SMC Discussion Areas
July 08, 2024, 01:22:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U-Ship  (Read 9866 times)
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:23 pm »

I tried them when needing a couple sliders shipped from Washington state. I got one auto bid of $1200 and nothing else. It's probably hard to find someone coming from Washington to Ohio when I needed them shipped.But I will try them again in the future. I ended up using NAVL and cost me $480.00.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 09:33:07 pm »

I don't work for FedEx... but I keep saying that its one the better shippers out there!
There are FedEx's at every major city, their rates are really good (I've shipped Ideals, 33's 81's from all over the US to Buffalo....

They are professional, careful, etc.....  and you can get easy quotes online that they stick to their quote.

I've traveled far for many of my machines... wish I started to use FedEx earlier.... sometimes the entire cost of shipping is less than the gas for HALF of ONE WAY
(I had a machine shipped from Texas to Buffalo for 179 !)

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:59 pm »

I don't work for FedEx... but I keep saying that its one the better shippers out there!
There are FedEx's at every major city, their rates are really good (I've shipped Ideals, 33's 81's from all over the US to Buffalo....

They are professional, careful, etc.....  and you can get easy quotes online that they stick to their quote.

I've traveled far for many of my machines... wish I started to use FedEx earlier.... sometimes the entire cost of shipping is less than the gas for HALF of ONE WAY
(I had a machine shipped from Texas to Buffalo for 179 !)

Ed you never have a problem with weight restrictions ? I agree, FedEx is definitely the way to go for most things shipped, although I believe mznb1u is trying to have a car shipped so I guess this doesn't pertain, but what I was asking is about the weight restrictions, you said you've had 81's shipped via FedEx ? They've always told me that they don't do anything over 150 lbs, and believe me I've tried lol... 

sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:30 pm »

I shipped my back bar through u ship from Alabama. I also read the reviews and found the person I thought I could trust based on the large number of good reviews. He picked the back bar up and delivered it packaged like it was worth a million dollars and helped put it in my house. To this day he still continues to pick items up all over the US for me. All I have to do is send him a text to get a price. It turned out to be a great experience for me.
On the other hand be careful of STI Delivery. I shipped a very expensive machine through them and it was delivered damaged. I called them up and explained the situation and they told me that they would only pay for damage up to what I payed for the item. I thought that made sense for an item that can be purchased off the shelf. This is not that type of item. I said so what was the purpose of me giving you a declared value when I shipped it? I received no good explanation for that. When I booked the shipment they made it sound like it would be covered for the declared value in case of damage but in actuality its only covered for what you paid for the item.  I explained to her an item can be more valuable then what someone may have payed. She said it didn't matter, they were not paying a penny more than what I paid the seller. My example I then gave to the woman was "So if this item was being donated to a museum for free then you feel that your not responsible for any damages because they paid nothing for it". What BS. After about 4 months of arguing my point they sent me a check in the amount I wanted. So the moral of my story is when using STI don't believe your item is covered for the value you declare. It is only covered for what you payed for the item. Just thought I may save someone some headaches in the future.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »

First off, yes, sorry I was using machines as an example, yet Tim needs a car shipped.... So, yeah, FedEx is NOT the way to go to ship a car lol.

With that said, FedEx FREIGHT and FedEx are two different companies so to speak.

FedEx ships up to 150 lbs or so... more than that its considered FREIGHT (Less Than Freight ((LTL)).
With Freight you need to put the item in a CLASS (machines are rated a CLASS 85).... so a 300 lb machine is a Class 85 and has a rate different than say a 300 lb rock (as an example) that has a lower class of 30 (ie) so even though they have the same weight and or size.. class determines cost.

Go to FedEx Freight .com for machine quotes....

it gets even cheaper when the item is brought right to the Freight center and then picked up from a Freight center.

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:33 pm »

Thanks for the additional advice.  Jim--I will be interested to hear how your shipment goes.  Ed and Jeff--FedEx and UPS are always my preferred shipper.  I have always been a big fan of UPS since I worked for the University Mail Services when I was a student at the University of Michigan.  UPS never let us down no matter what we were shipping.  In my current line of work, my customers and my company use both UPS and FedEx hundreds of times per day for time critical packages and they never fail.

Unfortunately, neither of them ships vehicles.  I have opened an auction and so far it would appear that I have only received automated bids because they are all much higher than the automated quote feature.  If the auction does not go well, I will probably try out the name your price feature.  We shall see.  I don't need to get the car back here tomorrow but hopefully by the middle of March.  Looks like a new (remanufactured) engine due to an oil pump failure but I will wait to see what my local Chrysler dealer says first.  I think they guys in MN were jerking me around because they knew that my son was stranded and I could not be there to see the vehicle first hand.

They called me on Saturday and said that they had dropped the oil pan and there was no sign of engine damage--just sludge build up that had clogged the oil pick up tube and siezed the oil pump.  The guy's exact words were "The good news is that we dropped the oil pan and there is no sign of any engine damage so it will just require a new oil pump and pick-up tube."  Estimated cost of the job was $1,250 but the parts would not be in until Tuesday. I ran that by the mechanic who works on all of my cars and he said that it sounded correct and that the price was not bad based on the amount of labor involved to change the two parts on a Dodge 3.9L V-6. So I authorized the work.

Then a different guy calls this afternoon and says that they were tearing the car down so it would be ready for the parts tomorrow and they discovered metal shavings and other signs of engine damage in the oil pan.  When I told him what his guy said on Saturday, he pretty much said that he did not know about all that and that he did not think they pulled the oil pan on Saturday--so somebody is lying to me. But he had gotten a couple of quotes for a remanned engine and the cost would be between $5,000 and $5,500.  I told him to put the truck back the way it was when my son brought it in and I would have it picked up.  Now they want to charge me $264 when they told my son that the diagnosis would be no more than $134.  They are supposed to call me back tomorrow to work things out.  No way in hell am I paying for their mis-diagnosis because had they told me the engine was shot on Saturday, I would have not authorized any work.

I checked with the parts manager at my local dealership and he can get a remanned engine for $1,600 that they would retail for $2,100.  The dealership in MN is quoting 20 plus hours of labor and between $2,400 and $2980 for the engine.  I am not a certified mechanic but I changed an engine on my friends car--there were three of us who had no idea what we were doing--and it did not take anywhere near 20 hours.  And yes, the car did run!  Anyway, had these guys played it straight, they would have gotten my business.  I don't care if it costs me more to get the car back here and have the work done locally.  At least, I know it will be done by guys who are honest and do good work.  Sorry to vent but I had to get it off my chest.

drinking Tim drinking

PS--I will keep you posted on the progress of the auction.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:54 am »

"Shipping Wars" is one of my favourite TV Shows. Lets hope you don't get Jarrod turn up and ship that cars of yours. Nice but Dim.

Watch out for Roy too, he 's an arse...

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:17:41 am »

If Roy shows up I will be more than a bit concerned because he passed away from a heart attack last month!  I guess if I had to have somebody from that show deliver my truck back to me it would be Jennifer.  She seems like she is very qualified and an excellent driver. biggrin Cool laugh Not too hard on the eyes either! happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:41 am »

Wow, I did not hear about Roy's death!  Too bad.

As for Jennifer, I agree with you Tim.... very easy on the eyes  smile
I like it when her truck hits a bump  blush

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 09:54:28 am »

I've used it 3-4 times so far, but most of those are with the same guy and interstate... but was good

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: