SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 11:07:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, here's a new one, factory stamped RC81 embossing?  (Read 8433 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: January 24, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »

On Etsy of all sites, came across this one, $3500???

VMC 81 Royal Crown Cola Sign

https://www.etsy.com/listing/170640999/vmc-81-royal-crown-cola-machine-sign

* Vintage Original 1950's Unpainted , Embossed , Stamped , Sheet Metal Sign/Plate

* The Sign/Plate says ...

Serve Yourself
Royal Crown Cola
Better Taste Calls For RC

* Bare Metal Stamping ... Never Painted ... Never Cut

* Original Factory Made Stamping

* Heavy Gauge Sheet Metal

* Very , Very Rare !!!

* Appears to be a ' Factory Test Stamping ' for the ...
VMC 81 Royal Crown Cola Vending Machine Door

* Actual Sign/Plate Size is - 12" (H) x 20" (W)

* Photos of the Sign/Plate have been cropped slightly for better clarity

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »

It looks like a large "bubble" of metal around the impression. Would that have happened on a test run?
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:19:26 pm »

Wow, imagine that. Someone just happen to find the original test stamp for the RC 81. I think I've heard it all now. Pleazzzze!

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »

But I must say I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't also have the original test stamp for the Ideal 55 Dad's root beer embossed slider. I guess that would be asking too much.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »

Wow, imagine that. Someone just happen to find the original test stamp for the RC 81. I think I've heard it all now. Pleazzzze!

Might be the very last stamp they made. When pulling dies they would place one of the metal stampings between the upper and lower dies to protect the lettering.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:57 pm »

I cant really see from my tablet... but is there a Registered "R" symbol at to the right of N on CROWN  ?

Even if it is.... I see swirl marks on the metal.... NEW metal from the mills do not have those swirl marks.  Swirl marks come after the metal has been cleaned, polished, altered etc....

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:51:47 pm »

There are fake...a run of these Chinese made knock off stampings a few years back on Ebay, these are not NOS, they are hydro-stamped* ( not hard metal die stamped) they were sold as "patch panels" & quickly shut down by Royal Crown for copy right infringement, there are a few still floating around out there to date as you can see, basically they were used to "convert" a generic VMC-81 to an RC VMC-81 to enable the seller to fleece an unsuspecting dupe into shelling out big bucks for a phony-baloney machine.

* hydro stamping uses a female stamping die below & a large bladder filled with hydraulic oil above in a captured vessel, then they pressurize the bladder to a few thousand PSI & it "stamps" the metal into the female die, thus transferring the desired embossing.  It's not as detailed as a male female dedicated die-set, as the rubber cant conform as sharply to female cavity, the stampings will look "soft" on the rise-edges & you can see the bulge caused by the bladder onto the steel.

always ask to see the back side of the embossed door, I would if I were paying big bucks for a "rare" machine.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »

Agree, this is why I feel a unrestored RC 81 will always be worth more money if it is left unrestored regardless of the condition. There is only one RC 81 restored that I would ever buy and that belongs to a good friend of mine who I have known for over 25 years and has owned that machine even before I met him.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »

There are fake...a run of these Chinese made knock off stampings a few years back on Ebay, these are not NOS, they are hydro-stamped* ( not hard metal die stamped) they were sold as "patch panels" & quickly shut down by Royal Crown for copy right infringement, there are a few still floating around out there to date as you can see, basically they were used to "convert" a generic VMC-81 to an RC VMC-81 to enable the seller to fleece an unsuspecting dupe into shelling out big bucks for a phony-baloney machine.

* hydro stamping uses a female stamping die below & a large bladder filled with hydraulic oil above in a captured vessel, then they pressurize the bladder to a few thousand PSI & it "stamps" the metal into the female die, thus transferring the desired embossing.  It's not as detailed as a male female dedicated die-set, as the rubber cant conform as sharply to female cavity, the stampings will look "soft" on the rise-edges & you can see the bulge caused by the bladder onto the steel.

always ask to see the back side of the embossed door, I would if I were paying big bucks for a "rare" machine.

That bulge is the "bubble" I was talking about, isn't it? I thought it looked suspicious. Genuine embossing on a machine has a nice flat evenness around the stamp.

I have to admit, this is one of the more unusual scams out there.
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:42 pm »

Wow I never new that these fake plates existed. I didn't realize people were really going to that extent to fake an RC81. I always thought it was a rumor that people really cut out and welded the piece in place. Some scum will do anything for a buck.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn