SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 11:58:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Machines of the Decades  (Read 9527 times)
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:12:34 am »

I agree with tkaz.  Those Billboard Magazines have great articles and the ads for the machines from back in the day.  I'll take a truckload of those Popperette's at $149.50! wow  Also, I'll take a truckload of the used Wurly 1015's selling for $100 or less! jawdrop

As far as popular coolers and machines, I think you should include the vast array of Westinghouse self serve coolers.  These were all over the place and are still used today in some antiques malls and old general stores.  The damn things are virtually indestructable except for rusty lids from time to time.  While they were on the honor system, they were good vending displays where the customer could reach in and grab an ice-cold Coca Cola.  I would have to think that the Westy's were the predominant "vending machine" in the 30's.

Another interesting angle would be the fact that Vendo built machines primarily for Coca Cola while Vendorlator supplied Pepsi and other brands.

One last interesting observation is the fact that you would never see non-Coca Cola products in a Coca Cola vending machine while you might see other brands in a Pepsi machine.  That pretty much holds true to this day I believe.  You also could explore the bottle/can vending machine versus the cup vendors and their different applications.  Many angles that you can explore.

I would be happy to help proof your paper as you get into it.  I wish I had gotten into this hobby when I was in college.  But back then, I was more fascinated with the brewing industry for some reason?  I actually did two in-depth term papers (25 plus single-spaced pages typed on a typewriter) on the American brewing industry for my Economics classes and used that information to make a presentation about the brewing industry in one of my Spanish classes!

Good luck!

drinking Tim drinking

Haha, if only it were that easy now.

Funny you mention the Westinghouse coolers for the 30's, I just wrote about their Junior Cooler for my 1930's piece. I hit on quite a few of your points as well.

I've actually been in contact with someone from Vendo and she has been extremely helpful. She's sent me a few old pictures, explained why the transition took place from round to square to and other valuable information pieces. Very pleasant to talk to as well.

If you wouldn't mind giving it a look, I'd really appreciate a guru looking over it. Long story but I need to do well in this class in particular so the added help is more than welcome. This paper is only 8-10 double spaced pages, I can't even imagine a 25 single spaced page paper... on a typewriter no less
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:31 am »

>>perhaps you could tell me a little about the Icy-O machine MoonDawg was selling a while back...

Regret I only know what was posted. Below is a portion of what an Icy-O search on SMC will yield.
Sad reading so I quit.

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,2927.0.html
http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,3218.0.html
http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,16178.0.html
http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,13250.0.html
http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,6683.0.html

>>maybe list 3 or 4 machines...
Icy-O any style,Victor hot dog grill,Vendo De-capper and Cav. USS-64
Creighton

Thanks for the suggestions. The Icy-O already made the cut and I'm sure at least one of the other ones will be included in the paper as well. That hot dog grill is pretty unique to say the least, very cool
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:17:16 am »

What I know about the Icy-O countertop:

The exterior was not really brown, it was painted to look like a wood grain finish because coolers prior to this were actually wood, mostly wine barrels cut in half and filled with ice.

The biggest selling feature for the company was their product rotation feature. Prior ice coolers had 1 disadvantage, re-filling mid day would offer customers some warm bottles mixed with cold ones. 
       This countertop model had 2 doors and the ice was filled in the center only. As ice melted, the bottles became chilled in a few inches of water. The customers bought the cold drinks from the front window and the lack of ice cubes in the rows allowed the clerk to slide all bottles forward and refill the warm product from the rear.

Glen
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »

What I know about the Icy-O countertop:

The exterior was not really brown, it was painted to look like a wood grain finish because coolers prior to this were actually wood, mostly wine barrels cut in half and filled with ice.

The biggest selling feature for the company was their product rotation feature. Prior ice coolers had 1 disadvantage, re-filling mid day would offer customers some warm bottles mixed with cold ones. 
       This countertop model had 2 doors and the ice was filled in the center only. As ice melted, the bottles became chilled in a few inches of water. The customers bought the cold drinks from the front window and the lack of ice cubes in the rows allowed the clerk to slide all bottles forward and refill the warm product from the rear.

Thanks MoonDawg, all that information is great, I can use just about all of it.

Tom
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:38 pm »

Next chapter....

Glen
Swachtelncc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 03:43:14 pm »

I like the next chapter moondawg
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »

The Cavalier 102 would be a good machine to discuss as there are stories that vary about the two sided machine.  Some say it was so there could be a "Whites Only" side and a "Colored Only" side.  I have also heard that this machine was designed to sit on the island at a gas station so it could vend to customers on either side of the pump.  It would be interesting to see what your research would determine on this issue.

I happen to know a retired Coca Cola executive who has a completely restored Cav 102 that was restored by their vending department and delivered to his personal residence.  I would be happy to get you some pictures of that machine if you choose it for your paper.  It would give me a reason to get over and see that machine finally!

drinking Tim  drinking
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:41 pm »

I would be happy to get you some pictures of that machine if you choose it for your paper.  It would give me a reason to get over and see that machine finally!

drinking Tim  drinking

Tim,

I would love to see some picture of the 102.

Thanks in Advance.

Jared
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »

And there I have my 50's machine, thanks Glen. The machine seems to have enough character to talk about on it's own, add in the whites/blacks issue, and this one should definitely gain some interest from my professor.

Tim, I've been adding a picture for each decade and since this one looks perfect, I would gladly include any pictures you throw my way.

Tom
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 12:10:58 am »

Don't know if you have the late 60's covered but the first can machines with a punch are worthy of note. Need pics let me know.
Creighton

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: