SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 02:06:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U-Ship  (Read 9460 times)
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 10:21:35 am »

Did either of you guys have something picked up by Jennifer lately? Not sure if one of you gave her the package but If so I just want to let you know shes going to make a delivery of a different kind. Shes Pregnant!!   oh She's my favorite also!

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 10:37:47 am »

Tim, when you say the "Dealership", do you mean the Chrysler dealership? If so, that is the biggest broblem so far.They seem to think they have the service market cornered. You could have it towed to an independant mechanic that needs your business. A few metal shavings is not evidence enough for me to determine that the whole engine is shot.
       If it is, could your parts guy order the engine and have it shipped directly to them? Have you priced low milage used engines from wrecking yards in that area? And it seems like the money you will pay for shipping would be better spent directly on the vehicle.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:02:55 am by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 10:52:42 am »

My brother used U-ship to bring a motorcycle from Washington to California. The best rate he got was from a company that only deals in motorcycle transport.
       A vehicle would best be shipped in a multi-vehicle transport truck. Unfortunately without being able to drive it on or off the trailer they would decline and you are back to the tow truck dillema.
      Can you drive up there and rent a car trailer or tow dolly to bring it back?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:07:41 am by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 11:26:15 am »

If Roy shows up I will be more than a bit concerned because he passed away from a heart attack last month!  I guess if I had to have somebody from that show deliver my truck back to me it would be Jennifer.  She seems like she is very qualified and an excellent driver. biggrin Cool laugh Not too hard on the eyes either! happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking

+ 1 on Jennifer Tim.......... My favourite as well.

Unfortunately there are good and bad dealerships.

Personally I would be cutting open the oil filter to see what's inside.

Jeff

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Westinghouse WB126-B6-D (daily driver)
Vendo 39
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 02:31:11 pm »

Oh No,. not Roy.. He was secretly my favourite. Would love to tell people what I really thought but wouldn't work too well in my job.

Lets hope he's pushing that big rig in the sky..
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 04:24:30 pm »

Tim, when you say the "Dealership", do you mean the Chrysler dealership? If so, that is the biggest broblem so far.They seem to think they have the service market cornered. You could have it towed to an independant mechanic that needs your business. A few metal shavings is not evidence enough for me to determine that the whole engine is shot.
       If it is, could your parts guy order the engine and have it shipped directly to them? Have you priced low milage used engines from wrecking yards in that area? And it seems like the money you will pay for shipping would be better spent directly on the vehicle.

Moondawg--I hear ya!   I know everyone at my local Chrysler dealership from the porters to the owner and they always take good care of me.  I have bought my cars and done most if not all of my service there for 20 plus years and they have a specific mechanic who works on all of my vehicles.  This truck was a new (used) vehicle to me and unfortunately, it has crapped out away from home.  On the other hand, I don't know the dealer in MN from Adam.  I also do not have any contacts in MN and if I had the work done up there and there were warranty issues then where am I?  That is why I want to get the car back to guys I can trust who are not going to replace the engine unless it needs it.  My best friend at the local dealership is the parts manager so I typically get my parts at cost plus a minor mark-up.  I coached the Service Manager's kid in junior football so she always discounts the labor as well.

The real challenge is finding a shipper.  I have some decent quotes from U-Ship and have been mulling those over.  I just remembered today that a friend of mine works for an auto transport company and I have a call into him to see if he can assist.

Then I made the mistake of requesting a quote through a website called American Auto Shipping.  To get a quote, you had to enter your email and phone number.  That was about 15 minutes ago and I have already gotten 4 calls including a guy who reminded me of the car salesmen of the past.  He hands me over to the dispatcher to see if "we can get you a better deal" and then this guy gets on the phone with the hard press closing tactics.  Sheesh!  I am in sales so I appreciate his position but after telling him nicely several times that I was not going to make a decision based on his call without checking him out, I finally had to tell him to email and I will call him.  He tried to get a time to call back and I reiterated that I would call him!  Mygoose101 was correct--there must be a lot of hungry truckers out there!

In any event, when the truck gets back here we will decide if we go with a re-manned engine or a salvage engine.  Or hope of all hopes--an oil pump and pick up tube!

Quite an adventure!

drinking Tim drinking

PS:  sc101--It wasn't me! hopefull
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:02 pm »

To follow-up on my first U-Ship transaction, my uncle received his Seeburg 1000 without a problem!

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »

As it turns out, a cousin of one of my friends works for an auto transport company.  They quoted a price that was inline with what I was getting on UShip plus I know a guy who works there if something goes wrong.  Probably could have saved $100 and went with a company on UShip, but I think this is the safest route.

Thanks again for the input.

Tim
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: