SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 04:28:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fibula  (Read 6877 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:55 am »

Well my hunting days are over for 6 weeks or so lol.
Yesterday while on the ice for my sons hockey game (one parent from each team refs as they are 5 year old's) I got my skate caught in a rut when I went to kick the puck out of the corner, and I fell, landing on my leg, breaking my fibula (calf bone).
Will find out Thurs if I need surgery... but it hurts like a bugger!

Anyone here break that bone and can tell me how you felt years later?

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:56:26 am »

OUCH...sorry to hear that Ed.   down

I've never broken my leg, but I've had MANY knee operations (8 in total).  I can tell you that my knees ache when the weather is rainy (low barometric pressure) and I wouldn't be surprised if you'll feel that as well - especially if they have to use any rods or screws to get it set.  The good news is that if you stay relatively active, you shouldn't have any other lingering issues.  I still play soccer at least twice a week and I run at least one 5k every spring as well as ride my bike fairly regularly (though not as much as Tim!).

Good luck with your recovery!

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:38 am »

I Broke mine just above the ankle when I was 14..
but of course parents didn't think it was broken just said walk it off.. by the next day my ankle was the size of football.

I don't think they ever set it right as I have been affected slightly by it every since.. it's just not 100%... so make sure they do it right..

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:55 am »

I've broken fingers, foot, ribs so far (and hope there aren't anymore broken bones) and they do bother you a little when you get older.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:39:55 am »

I broke my fibula about three years ago ironically enough playing hockey...I was playing defense and half-slid across the ice to prevent a pass, but ended up running into the guy who fell on my knee, rolling my ankle until the bone snapped.  I tried to skate it off and ended up in the hospital the next day.

Mine was a clean break, no surgery, and I was in a hard cast for around 5 weeks, and the pain in the rear walking boot for about 2.5 months.  Broke it in September, and was back on the ice skating the first week of January, to give you a timeline.  Although I think I re-broke it going into work one day on this grand marble entryway that was wet from some rain, crutch slipped and I decided to brace myself with the broken leg, which actually hurt more than the injury when it occurred.

As for residual effects, basically none beyond being able to feel when the weather is changing (very slight pain)...I always thought it was an old wives tale, turns out its true!  

Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:49:18 am »

I cracked a rib once, and it felt so bad, my whole family could feel it! (ba dump bump)!

Couldn't sleep for days. Every breath was extreme pain. Healed great...no issues or pain since then.

Get well soon...but not too soon.  Other collectors within 1000 miles of a soda machine will finally be able to nab one while your out recovering!!! LOL

Seriously, get well soon Ed!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:46:32 pm by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:57:24 am »

As for residual effects, basically none beyond being able to feel when the weather is changing (very slight pain)...I always thought it was an old wives tale, turns out its true!  

I used to think the same thing - but I can honestly tell when the weather is changing based on the pain in my knees.   My wife is also a labor and delivery nurse.  They are typically busier on rainy days.  Low air pressure... <Pop!>

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »

wow, good luck.... Think of all of the time you will have to look for machines on Craig's list!!

Tim
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:33:21 pm »

I've broken a bunch of bones(feet,ankles, toes, fingers,hands, and ribs) and I've had surgeries on my knees and shoulders. They all ache like hell in the winter and before a storm. The only real relief I get is from being in a whirlpool type hot tub or in a suana. The moist heat seems to do the trick.
  All the best for a speedy recovery.

TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

Ed,

What is it with you Canadians and hockey?Huh???  Sorry to hear about it.  I have coached hockey for 20 years and have taken some spectacular falls but have never broken a bone.  I have however, sprained my thumb a few times breaking down old soda machines.

Get well soon my friend.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180