SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 12:49:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible vendo 56 scam on ebay  (Read 10218 times)
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« on: December 03, 2005, 11:16:48 am »

All,

I found this machine on eBay and then, by chance, saw the same picture on another website.  This may be a scam.  The seller only accepts money orders/cashier's checks.  He also says his dad has had the machine for several years.  This machine has obviously been restored and the people who did it, www.gameroomantiques.com, have the SAME PICTURE on their website.  They are located in DC and this seller says he's from Maine.  I've already sent a notice to the guy who has bid, basically telling him to try to find out if this guy is legit as best he can and also told him about the other website.  The eBay # is 7201994007 and the link is:

Scam?

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 03:39:35 pm »

Looks like a scam to me.. the picture isn't of the actual machine according to the seller:

Q: Hi, is this the picture of the machine or one like it, and do you have more of the one you have. ken.

A: This is not the real picture but is the same machine in realy good shape it is missing the black 10 cent label same colors same model but mine isn't as shiny. I am new @ this and don't have a computer camera. It was my dads machine he had it in his office for as long as I can rember a good 30 years. Dad died last summer my mom is having trouble with her bills cause she lived on dads check and the machine makes her cry so she wants to sell it and I as her daughter am selling it for her cause she is 72 and never had a computer she put it in the paper for $1000 but it did not sell. She had my husband put it in her barn we put a sheet on it but the barn has no heat and the cold winter might break it.  

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 04:07:53 pm »

Does not look like a scam to me.  If I were close enough, I would bid on it and if I was high bidder would insist on paying with cash at time of pickup.
         May be a sleeper here

Glen
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 04:48:35 pm »

I have to agree with Glenn.

If you insist on picking it up and paying at the time you can't go wrong. The only problem being no photo of actual machine.

The english is too good to be one of those East European scams. A friend of mine got stung for £130.00 yesterday on a I-pod where a genuine sellers account had been corrupted. She is thankful that she didn't fall for the PayPal scam and have her bank account cleared out.

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 05:36:35 pm »

I'm still skeptical.  I asked (politely) the seller why the picture was the same as on a restoration website and got no reply as of yet (sent this morning).  I agree picking it up is the only way.  But, not disclosing the machine pictured is not the one for sale is HUGE.  A good test would be to look at a map and find a town about an hour from the person and send a message saying you're from that town and you'd like to drive over and see it before you bid.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 07:52:42 pm »

From someone who receives scams on a fairly regular basis.  And as someone who intercepts things to do with scams that sometimes reach the millions of $$$'s amounts.  The use of very correct and proper English is not a very good yardstick (or meter stick) in determining scam or not.  If you want to run a scam there are people that will sell the goods needed to make it very real appearing.  I see and personally receive offers that look better than something from legitimate sources.  Do not be afraid to forward such things to spoof@paypal.com, or notify eBay security, or the FBI cybercrimes unit.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 12:11:43 am »

The FBI has a cybercrimes unit??? Wow.

Isn't it a shame that something like Ebay that was built on trust and free trade has got to the stage where everything that you consider buying you have to investigate first to ensure that you are not being ripped off.

The hardluck story, given as an excuse for selling is something I've seen a good few times but I would still venture a little further down the road before competely dismissing it.

Scammers are very proffesional. The Bogus sites that are set up are very clever. "Let's be careful out there."

Dave
glassbottlesrule
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 12:44:16 am »

I'm voting scam.  The 1 feedback that is on a purchase and charging the flat rate shipping and saying nothing about pick-up just doesn't ring true to me.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 03:39:13 am »

I'll vote extreme caution on this one. Don't think an eBay newbie would come up with "phillips6699" for an ID. Interesting to see if they respond to an onsight viewing. Great idea 90grad!!
Creighton
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 04:57:11 am »

Go on then

who's going to arrange for a viewing to see if this is just some poor newbie or yet another
fraudster out to get what they can. I'll e-mail asking about a buy it now price, payment etc and see what I get back.

Dave
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: