SMC Discussion Areas
June 18, 2024, 09:07:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gas pump  (Read 34354 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 10:22:21 pm »

Congrats!! Will look great restored.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 10:37:59 pm »

Congrats!! Will look great restored.
Creighton

Thanks! I hope to make it an amoco pump. I'm all ready getting one of those rubber nozzle covers from the owner of a convienence store chain here in nebraska. Nice guy and he said he will give it to me for free too. Should get it monday or tuesday.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 06:43:13 am »

It looks like the pump is still attached below the computer ( the gallons and  dollar dials)
Your life will be easier  taking it off, it won't hurt  the value, will take 50 pounds off the weight, and unless uo are planning to  connect it to a tank to pump fuel, totally unnecessary.

Looks to be a fun project

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 08:20:03 am »

Nice pump.. Will this be displayed inside or outside? I always wanted to put a garden hose real inside a gas pump and use it to wash cars. Basically just make the pump hide the hose on the inside. Then instead of the gas hose and nozzle use the garden hose. It would be a very practical use for an old gas pump.

Josh
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 10:38:37 am »

It looks like the pump is still attached below the computer ( the gallons and  dollar dials)
Your life will be easier  taking it off, it won't hurt  the value, will take 50 pounds off the weight, and unless uo are planning to  connect it to a tank to pump fuel, totally unnecessary.

Looks to be a fun project
I removed the actual pump from the pumping components to make it fit in the car but the other doo dads are still in there. Going to open up the pump just to see how it works. Was full of water and does not smell like gas anymore so it should not be too bad. Only thing from the bottom there that i'm keeping is the electrical conduits and the motor because if it still runs it looks like a nice motor to have.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 10:39:53 am »

Nice pump.. Will this be displayed inside or outside? I always wanted to put a garden hose real inside a gas pump and use it to wash cars. Basically just make the pump hide the hose on the inside. Then instead of the gas hose and nozzle use the garden hose. It would be a very practical use for an old gas pump.

Josh
Going to display it inside. That sounds like a neat idea to do with a pump. Would be cool if you could figure out how to make the computer run from the water running through the hose.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:39 pm »

Found this under the Phillips 66 decal. Was not sure what Derby was but my mom said there was one or two around here when she was younger.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 10:23:41 pm »

Made a little bit of progress on the pump. Started removing the heavy pumping parts from it. Got the motor, the pump, and some other doodads out of there. Motor runs so I am going to keep that and the pump I want to open up just to see how it works and there is this gray thing that hooked to the computer that I don't know what it is or how it works but it too is begging to be opened up and figured out. lol! I'm only putting this one tube back in because it gives the hose outlet stability and it does not smell like gas because the person who had it before the person who sold it to me stored it upside down and water got inside and the smell was long gone by the time I got it. Going to call up the owner of a chain of convienence stores tomorrow to see when I can get the rubber nozzle cover with the amoco logo on it form him and I am going to take the base to the self serve car wash and clean it up. I swear that every part I took out weighed as much as the whole pump does lol!

Electrical Box

Draining the water from the brown thing

Other parts I removed

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 06:39:36 am »

Be careful when taking everything apart. DO NOT USE A TORCH to remove anything. Remember the insides probably have gas still inside. My dad saved an old friend of his once from that. He was just starting to disassemble the pump with a cutting torch when we pulled up. Not a very smart idea!
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 11:05:36 pm »

Does anyone know where I can buy a new computer for it? The one I have is not doing too good. It looks fine for being a static display but I want to make it motorized and I don't think mine will work for that. I have it soaking in simple green right now so I will check in the morning and see but I think I should look for a new one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: