Motor  (Read 38727 times)
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:30 pm »

Hey all, first time posting.

A few weeks ago, I bought a Westinghouse WC-102MD, as well as a service manual online. The seller didn't have a whole lot of information on the machine, even if it would vend, but for the price and relatively "decent" condition it was in, I figured it was worth the risk. As soon as I plugged it in, the compressor kicked on and after an hour or two, it seemed as though the machine was getting cooler inside (I haven't let it run continuously yet so I may need to look into this later).

This is where I need your guys' wealth of knowledge/experience/resources/contacts lol. The machine was wired to free vend (the coin mechanism was long gone) but there was more electrical tape than wiring it seemed. A few fixed connections later, I tired to get it to vend but unfortunately, nothing. Referencing the manual, I took out the vend motor, plugged it in to an extension cord and only got it to hum, the shaft would barely budge. The "solution" given in the manual was to simply replace the motor... not so easy 50 years later.

I was wondering if any of you guys have an extra motor that you would be willing to sell and if not, any sites online that could help me with this problem?

Sorry for the long post and if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Thanks in advance.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »

Check out my post on disassembling the motor: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,14794.0.html

You should try to pull apart the motor from the gear box and see if the motor at least turns.  Then you can clean out the gears and get them working, they could be gunked up.

Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »

Alright, thanks for the step by step, I'll have to give that a try soon and see if I have any luck. I'll be sure to post regardless if it works or not
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »

Welcome aboard.  Good luck with the Westy rebuild.  I have never messed with one of those but several on here have.

Remember  Please post photos!

drinking Tim drinking
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »

Lol, I plan on taking some pics next time I get the chance. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday
davin72
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

I will stand in line if needed but I have a feeling I may also need one of these motors if anyone has one. My machine got jammed and I didnt know it till about four days later and im affraid it may have burned up the motor. Please let me know if you have one but please get with the OP first. I dont want to step on any toes.

Davin
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »

Sorry to hear that Davin. I've searched the internet pretty thoroughly but haven't been able to find anything. Funtronics said they have also been searching for a motor for our models but haven't had much luck either.

I haven't given up hope just yet but I think my best option right now is to try and get access to the gears. Don't know what it is just yet but I'm really hoping they are just seized up and need cleaned off/lubed up. If that doesn't work, I really don't know what to do. Krovel and I have been sharing information and he was going to check out Grainger's supply to see if anything worked.

That being said, if you, or anyone else, has one or comes across one they are willing to sell, please let me know
davin72
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:49 am »

Ive looked around alot myself and havent had any luck either. Im in Austin and there is a guy in San Antonio that has been trying to sell a beat up WC-102MD for a long time now. Im thinking about offering him a little money for it and getting the motor out of that one. As it stands he is only wanting $150 for the whole machine but if Im lucky he will take alot less just to finally get rid of it. Just not sure what Id do with the rest of the machine tho. As it stands I dont know what else to do.

Davin
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:05:25 am »

Parts machines.....that's what keeps these old machines going, just like old cars.
Go get the 102, steal the vend motor, compressor and any other parts that may be useful.
       To dispose of the rest, place an ad on Craigslist for free metal for recycle. Someone will pick it up the same day.

Glen
davin72
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:11 am »

Thats probably what I will do. Maybe I can get it cheap enough and then try to sell all the other stuff to at least break even. Not looking to make any money off of it so If anyone is looking for some parts off of one of these machines then let me know and Ill go pick it up.

Davin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: