SMC Discussion Areas
September 28, 2024, 02:32:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The cooling unit is out - what now???  (Read 32908 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 02:17:42 pm »

Hello Everyone

thanks to Wayne (90grad) I now have my cooling unit up and running.

I have one question. The compressor seems very loud. Its much louder than the other V-39. I have checked for vibration but can't find anything.

Its the compressor without the fan attached. Are they significantly louder than those with the fan. My other V-39 has the fan and when that kicks in you can hear it but other than that it purrs. This new one roars and could possibly keep the neighbours up.

I am going to run it through the night to see if it makes any difference. I would imagine its been sometime since this baby has been used.

Any comments gratefully appreiciated.

Dave
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 04:16:42 pm »

Okay,

so now the thing is deadly quite. No compressor noise at all.
Plse excuse my complete ignorance but does the 3 in 1 work a bit like the fans and only kick in from time to time or should the compessor run the whole time.

Thanks

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 06:21:53 pm »

Dave,

The compressor should not run all the time.  When the inside reaches the proper temperature, the thermostat should kick the compressor off.  The 3 'N 1 is a high-tech starter.  The only thing that should run constantly is the evaporator fan (inside the cabinet where the sodas are).

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 02:12:49 pm »

Right,

My machine is now getting very cold. In fact the bottom under the fan is freezing over so I'm thinking that pewrhaps its getting too cold. The thermostat is showing seven so I turn it down to 4. The  compressor now seems to be running the whole time without clicking out and it doesn't seem to be getting any warmer in there. Still surplus water that is not draining away and is freezing.

How can I check to see if the thermostat is even working.

Can it noly be the thermostat or could there be an issue with the compressor. I know I sohlud have replaced the thermostat when I ordered all the other bits.

I have the thermostat in on the shelf next to the fan, its like that on my other V-39. Is that the right location for it?? That proby thing I have just tucked around the back.

I'm also worried about water and electrics. what should  do???

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 11:50:35 am »

Dave,

Sounds like an issue with the thermostat.  If your machine is getting cold, the compressor should be fine.  The tip of the thermostat (proby thing) bulb should be as near to the coils on the evaporator as possible without touching them.  I had to tinker with mine to get it so the compressor would cycle properly.  Try turning the thermostat down to 1 and see if the machine shuts off.  When I rewired mine, I couldn't even set the thermostat as high as 1.  Mine goes up to 4 and after playing wth the location of the tip of the stat line, I have it set on 2 and it cycles perfectly.

There may be a slot or tube where the probe is supposed to go.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006, 11:58:35 am »

Dave,

Sent you an email, too.  One other thing to check is when your compressor is running, turn the thermostat all the way off.  If the compressor shuts down, then you probably just have an issue of where the probe is placed.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006, 01:04:32 pm »

Hi Wayne

I think that the Thermostat might be "on its way out". It will turn the compressor off when I turn it off but otherwise the compressor just contiunes to run constantly. I have moved the probe around a bit but it doesn't make a difference.

I have tried the thermostat from my other machine and it works fine with the comprssor. (The other machine has a thermostat that bolts onto the fan unit unlike the original one that has the probe) I have put the probe one in the other machine and this causes that compressor to run constantly.

So, I'm pretty confident that it is a fualty thermostat.

My next question. Can I replace it with a readily available normal fridge one like the link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fridge-....hosting

Or do I have to get one from the parts suplliers???

Thanks

Dave
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 01:05:22 pm »

Opps

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 01:06:42 pm »

Can't get it to link the number is

Dave

davethebirdman