SMC Discussion Areas
October 06, 2024, 01:28:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Gas pump question  (Read 6554 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: June 14, 2009, 10:19:33 am »

I found an old Gas pump local to me that is complete and in good condition. It needs paint but has been sandblasted and primered. I didn't know what it was but another member found out for me that it is a Rapidayton 1420. Does anyone know anything about this model pump? I can get it for $250 and only a 45 minute drive each way. I would like to have some old pumps but I only want it if it is a great deal. If its not much of a collectable pump I will pass and see what else is out there. I wish I could post a pic but I am still figuring out this Mac. It saves it i a format that can't be posted. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:26:24 am »

Here's a pic of the pump Josh is interested in.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:48:54 am »

I think you found a better then fair deal, butttt, I am finding restored machines, all of the expensive work done, for seven and eight hundred dollars.

I would buy it for $200.00 if it were close to me.

Good luck.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:31:34 pm »

Thank you for the imput. That was my thoughts. However it is a rather unpopular brand. I can find nothing about it online. Its a Rapidayton 1420. Does that hurt the value if I were to ever sell it? This will be my first pump and I like its looks and it will be for me however I am sure I will want something different someday and I don't want to be upside down in it. Any thoughts?
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »

The tall pumps are more popular then the short ones.

I like the Wayne 100s. The tall ones. And everything is available for them online. So restoring one is a breeze. If you are really concerned I would recommend you hold off till you find something that really grabs you.

But at two hundred I would buy the pump you are looking at and put it away for awhile. Especially if it is complete. I bought a short Wayne 100 recently for 150.00. And it is missing so much that I think it is best just to use it as a parts pump for the Tall Wayne I have.  And I was lucky to get it, another gentleman was in route to buy it and I beat him there.

But if you really want my advise, wait for a restored pump. They are turning p regularly on Craigslist in my area for $500 to $800. Just plug it in and enjoy the lights.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:39 pm »

The success in  reselling it depend on 1) the economy at that time and 2) how good the restoration looks.
i don't think the problem is it's unpopular, it's a model made one year, from a small company, small compared to the number of pumps Wayne. Bennett or Gilbarco produced. My only concern is finding  parts if they are needed.

If it can wait until you get stateside, wait until you can see it in person. You should be able to tell if there are  parts missing that could cause you headaches.   And a pump does look cool between a jukebox and a round top

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:56:54 pm »

Thanks guys. I am not looking to turn it right away I was just worried if I do ever want to sell it but I think Kiloy's statement is spot on. Its all about how it looks. I would prefer not to buy restored as I think the restoration is half the fun and I am very very picky on how it is done. Anyway this may all be for nothing. I agree I need to see it in person as he said someone is already interested and going to see it this week. I hope its not someone that saw my post here.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »

Don't worry, it isn't me. I spent my allowance for this month.

And you are correct, it is better to restore it yourself if you have the skills. I am also very particular.

And don't worry. if this one slips through our fingers, another will come along real soon. And it may even be a better deal.

Good luck.
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:19:27 pm »

Well it NOT ME !!!! 

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 11:46:06 pm »

Its me... I'm flying over specially... Have said I'll have it but only if it fits in my hand luggage....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: