SMC Discussion Areas
June 24, 2024, 07:19:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long week but a good score  (Read 19239 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:30 pm »

I have been on the road since Tuesday morning and by the time I go home today, I had logged about 1400 miles this week.  My travels took me to Canton, OH, Baltimore OH, Columbus, OH and a nice long 45 minute delay darn in Kenton, OH while I waited for a stopped freight train to move.  Also, all over west and northern Michigan.  My detour to Baltimore, OH was to check out a machine that I spotted on CL over the weekend.  I was pretty certain that I was going to buy it and was able to get the seller to pull the ad.  I was willing to pay his asking price--not as good of a deal a MaineT got on the Pepsi but a very fair price given the rarity of this machine.

Well, I added another rare Stoner to my collection.  This one is an older restoration and the machine if fully functional except for it is missing the coin mech but I can pick one of those up.  In any event, say hello to my newest little friend--1950 Stoner Junior (technically a 120 according to Slider Bob) complete with gum/mint wheel!  The guy I bought it from builds custom chassis' for hot rods and older model restorations.  He had a lot of cool stuff at his shop and was a very nice guy.  As the story goes, he got the machine from a friend who had bought a batch of Stoners about 20+ years ago.  He did a pretty nice restoration and had the machine on display in his shop.  It has a couple of minor dings but overall, I would put it at about an 8.5 out of 10.  It is a little dusty but with a quick wiping down, it will be ready to move right into the game room and fill with candy.  I may remove the mirror from the base which is actually plexi and not glass--to me that addition of a mirror is like the Coke bottle with the hand on an overdone soda machine restoration.

He did an interesting job restoring the mirror for the top.  That is the original mirror because he could not find anyone local to cut a custom mirror for him.  So he removed all of the old silver from the old mirror and then placed a piece of polished stainless behind the glass!  You can actually see yourself in it but it looks a bit hazy--kind of like an old miror.  The rest of the machine is straight and working.  This makes two of this particular model in my collection.  My other one is a 1949 but the exact same machine.  I am pretty stoked about this one because it is ready to display and use!

On to the pictures.  Too tired to bring it in to the house.  Will post a better one when I get it into the house and put together.

Apologies to the Ohio Underground for picking one out of your backyard as I do not wish for there to be trouble between the families!

You talk about vengance. Is vengance going to bring a Stoner back to you or my Stoner to me? I forgo the vengance of my Stoner. But my youngest Stoner had to leave this country because of this Sollozzo business. So now I have to make arrangments to bring it back safely cleared of all these false charges. But I'm a supersticious man. And if some unlucky accident should befall it, if it should be shot in the mirror by a police officer, or if it should hang itself in it's jail cell, or if it is struck by a bolt of lightning... *then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room*... and that, I do not forgive. But, that aside, let say that I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made here today.  Cool laugh Cool

drinking Tim drinking

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:35:42 pm by mznb1u » Logged
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:47:13 pm »

Well at least you came home with something good after all that traveling.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
smith
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:19 pm »

Nice
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:22 pm »

Wow. 1400 miles in one week! We don't put that on two cars in a month. Looks like the detour was worth it. That's a nice Stoner. Take a rest now!

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:55:28 am »

Love it, nice prize after all that driving!

Tim
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:57:43 am »

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/05/15/runaway.train.05/index.html

I guess this is the reason that I got held up by the train.

drinking Tim  drinking
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:20 am »

Bonovox "sleeps with the fishes"

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:09 am »

Tim,
Great score !! You Didn't Even try and Swing By and Visit . 2Hr south west Of Columbus

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:54 am »

That was a great score but you have to have spent a lot on gas to round up that deal.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:52:29 am »

Great find Tim...You must have been Jones'in...It's been too long since you bought a machine.  You did well!

That last paragraph you wrote thru me for a loop.  Huh?  What?  I must have missed that movie! LOL

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: