SMC Discussion Areas
June 24, 2024, 08:15:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The cooling unit is out - what now???  (Read 31093 times)
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2006, 09:02:30 am »

Dave,

On my Cavalier, I couldn't turn the thermostat even to the #1 setting before I got the probe placed in the correct spot.  When you swapped the stats, did the other (your first machine) machine still work correctly?

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2006, 09:26:04 am »

Wayne

It did. So its not the T-Stat. I have now turned the t-stat to just after 0 and its clicking on and off.
This is enough to send me round the bend. I have put that bloody prbe everywhere.

When I spoke to Steve he said just under the drum and see how you get on. Did that with the first V-39 and works great. Did it with the second one and nope...

I'm now going to turn the t-stat up just a tadge to see what it does.

Dave
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2006, 12:03:42 pm »

Right - An update

Its working in a sort of fashion. Clicking on and off now but all too readily. It cooling so I think I'll just let it run.
Just one thing - The 3 in 1 I can hear that clicking in and out. Is that good???

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2006, 12:40:49 pm »

The 3 'N 1 is a solid state relay.  I have two and have never heard any clicking.  Are your 39's identical?  That may seem to be a dumb question, but are the evaporator assemblies the same?  Maybe that could be an issue.  On my 51, I stuck the replacement stat's probe in the exact same spot as the original and it didn't work.  It was doing the exact same thing yours is.  I couldn't even turn the dial to the #1 position.  It also cycled on and off a lot.  So, I called Steve back and he told me to fiddle with where I placed it.  After pulling my hair out, I ran it to the bottom of the evap coil (the original probe was placed at the top) and almost touched the coil.  The probe is no more than 1/8" from the evaporator coil.  This did it.

On my Westinghouse water cooler, Steve gave me a different type of thermostat.  He said people have a little more luck with these sometimes in the water baths.  It doesn't have the numbered dial, but works great.  You can use these in regular machines, too.  You may want to call him Monday, explain what the issue is, and see if he'll trade you.  He told me if this one didn't work on my Westinghouse, he'd trade me for one like yours.  So, you might be out just postage.

If you figure out it is the 3 'N 1, let me know and I'll get you another one.  Something tells me it isn't, because your machine is cycling.  The relay starts the machine and keeps it running after a signal is received from the thermostat.  The stat acts like a switch.

When you play with the dial on the stat (even with the machine off), you should hear the click when you turn it up and when you turn it back.  This tells you where it's kicking on and off.  The ice trick works too.  Put the probe on an ice cube and the stat shouldn't click until a higher number, like Bob said before.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006, 12:48:53 pm »

Dave, turn it off for a while !!!!!
       When a compressor is turned off....it must stay off for at least 5 minutes while the high pressure in the system dissapates. Your overload sensor is detecting a problem and keeps shutting you down. Clicking on / off consistantly is not good.
         Secondly, can you clip that capillary tube directly onto one of your cooling coils?

Glen
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2006, 12:49:21 pm »

Thanks Wayne

Its cooling at the moment but running in quick cycles (if that makes sense)
The 3 in 1 definately clicks in and out so I don't know what that does.

The two machines are NOT identical. The old one has the fan type compressor whilst as you know the new one has the old type.

I asked Steve which was best for me and he recommended the air sensor rather than the bolt on type (which I had previously on my old machine)

Not sure how often a compressor should kick in. Its probably every couple of minutes at the mo...
The old machine kicks in every five or so minutes.

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 01:05:43 pm »

Dave,

The compressor should be off for a while after it shuts down.  My 51 holds temperature well and the compressor stays off for over 30 minutes before coming back on.  Think of a soda machine as a refigerator with a coin mechanism.  Your fridge probably stays off for while after the motor (compressor) stops.

Man, this is a tough one!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 02:04:47 pm »

Yep

that's what I thought.

Looking at the tip of the T-Stat is it definately a sensor rather than the type that needs to be bolted on?? Could that be the problem. Has Steve givn me the wrong  T-Stats. (Surely not)

Dave
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2006, 02:10:02 pm »

Just seen Glens post above.

Dave

90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2006, 02:28:30 pm »

I wish I had a 39 to look at while you were going through this, but oh well.  Maybe a call to Steve is in order to see if you can get the type of stat I have for my water box.  He stated people have had good luck with these when the one you have doesn't work well.  Also, could you post some photos of the evap area?

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up