SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 07:37:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Vend Motor  (Read 38728 times)
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »

Well I finally got around to the motor tonight (who would have thought the summer would be more hectic than the school year?) and unfortunately the motor seems dead. I was able to separate the motor from the gear housing and the gear shaft spun without too much resistance, meaning that it was not just gunked up as I was hoping. The motor hums when plugged in and still creates a magnetic field but won't spin the shaft.

I still haven't been able to find a motor that could be used as a replacement and no one is selling a Westinghouse anywhere close to me. At this point, I'm just trying to think of ways that could still activate the gates and still deposit bottles without requiring a motor.

That being said, I am still very interested in buying a motor if someone has a spare. If so, just let me know
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »

Well I've finally gotten around to start the main restoration of the machine these past few weekends (it helps having an uncle that works for a union that has a spray booth, all the tools, materials, etc.) and everything seems to be going smoothly. So far, I've:

Scuffed and sprayed the inside rails and vend chute to help combat the existing rust, as well as prevent it in the future. Once they dry, they will be sprayed silver to help dress them up a little bit.

Cleaned the inside of the machine, mainly the compressor cabinet on the bottom.

Power washed, bleached, and scrubbed the outside. Once all this was done, I sand blasted any rust areas that I could not have gotten with the hand sander. Put body filler over the areas that were scratched, dented, gouged, or in any way damaged. Primed the areas that have been worked on. Scuffed the entire outside in preparation for the primer coat.

Installed an aluminum sheet over the inside cabinet door that had been broken away by the previous owner(s). Fixed some of the gasket in the process. Sprayed the sheet matte black to help match the door.

That's about as far as I've made it in the time I've been able to work on it. If you guys see anything that should be done in addition to the things I've listed, please don't hesitate to post them. Might as well do everything right the first time around.

Before I conclude this excessively long post, I wanted to ask a question that some of you guys might know. Inside the compressor cabinet, it was lined with old insulation that was falling apart and just overall grody. I pulled all that out and was just going to replace it but I was wondering why that area would have insulation anyway? I can understand insulating the top of it to keep the drinks above cool but wouldn't the insulation keep that area warm, as the compressor would heat up? If so, wouldn't the idea be to keep the compressor as cool as possible and not overheat? I'm sure there is a good reason for this but if anyone can help me here, it would be appreciated
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:22 pm »

Was it for soundproofing?

Glen
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:49 am »

If you can't find a replacement motor you can have it rewound, or actually do it your self. Google rewinding a motor. My dad taught us how to wind motors when I was a kid and it's actually pretty easy. You just have to make sure the number of turns in the wire is the same. Brushes can be filed down to fit if you can't find direct replacements.

There are many places that do it, just not sure what the cost would be or even if it's worth it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Rewind-an-Electric-Motor

Has anyone tried using a modern motor with a fabricated mount to replace the old motor? I don't have a machine that uses this type of motor (yet) but motors are pretty simple machines and come in all shapes and sizes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:42:03 pm by johnieG » Logged
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

Was it for soundproofing?

Hmm, I never thought of that possibility, I would think that would make the most sense. Like I said, I trust the engineers at Westinghouse and Coke to make a good machine so they probably had good reason to install it, just wanted to see if it was worth replacing
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »

If you can't find a replacement motor you can have it rewound, or actually do it your self. Google rewinding a motor. My dad thought us how to wind motors when I was a kid and it's actually pretty easy. You just have to make sure the number of turns in the wire is the same. Brushes can be filed down to fit if you can't find direct replacements.

There are many places that do it, just not sure what the cost would be or even if it's worth it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Rewind-an-Electric-Motor

Has anyone tried using a modern motor with a fabricated mount to replace the old motor? I don't have a machine that uses this type of motor (yet) but motors are pretty simple machines and come in all shapes and sizes.

I might have to try that in my spare time. It works now but ideally I would like to have it vend via the motor, just seems more complete and original that way. If you say it's not difficult, it's worth a shot, especially since I have nothing to lose.

From what I've heard and researched myself, none of the restoration sites sell motors that match this amp and rotation type. I might be under a false assumption but I'd have to think all the sites have been looking themselves for anything they could make work. The lady at Funtronics said she/they have been looking and haven't had any luck
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

This type of motor is a brush-less design, (AC induction) & beware the left-handed threads that secure the gear-housing to the motors frame, as it's very easy to snap the heads right off of the little buggers.

Merkle-korff industries is the OEM ans still manufactures motors of this design, but you'd need to do some research speed, rotation, mounting bosses, etc.

http://www.merkle-korff.com/

I've attempted to contact them in the past, (two years ago) but they can't be bothered by small-fry's apparently, perhaps they will respond.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »

This type of motor is a brush-less design, (AC induction) & beware the left-handed threads that secure the gear-housing to the motors frame, as it's very easy to snap the heads right off of the little buggers.

Merkle-korff industries is the OEM ans still manufactures motors of this design, but you'd need to do some research speed, rotation, mounting bosses, etc.

http://www.merkle-korff.com/

I've attempted to contact them in the past, (two years ago) but they can't be bothered by small-fry's apparently, perhaps they will respond.

Funny you mention the threads, they all snapped off when I was trying to separate the two.

I went to Merkle's website and it said pretty much what you are saying, don't bother contacting them. I also believe it said that any questions regarding one of their motors found in a machine, should be directed to the manufacturer of the machine. Basically, don't bother us
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 08:18:16 pm »

Yep they're left handed, clockwise to loosen & counter-clockwise to tighten
(bizarro-world threads IE: from 1960's Germany)  upside

lesson learned here folks!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »

I used to think that it would be pretty simple to find a replacement motor for Westinghouse machines.  BUT NOPE!!!  I've been to grainger a few times even met some helpful people, called many companies and got no where.  

It's a shame too, because I really like the Westinghouse machines.  Hard to think that we have machines going all the way to mars, but no one can make a motor to fit into the Westinghouse machines.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:20:47 pm by johnieG » Logged

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: