SMC Discussion Areas
July 06, 2024, 03:56:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persistance pays off  (Read 7729 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:49 am »

Spotted an ad on Craigslist last October for a Coca Cola neon. Called the guy and said I would buy it. Went to his house not far away and purchased it as it was better than described although the neon tube was broken.
       After paying and on my way to the car he asked if I had any interest in an old "Coke box". First thing that came to my mind was the typical Westinghouse chest but thought I should look at it since I was already here.
       He then walked me around to his patio where it has been sitting for over 10 years. He said the compressor leaked freon, he has had it fixed twice and it failed again so he quit using it.
       Although I was in shock, I calmly asked him how much he wanted for it. Of course the reply was "I don't know what it's worth now.....how much will you give me"?
       So the game begins, I offered him $500.00 and he replied that he would think about it. A month later I called him back and left a message but no reply so I went back to his house and found him working on one of his several classic trucks.
      I asked if he still had his old Coke box and he said yes but a friend of his was interested in it and he felt obligated. Another month passed and I stopped by again. His friend was still interested but had not shown him any money yet. I replied that I had cash so he told me to check back in a few months.
      Respecting his wishes, I held off but didn't forget about it. Last weekend I returned and asked about it again. He still had it so I made another offer and this time showed him some cash. He said he would have to call his friend and went into the house for a minute. When he came back, he said.........."well it's yours"  biggrin
      Although it is also missing some vending linkage so it was set for freeplay, I was thrilled to become the new owner. Lesson here is to never give up.
      Here is a picture of the old "Coke box" and the neon sign that started it all.

Glen
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:42 am »

They both look great. Great find.... happydrinkers

Rod
Fun-Tronics
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:08 am »

Great score Glen!
Is it a "B" or "C"? I'm guessing a "B" with the white medallion, but they decided not to put the chrome trim back on when it was painted.
So does the compresser cool after all? A few times I've gotten a machine for cheap because the seller says it does not cool and then I find out that it DOES cool when it is wired correctly.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:01 am »

great score Glen The machine is good the sign is really cool   tounge , I've never see one like that .
I'm going out tonight to pick up a re-pop Glasscock the guy said bring some extra money he has a bunch
of Coke stuff ( My luck probably all new crap)  you never know  smile  you gave me hope Glen that I may find a sign.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:45:55 am by Pat Pixley » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:19 pm »

Nice scores on both counts.  I have a few guys that have stuff that I would like to get that I keep in touch with.  You never know when they will decide to sell.

drinking Tim drinking
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:16:05 pm »

Great Score and Great Story to go with it... Never give up.. you just never know what may pop up..
I love those listings of "Coke Box" ,"Old cooler" .. those are usually the best scores as the seller didn't do  their research to find out the current value of the item.. I once bought a Vendo 81b from a lady who listed it as a "Pop Fridge"... just took a shot on it , she sent a photo of a Vendo 81b painted all red and sign tacked over the coke logo..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:17 pm »

Very Nice! Sign is outstanding!!
Creighton
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:43:28 am »

Sweet!!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
aristocrat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

great result!

you can still find stuff at a great

hoping to find my piece of hidden treasure

..............one day!

GP
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:02 pm »

Awesome score Glen ! ! !
I also have faith in Patience and Persistence...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: