SMC Discussion Areas
June 18, 2024, 09:13:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V23 on American Rustoration  (Read 20242 times)
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:40 am »

I tape the shows like rick's because I am like Eric I like to see what is brought in but I dont care for all the fluff so I just fast forward watch what restoration they show and the final product.  Only about 10 minutes a show, saves me time and I dont talk to the T.V. so much.  As to the price's if someone is crazy enough or rich enough to pay that then both parties walk away happy.  I have always been willing to pay for what I thought was reasonable but remember Rick has an Earl Schreib sign in the back and just what you can see of his paint technique leaves a lot to be desired.

aspbear
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 10:17:40 am »

Dude... it's ALL tv. Do you really think Big Paul and Junior build a bike in 3 days or Ty Pennington builds a complete home
in under a week? It's all 'fluff".  

The quality is in YOUR control. There's no rule that says a full time restorer (or compressor mechanic) has to go BROKE!!!  I charge
what I charge and I sleep just fine at night. I'm right there, on the edge of what I can charge, and frankly, it weeds out the "tire kickers".
I don't want to do a half ass job for someone, and then lose sleep because I used a 50 year old fan motor, simply because it ran.

You Guys can kick Rick around all you want. I've spoken with him a few times and have been in his store, at Cesar's Palace...yes Cesar's.
None of you guys could even afford the rent of that store, let alone afford the shop area he had...and ALL BEFORE HE HAD A TV SHOW!!!

You restoration Guys want to work for free...okay. Customers looking for restoration... you want to pay for a half assed job...fine.
You come to me....you're gonna pay for it.  I will tell you this though... I'll put my machines up against anyone, and
I'll show you how to make a profit and how to keep your customers happy.

Marvin, you are like I am, in the business...and want to see EVERYTHING. Me too, but the typical customer...they don't need to go through
all of that, and the folks at home, watching tv...boring.    hahaha sure, have a camera crew in my shop, watching for 3 or 4 hours, me... building
a compressor unit... better to set up a camera on "This Old House" and watch paint dry!  Oo

Eric,  You charge what you charge and the customer gets grade A work.  Nothing wrong with making a profit.  If you took something in to get worked on and was promised a BMW, then got a Yugo, would you be happy?

Rick charges what he charges and the customer (which is really not the customer generally) gets grade C work with grade A prices.  

Example - They restored a motorcycle not long ago.  They went as far as disassembling the wheels.  Every spoke, which was rusted and pitted was rechromed.  They went back together and looked like crap.  Had that been me and I paid 6500.00 for a "full restoration" I would have been unhappy.  Custom made replacement spokes are cheap and easy to get.

I'm not trying to be mean to the show, Rick, employees, or anything like that.  Maybe I set me expectations to high.  Since the people on the show are not real customers you never see someone disappointed with quality.      
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47:22 am »

1. Rick's treatment of Josh (loman4ec) over the Victor Cooler transaction.
2. The show's (I won't say Rick, because this was a show story) presentation of the VMC 27 restoration.
3. The infamous Vendo 39 transformation from a Cavalier 72.  

They gotta do something to get people watching, because the advertising is where the real money is.

Just my 2 cents (well, 1 cent after Obama take his cut).

Wayne

I don't know about Josh and the Victor thing.

I saw the show on the 23 and it looked like a truck hit it. The customer is "ALWAYS" right.
If it couldn't be fixed, then a donor machine is used...well, okay.  Oo

The 39 to the 72...I know something about that too, IT WASN'T Ricks call, it was the producers
of the show, needing "something" to put on film, as a finished product, because of "time". Seriously,
don't you think he knows, that WE know, the difference...really???

And sure, my compressor work is the best of MY ability, and good enough to charge accordingly. There are
times though, that customer thinks I can do paint and body. Well, I charge accordingly there as well. I know I'm
not THAT "guy" who can get away with charging $5k...but I know and my customer knows this up front and it's not
a problem.

I never did like "bullies" or airing "dirty laundry" out in the open and in this case, you don't want this man to restore
your stuff....don't use him. If you're jealous cause' he has a show and you don't, then you need to check the ego at the
door or go to the History Channel, stomp your little feet, hold your breath, turn blue, and beg for a spot.

I for one, couldn't stand having camera men up my ass, every step for 12 hrs a day, no matter how much they offered.

and Wayne, you can have my penny... rather than me sending it to Obama. shhhh... don't tell anyone though.  Cool

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 01:26:36 pm »

The 39 to the 72...I know something about that too, IT WASN'T Ricks call, it was the producers
of the show, needing "something" to put on film, as a finished product, because of "time". Seriously,
We all know why it happened, but I don't understand is why they used a C-72? Surely a restored V-39 could be found! I bet there is one right now in Glen's shop 4 hours away in CA!

I for one, couldn't stand having camera men up my ass, every step for 12 hrs a day, no matter how much they offered.
I agree with you there! Uggghhh! And on top of that, I'd have all of you guys bashing me, my kids and wife everyday about something we said or did! It would get ugly quick!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 03:01:17 pm »

and Wayne, you can have my penny... rather than me sending it to Obama. shhhh... don't tell anyone though.  Cool

I guess that was the thing that got me on the 39/72 thing was I thought Rick would have had a 39 in his shop.

Eric, I am hoping for a turnaround in November for the US.  The country is getting flushed as we speak.  Then, maybe we can keep a few of our pennies for a change!  Heck, in my state (Maryland), we already have a large gas tax.  Now, our governor wants to charge an ADDITIONAL 6% tax on gas.  That will be a tax on the current tax.  However, we have a Democratic legislature, soooo.....

I try to keep smiling and REVEL in the fact I get to play with combat vehicles (Abrams, Bradley, etc) at work!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:05:22 pm by 90grad » Logged

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »

Eric, I am hoping for a turnaround in November for the US.  The country is getting flushed as we speak.  Then, maybe we can keep a few of our pennies for a change!  Heck, in my state (Maryland), we already have a large gas tax.  Now, our governor wants to charge an ADDITIONAL 6% tax on gas.  That will be a tax on the current tax.  However, we have a Democratic legislature, soooo.....

I try to keep smiling and REVEL in the fact I get to play with combat vehicles (Abrams, Bradley, etc) at work!

Not ready to open that "can of worms" Brother... I still haven't found anyone who voted for that Douche Bag, yet he got
elected... go figure.

And you know... I love my Military Boys and Girls (hoorah)  Keep the big "Tonka Toys" fit, as to protect all who serve...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:06:53 pm by globalcompressors » Logged

90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »

Eric,

If you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods during a weekday, I've got several Abrams tanks to pick from that I will gladly let you drive.  They are sweet and you will love it! 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:04:17 pm by 90grad » Logged

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 07:03:28 pm »

Road Trip Eric,
I'll meet you there. Can I play to?
Back to the thread...
Creighton
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 07:04:37 pm »

Tanks hold 4!

Thread stuff...

I had a couple of 23s once, but they were way shot.  I wound up parting them out.  I still would love to get one, as I think their uniqueness makes them cool.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:44 pm »

I love it!

THAT would be so cool!  Cool

yes Creighton...you can come too!!!  hahahaha

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: