SMC Discussion Areas
June 19, 2024, 02:38:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Stoner Theatres 2 Go  (Read 18956 times)
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

2 Stoner Theatres leaving Thursday for a fellow member.....A few pictures but more to come

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.334482236619615.81952.126665017401339&type=3
Wojcik
25 Cent Member

GO WINGS!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

They look GREAT!!! smile

1941 Stoner Theater Candy  (unrestored)
1947 Pop'Corn Sez Warmer  (restored)
1920's Coca-Cola themed cash register
S & S 700 7up ice chest
Vendo 81D
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:25 pm »

It is with great pride that I unveil this spectacular, just completed, full restoration of an original 1941 Stoner Theatre Candy machine! This is an early version of the Stoner Theatre machines that would become popular in the late 1940’s and through the 1950's and has several difference from the later models. Key differences include: an octagonal mirror vs. later versions that had a rectangular mirror with a curved top; a lighted hood above the mirror (some versions do not have this hood); two light tubes illuminating the candy art work and sample candy areas vs. nine on later models; a clamshell orientation for the opening of the candy tray area vs. the side-to-side opening on all later Stoner candy machines; and stainless steel levelers on the base.

Standard models of the Stoner Theatre became available around 1947 and were produced until the late 1950's in fairly large quantities and could be found at service stations, subway stations, motels, and in a variety of other commercial businesses around the country.   All genuine Theatre models are rare;  these versions were more expensive than standard Stoner candy machines and were used primarily inside movie screening areas, mainly in upscale theatres. The lighting on the Theatre model was intended to provide just enough ambient lighting in a darkened movie Theatre to attract customers without disturbing the actual movie.  The  Stoner Theatre model is one of the most beautiful and sought after models of antique vending by serious collectors and they have become extremely hard to locate in unrestored condition with the major components intact. Beware of fantasy Theatre machines that have been created by modifying the more common Stoner Candy machines adding aftermarket lighting and metal components. The Stoner Theatre Candy machine is a highly sought after collectible representing the pinnacle of the movie theatre experience when weekly visits to the local movie theatre was a popular way to pass time before the widespread introduction of television.  The Stoner Candy machine is an important representation of Americana from the 1940’s and 1950’s and is becoming more popular each year.

It is presumed that the early grade Stoner Theatres produced in 1941 were manufactured in low quantities and production was discontinued in 1942.  The beginning of the U.S. involvement in World War II most likely resulted in Stoner Manufacturing (located in Aurora, IL) converting their production over to wartime manufacturing as was common during that time period. Production of automobiles in the U.S. was similarly halted during the 1942-1946 time period to support the war effort.  The fact that this model Stoner Theatre predates later versions by seven to ten years adds to the difficulty in finding this early version.

Over the past 15 years, after having restored hundreds of Stoner Candy machines, this is only the third early grade Theatre I have restored and only the second machine I have restored with the lighted overhead hood.  I know of only two or three additional early Stoners in existence. This is truly a unique and rare machine and the new owner spared no expense in the restoration of this machine.  The finish is a beautiful burlwood  created using the very highest grade PPG automotive paints combined with a unique, proprietary process to bring out the wood finish and the originality of this machine. Every detail is perfect - chrome work, interior paint, coin mechanism, lighting, wiring, and trays. No detail was overlooked. Even the art work on the glass is completely correct as manufactured, recreated by piecing together photos from the 4 or 5 known early Theatres to produce a 100% accurate composite. This is truly a rare and historic museum grade machine and is the centerpiece of my client’s collection of antique vending restorations.

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:01 pm »

Very nice work!!!

And great write up on the history of them!!!

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »

They look amazing. Very nice. May I ask what those machines cost with restoration? I'd love to own one of these machines someday! Thanks.

Vendo 81A
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:44:54 pm »

Curtis,

As always you have out done yourself my friend.  I know there is a member in here (roadman) who said you have a couple of his machines. If these are his then man he is in for a super treat!!  This makes me want to get back to work on restoring my Stoner Theater ASAP. By then way Curtis, I still need to reach out to you about where to get a new light assembly.  Will call soon

As always, you are the best when it comes to Stoners

Jeff

Pepsi 81, 7up 81, Generic 81
Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
2 Stoner Theaters, Cigarette, Pastry, Cafe 500
Minit Pop, Popcorn Sez, You'll Like It
U Select It
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:10 pm »

Stunning.   Wow - quite an amazing pair!

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »

Beautiful... just beautiful.

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »

Curtis,

I saw the pictures on Facebook and had to jump over here to see if there were more.  Those two machines look outstanding--UNBELIEVABLE!  happydrinkers Thanks for the history lesson on the early model Theater.  I had no idea that my machine was so rare.  I am fortunate enough to have one of those in my collection and would love to have you transform it back to it's original beauty when I am done paying college tuition.  I am glad my wife encouraged me to keep it when I did my recent Stoner sell-off, I guess she knows a little more about collecting than I thought.  I was wondering what you used for the pulls as those look great but slightly different from what is on my machine.

In any event, you have outdone yourself on these two and the owner is going to be incredibly happy with the results.  I guess I will be keeping my remaining three Stoners: 1. Early model Theater, 2. Later model Theater (need to find a tall base for it) and 3. Junior with Gum Wheel.  The Stoner Gods have been very good to me!

drinking Tim drinking
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:50 pm »

The knobs are the replacement knobs we make and we designed a new and better design for the coin return pull knob as the original was welded to a piece on the coin mec after installed. We out done ourselves on this design.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: