SMC Discussion Areas
September 13, 2024, 12:47:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gary's Icy O countertop cooler lives on  (Read 8121 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »

I created a Letter to my wife in a sealed envelope that says.. IF I DIE< PLEASE READ...

in it I disclose a lot of stuff... including bank info, insurance, blah blah blah..

but then I also include a few names of some soda machines buddies and other collectors I know and trust and who I would think would help her out liquidating my stuff.

I also keep a running inventory of all my stuff in my collection, every machine, sign, lightup , clock, trinket..

if it has "Collectable" Value.. it's on my list..  I've detailed where to find this list on my computer in my untimely demise as well.

and I have prepped her to know there is value in the stuff in the basement.. and I think she knows this but doesnt' need to know how much yet.. as I don't want her offing me to collect ! glare

but I think it's a good system...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »

First, very cool story and great looking machine.

Second, I hadn't really thought about my collection's fate after mine was determined until I read this.

If any one has even seen the movie Second Hand Lions, I think I'm leaving a note that says "the kid gets it all". What my son does with them from there is his business.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:27:43 pm »

Thanks Leonard!
Creighton, No need to worry I will be the SMC executor of your soda machine will. I've got your back. Just send me your wish's. I'll charge just a small fee of just one machine.  biggrin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:29:22 pm by sc1101 » Logged

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 09:44:28 pm »

John, I like your idea it's almost genius. That way she has no idea what I spent but she will know the value at the time I pass. Then she can't even get mad at me when she finds out what I really spent on them. Sounds like we have a winner. I'm going with your plan from now on.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:09:50 am »

Wow, I didn't know the cooler was sold. I haven't been to Glen's shop for about a month. I have seen the cooler there for years, will see a void next time I'm there.

Gary was a great man. He loved Coca Cola. He just loved collecting, never selling. He only sold because his health was going. I'm sure he's happy his cooler went to a fellow collector for sure.

When something comes up that reminds me of him, it's still hard to believe he's gone. I'm sure Glen feels the same.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 09:08:02 am »

What started him in collecting back in the 1970's, was finding an 1896 Coca Cola ceramic urn in a soon to be demolished Coca Cola plant in Arkansas. This was N.O.S. and still in the original box. Being a new to collecting, he brought it home, set it on the mantle above the fireplace
and threw the box away.   

He always paid top dollar, but for only quality items. His wife knew nothing about what he really paid (and she grew to HATE the whole collection). He joked with her that if anything happened to him, he wanted his ashes to be placed inside his Coca Cola urn. She joked with him, telling him that if anything ever happened ......all his Coca Cola crap would be sold at a garage sale that he would go with it.   biggrin

He had liquidated most of the collection before his passing, but at his memorial.....................you guessed it,
that urn sat displayed proudly in front of everybody and he now rests in the only collectible left in the house, above the fireplace.

Even though that piece could bring up to $20K, it will stay where it is until her passing. She said the kids can decide what to do with it then.

Glen
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:06 am »

that's a lovely story.. I know my kids would empty me out into the garden and sell the urn as soon as they had the chance.
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 10:55:48 am »

Wish I had met him before. Seemed like a funny guy from what I read. I would have loved to see his collection.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn