SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 09:37:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canteen Cigarette Machine Ca. 1954  (Read 12042 times)
Andy Jones

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 09:11:25 pm »

Ltransam, That would be great! Thanks! Were these machines made by National for Canteen? Just wondering if any parts might be interchangeable...I need the door lock slider bar for this, too. Someone removed the original locking system and threw on a hasp. It'll cost a small fortune to have a machine shop fabricate one!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 04:28:57 pm »

A lady stopped in my store yesterday, said she has had an antique Canteen cigarette machine in her living room for 20+ years and she wants to get rid of it. I have her contact info if anyone is interested.

Glen
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 05:06:22 pm »

Hi Glen,
Very interested. Please PM.
Creighton
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 09:55:23 pm »

Andy .
Sorry I haven't had time to look around in the garage . I'm hoping to tomorrow ? .  tounge

And Glen please post pictures if you get any of the cigarette machine .

Good luck Creighton

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Andy Jones

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »

No worries... I'm not in any huge hurry. It's been sitting idle for a couple of months now, and YEARS before that. Just trying to collect pieces and information at this point... I want to take my time with it and do it right. I'm pressing my friend to look for pictures to help me...It was goldish/ green hammertone (and rust) when I found it and he only remembers it being that color, but there was a burgundy color underneath it I'm going with. I'm not sure, but it looked like a lousy quickie paint over job with overspray everywhere and it looked like the bottom panel was only masked off - the edge of the opening where the assembly came through was still burgundy when I removed the panel. Unless you're finishing industrial machinery, I personally think ANY color hammertone is hideous, and there is nothing I hate enough to paint like that! LOL! It'll get there....I have a dozen projects going, and none finished! LOL! Gotta wake my '48 Dodge from hibernation  and get her ready for the nice weather...
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »

Ouch !!! Andy I like hammertone  my Canteen was bronze hammertone  so that's what I painted back to

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Andy Jones

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 08:46:09 pm »

My apologies... no offense intended! Just personal tastes, I guess....  I think mine was originally the burgundy color. As I went through the coats of color on the exterior of the machine, It was gold/green hammertone, white (primer, I believe), burgundy (you can see it in the pic of the inside), and white primer again. Like I said, the second white coat and hammertone seemed to have been shoddily laid on....It looked like time was taken to remove the mirror and all of the front trim, but not the lower assembly. The trim was put (back?) on before the paint was fully dry, it was stuck into the paint in places. Maybe they changed colors if they moved them from one location to another ?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 02:15:07 am »

48 Dodge. Those are very cool. First car I "drove" was a 48 Chrysler Winsor (SP) parked in a field. 10 yrs. old.
Hope yours springs to life with no leaks, new rattles or other surprises.

Paint the Canteen to whatever suits you. Mine appears to have been a green with liberal coats of tan latex on top. Nasty green and the tan is worse. Uncommon machines but it is just paint. Unless you can uncover mint original no harm or foul in changing the color.

Happy cruzing!!
Creighton
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:51:12 pm »

Andy ,

No worries  smile  Like Creighton said Its what YOU like  tounge

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:11:57 pm »

Andy .

Heres What i got I know it uses a Quarter and it came from a 11 pull National Cigarette Machine .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: