SMC Discussion Areas
April 18, 2024, 03:08:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie questions about Westinghouse Select-O-Matic  (Read 27315 times)
Gnost

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 01:35:22 pm »

Well, my career as a service technician isn't off to a good start!  My machine is missing the starter for the fluorescent lamp and my manual does not show anything about that part of the machine.  I think that I finally correctly sent a private message to the gentleman who offered to provide me with a service manual so maybe his will be more complete.  In the mean time, does anyone have the part number for the correct starter for my Westinghouse WC-78-MD fluorescent lamp?
TIA
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 01:59:51 pm »

FS-2

Glen
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »

Starters are easy to find at any hardware store. Probably have to buy a pack of two. Model of the starter should be FS-2. If your bulb looks dark at the ends, probably ought to buy a bulb. There may be a reason why the starter is missing.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
Gnost

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 10:22:56 am »

Thanks for the info. on the starters.  I recognized the starter number as being a popular one so I plucked an FS-2 out of another fluorescent light that works, plugged it into the Coke machine and...nothin'.  New bulb is installed that I purchased with some other soda machine parts.  The bulb is noticeably thinner than the one that was in there but the ends are the same.  I would assume my next step would be to use a DVM to ensure that I'm getting 120V to the bulb sockets?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 10:59:39 am »

Have you ruled out a bad ballast?

Glen
Gnost

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 12:33:21 pm »

No, I figured that if I was getting voltage to the socket the problem would be elsewhere but everything I read and watch says nothing about checking voltage to the socket.  Common theme is install known good bulb which I've done (it's brand new but I guess it could have been damaged in shipment).  Would you just go ahead and replace the ballast?  They're available and not too expensive.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 02:40:41 pm »

A bad ballast will blow out a new bulb immediately, but you would have noticed a very bright flash.

Glen
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »

Did you try the "new" bulb in anything else first? That would be my first step. You don't  see ballasts go bad on these very often, but it's possible. After ensuring the bulb is good. Check that your getting 110 to the ballast first. You may have a wire open some where.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Starr X Openers
Gnost

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 05:45:22 pm »

I didn't think I had a lamp with the same size fluorescent bulb but I found one so I'll try the bulb that is in the Coke machine in the other lamp.  FWIW, the "make another selection" lamp works.  I already ordered the ballast so maybe I'll have a spare.
 BTW, I finally put some bottles in the machine and it works BEAUTIFULLY!  It takes exact change, makes change and dispenses the soda perfectly (after I put the bottles in backwards on the first go around).
Off to watch the Super Bowl even though my Pats aren't in it.  Having said that, you folks will still help me, right?
Thanks again for all the assistance.
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 07:44:38 pm »

I didn't think I had a lamp with the same size fluorescent bulb but I found one so I'll try the bulb that is in the Coke machine in the other lamp.  FWIW, the "make another selection" lamp works.  I already ordered the ballast so maybe I'll have a spare.
 BTW, I finally put some bottles in the machine and it works BEAUTIFULLY!  It takes exact change, makes change and dispenses the soda perfectly (after I put the bottles in backwards on the first go around).
Off to watch the Super Bowl even though my Pats aren't in it.  Having said that, you folks will still help me, right?
Thanks again for all the assistance.
Well,...... That IS asking a lot, but there's no way to deflate a soda machine so you're probably safe with us  biggrin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:48:27 pm by ajf5577 » Logged

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel