SMC Discussion Areas
April 20, 2024, 09:26:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An old favorite  (Read 1562 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: April 18, 2023, 05:54:56 pm »

I just thought… Wow, times have changed. I remember a time when all the buzz was the talk of who’s going to the Chicagoland show and where we should meet up for dinner the night before.

Now when you ask who’s going, the response would be Absolutely, no one, lol. So sad.

I went to the new location the first show and was not too excited. Pheasant Run was a dive, but that was the place to be. Great friends, good times, nice machines and games. I miss that event.

I was going to go next week, because I sold a game to a guy in Australia and he asked me to drop it off there so his buddy can hold it for him. He called me just now to bow out of the deal because, believe it or not, his friends aren’t going to the show either.  I told him that I know exactly what he’s going through because anyone who I knew that would usually go to the show, isn’t going. I can definitely understand why. The venue lost it’s soul.

Again, so sad.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 05:57:15 pm by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 06:19:09 pm »

I use to like the original show...just not the Chicago area in general anymore...haven't gone in many years.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 07:49:57 pm »

Much agreed Larry ! ! !  Always a treat to meet up with familiar faces and even introduce new ones!

I haven't attended the Grayslake location only because a few major changes in my life over the last four years have taken precedence... With all the poor feedback, I may wait until I hear good things again or perhaps another promoter/venue will bring something to market...

My six cents,

Jim

Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 08:12:36 pm »

The main reason I liked the old venue was to meet and hang out with my friends ! There was good food and drinks close by . Grays lake not so much went once people say it was great I can tell ya it was cold and costly and I beleive there was a total of about 20-25 people set up out side
Never planing on going back .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Zerbie
10 Cent Member

Bob

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 09:11:42 am »

This is unfortunate to hear about this venue. I never went. I got into the hobby rather late compared to a lot of folks on here (2016). Based on what I'm reading, unless something changes, I'll never have the opportunity to meet a lot of great folks in the hobby. 

Jacobs 56 Restored
Vendo 81D "restorebished"
Vendo 81B - restoration in process
VMC Pepsi 81 - in line for restoration
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 01:49:10 pm »

Never been to new venue but also here it’s just not same

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 12:37:58 am »

I went to the new location twice just not the same... Pheasant Run is now gone... literally torn down from what I was told... and I don't collect like I did... change in interest and hobbies... But we do go see Joey in AR...
Joey has a great swap meet at his RED STAR Antique shop in Mountain Home Arkansas twice a year so we enjoy going there to see what we can find... His store IS THE PLACE.... soda, gas and oil... it's a must stop....
Where else can you go and pull an ice cold soda out of an all original embossed RC 110 self serve?...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 02:30:43 pm »

Grayslake is pitiful. As Fleetwood Mac used to sing “never going back again. “

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Pages: [1]   Go Up