SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 12:12:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restore or not to restore.  (Read 12345 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: March 03, 2018, 09:44:40 am »

Restore or not to restore, that is the question.

I often wonder about that question and I do appreciate all the time and effort someone puts into a restoration but sometimes I wonder why.  I'd take an original over a restored any day.  I still don't see the need to restore something if you could clean it up and it works fine.

I'd even go as far as ONLY painting a machine, which seems to be frowned upon, but if the insides work, why restore the insides?  Doesn't taking the parts apart, cleaning, and lubing work great.  Why does everything have to be zinc plated.  If the part lasted this long, I don't believe it needs to be plated.  Just clean it and lube if necessary.  I guess I'm the only one who thinks that's O.K., lol.

I have two items that are "Restored."  My Popperette, which was filthy, missing wiring, full of maggot husks (thousands of maggots throughout), and had bad paint.  I had no choice.  The other one was my Evans Winterbook, which was in terrible condition too.

Then there are a few machines sitting in my basement staring at me saying when are you going to finish me.  One is a Stoner Coffee with the changer, and DuGrenier candy man.  Both have been painted, but the insides were only taken apart and cleaned.  Forgive me Lord for I have sinned.

Three complete repaints, stoner candy, dual hot nut machine, and my Cigaromat 3 pull with the original stand.  I bought it repainted or as they called it "Restored."  The insides are fine.  Just needed a good cleaning.

My VMC72 and CS-96 Coke machines, Vendo Ice Cream machine, National Cigarette machine, Rowe gum, Rowe candy, Candyette, Watling scale, Hamilton Changer, Coin-O-Matic Cashier, Seeburg A, Mills Do Re Mi, Seeburg 200-C1, Seeburg wall box, Penny Box, Genco ski ball, United Falcon, United Embassy, CC rocket Shuffle, Computer Pachinko, Booze Barometer, CC Jukebox, Williams Base Hit, Bally Sharp Shooter, Bally Skill Roll, Bally turret bowling, Acme Roulette, Bally Fleet, Bally High Hand, Bally Streamline, Atari Pole Position, 40 various beer signs,and my Exhibit Supply High Ball have only been cleaned, lubed, and put back together.  They all look and work fine.

So my question is why do we need to restore?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:59:14 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:34:13 am »

I few years ago I said or my rule of thumb was if a machine wasn't a 7 or better then restore it, now I would say if a machine isn't a 6 or better restore it. I have both restored and unrestored machines, I like them both. I think as a buyer the better investment is a unrestored machine if it's rather nice. I also know unrestored machines are far easier to sell. My 2 cents.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:50:07 am »

I had 2 self serve machines for sale for the same price a while ago. One was restored inside and out, the other was 100% original.

The buyer chose the unrestored machine!  happydrinkers

Glen
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:30:20 pm »

I have some nice survivors in my small collection but a few of my coolers are just too far gone... They have either been painted with a roller, missing a few parts, or just not presentable
as they sit now... My Hires is a good example of restoring.... The MA'S is too nice to mess with... it's a nice little survivor...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Stotman

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:43:46 am »

You bring up a great question. I have an appreciation for both restored and unrestored. Because I am cheap, I usually end up buying things in horrible condition and my only choice is to restore them. However, I enjoy the process of restoration so that is ok. I have an appreciation for the time and effort that goes into a restoration and I sometimes look back on some items I have restored and I can’t believe I actually spent the time and effort to have done the restoration. With that said, I have a popperette that I restored and now I do not want to use it because I know how dirty it will get. How dumb is that? This is where I wish I had a nice unrestored original.

I have also collected cars over the years and although I can truly appreciate the time and cost that goes into making a classic car perfect, I would rather have an unrestored driver. At our local car show there is a guy who has an old 59 vette that he pulled out of a barn. It has some cracked fiberglass faded paint and would be considered a beater in the day, but I would rather have that car than any other at the show. The nicest car I ever owned was my least favorite because I was afraid to drive it anywhere. I am currently restoring a 1945 chevy 1/2 ton pickup and I am purposely restoring it as a driver. I am reminded that for trucks rolling off the line in 1945 there was scant attention paid to fit and finish and they used straight enamel paint. These were work trucks. My restoration has taken me 10 years now, but I am almost finished. Over the years the truck has had a few mishaps while sitting in my garage that have resulted in a few scratches and small dents. Don’t care and that is why I love this truck.

After having written all of this I realize I have no idea whether I like unrestored or restored better. I guess the answer for me is “it depends.”
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:48:27 pm »

"I have a popperette that I restored and now I do not want to use it because I know how dirty it will get. How dumb is that?"

Ha,  I agree wholeheartedly.  Sometimes, I am almost relieved when something that is restored gets a nick in it.  Then I feel I can take down the velvet ropes and use it.

A lot of stuff.
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »

Larry’s my Buddy !!

And I believe along the same lines . Larry reworked my Popperette and the paint wasn’t perfect compared to the work Larry did on the insides but I use it and it’s all original other then the reproduction base I got from Jim ( side note my was a counter top model )  Which is what I like . 90 % of my machine are original showing dings and dents and even a little rust .
But I’ve had a couple machine restored to save them as the paint was gone and surface rust was heavey so they need it .
There is a need for restoration to preserve them .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 02:57:34 pm »

These were originally placed next to each other to show customers the amount of work that goes into a restoration.
It is amazing how many people tell us they would love to buy the unrestored one for daily use. They call it patina...... biggrin

Glen
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 05:16:26 pm »

My preference is noted in my signature below, but I must be in the minority.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 05:01:09 pm »

Great Topic!!!
most of you know I restore Soda machines, Gas pumps and Candy/Popcorn machines. I consider my restorations to be very nice and would hold them up against anyones...
However in my personal collection, I only own one restored machine (Stoner Jr Candy Vendor).

I have always held the standard that if it's not nice enough to put in the living room, I should restore it..

however Larry' holds a good point... and for example my Daily use Vendo 81D I own was a VERY nice clean original paint machine.. however I did take out the liner, clean up the rust/moisture issues, added some prohibiter and reinsulated and put in the cleaned tub, and all new gaskets.  I cleaned up the and lubed the original stack, shelves and reinstalled. Because it was a daily use machine, I restored all the wiring, compressor deck,fan motors and thermostat so it runs safer.

So I see both sides for sure... and really depends on personal taste...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: