SMC Discussion Areas
April 25, 2024, 03:02:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Cavalier 51 Help  (Read 4599 times)
superbird70

« on: January 23, 2016, 07:33:26 pm »

Hi,

I own a Cavalier 51 machine that I am hoping to restore and have some newbie questions about getting started.  I've started disassembling the machine but am stuck on a few parts.  Wondering how to remove main door from the machine and the chrome trim pieces on the coin box door without ruining them?  Thanks for any help!

John
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »

Hello, John

I'll have to look at mine for a refresher . I think the coin entry plate on mine has screws threw it with nuts on the inside of coin door  . The main cabinet door lifts straight up of the hinge pins

And love your name SuperBird 1970  
It's my dream car since I was 19
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:17:50 pm by Ltransam » Logged

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:28:03 pm »

John,

Welcome to the Site!!

What is the current condition of the machine?  Before dumping tons of money into this machine keep in mind this machine is NOT highly collectible and you will soak more money into it than what it will ever be worth!!!

Now if this is the one for you and your aren't restoring this to make a quick profit than go for it!!!!   

Just a quick newbie tip!!!
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:47:01 pm »

I bought my first C-51 at a garage sale on my paper route when I was 14. $35.00. I Kept it a year or two and sold it for 75.00. I have always had an affinity for them.
It's a nice machine and pretty common so parts are easy to find (except the inside belt). If you are restoring it to keep, have a good time with it.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
superbird70

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:11 am »

Thanks for the help.  I had tried lifting the door off the hinges before but couldn't get it to budge...guess I'll have to try a bit more.

I know this machine is common so that's why I'm starting on this one...easy to get parts for and nothing too valuable to worry about messing up on.  My machine is complete with all parts, just need a lot of help cosmetically and the refrigeration system needs to be brought to operating condition.  And no plans on selling for at least 45 years, I'm only in my 20s!
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:12:16 am »

SuperBird 1970

It's true it's not really collected as others say but my Cav-51 was also one of my first machines . I completely took it apart and sandblasted the complete machine myself and had a friend paint it for me .

Now I DO NOT call it restored I personally say its refreshed , as I only had the  :smile:cooling system checked and painted and the coin mech was no restored .

But it's a good machine to Learn on and gain basic knowledge and most parts are available from Sponsors on the site  and e-bay

As I have always said IF YOU like it !!! That's all that matters !!  God know I've over spent on machine and Cars to fix them   Lol  smile
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:48:46 am by Ltransam » Logged

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 01:49:27 pm »

Because I don't have upper body strength that guys have, we have to be creative with tasks that require muscle.  Cool To get the main door off, we lay the machine on its back and the door open so that it is parallel with the floor. One of us holds the door in this position while the other person applies some pressure to the bottom of the door. For those that are really stuck, I'll put a 2x4 across the bottom of the door and hit gently with a hammer. Just remember not to run the machine for at 24 hours after getting upright again. Good luck!

B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: