SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 08:02:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate scammers!!!!  (Read 6588 times)
flippa
25 Cent Member

« on: November 07, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »

I have listed my truck for sale on Craigslist.

Everytime I list anything of value (from a machine on up) I always get foolish responces like this  veryangry

Hi,
      I am interested ,and you should consider it sold .Actually ,I am
buying it for someone and payment would be through PayPal . I am
working in a ship and most of time i am out to sea.So it is an agent
that would be coming  for the pick  up.
    I would be expecting your prompt reply,with the name and the
email address on  your PayPal account so that i could make the payment
asap and  i will appreciate if you could send more pics  as i would
not be seeing it in person  and  pick up should be at a designated
place or  your residence.And lastly , i am offering  additional $ 100
to your final price for you to keep it off from other  offers.

They never even mention what it is they are looking to buy  Oo .  How stupid do these clowns think people are??? 

Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:49:43 pm »

Sucks, because it makes it tough on us who want to purchase machines legitimately from sellers who are out of state. My preferred method of payment has always been Paypal, but people get scared off when I offer that because cretins like youre talking about ruin it for the rest of us. Why it's good to call up the seller always and work a rapport with them. Goes a long way in earning trust.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:56:51 pm »

I also like to send 1st contact emails (if no phone number is given in the ad) that are written in proper English and include my name and phone number.   

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:32:37 pm »

I also didn't know CL was this bad. I usually look for coke machines and that's it but over the past couple of weeks I have listed a ad selling my wife's iphone 5 and we are also trying to rent out a extra room we have in our house. It's crazy how many e-mails we get for both, kinda freaky. I can understand the iphone, maybe but a room ia house. All spam, scams whatever but it's horrible.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »

A little while back, I had to buy a small pick up truck (s-10) for an extra vehicle for my son and you even run into this nonsense when you are trying to buy.  You will run across trucks and cars that are priced somewhat lower than the market especially based on the pictures of the vehicle--RED FLAG #1.  Then when you send an email asking for more information or an opportunity to see the vehicle you get:

"Well, I used to live in (insert your home state here) but I am in the military and now I am stationed in (insert state) and the truck is with my uncle in (insert state).  We can have the car/truck shipped to you for your inspection and we will settle the transaction through . . . . ."

Very frustrating but I got pretty good at spotting the scam ads.  I started to examine the background in the photos more than the vehicle and they are typically a dead giveaway.  There are not a lot of palm trees in Michigan so when you see those in the picture, that is a pretty good indicator of a scam.

drinking Tim drinking
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:41:50 pm »

I am always suspicious when there is an "agent" involved or when they are going to offer more money than is advertised  glare .

This ad was a responce to the "is the item still available" question that always preceeds it.  I always either answer with a simple "yes" or, if I am feeling like a wise guy will respond with "what item?"  The second question always throws them off, as the scammer probably has no clue what the "item" actually is.

It amazes me that people still fall for this stuff.  I had a good friend actually lost a guitar to a scam where he was sent a money order.  He thought he was OK because his bank deposited the money (only to take it back when they realised the money order was fraudulent).  As soon as he started telling me about it I instantly knew he got scammed.

I never give out any information until I have actually have had at least a phone conversation with someone.  

So what good does it do these guys to get someone's name & Paypal account email information?  
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »

Tim

I noticed the same thing when trying to buy stuff. 

I was looking to purchase a boat a few years ago, and noticed people trying to sell boats & responding that "it is in another State; send me the deposit and we will have it shipped to you"  Oo glare Yeah, right!  I am going to plop down my money without going to physically seeing it.

When you check out the pictures, the boat would have out of state registration/hull numbers but tehy would be listed as being local on the ads. 

It sucks that there are so many thieves and scams on Craigslist.
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »

Yea it's bad. Last year our county sheriff busted a drug/ prostitution ring about 5 miles from my house. They were using Craig's list to advertise and then robbing most of the suckers that showed up.
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 04:44:03 pm »

I guess everyone has more money than time.  

I listed the ad for my truck at 1:30 this morning (couldn't sleep last night).  Here is the third one today that wants to pay me for "it" sight unseen  glare

"Hello! thanks for getting back to me let's do like this, actually now
I'm not in town for now, I came to visit my family so i wont be able
to meet with you to see the item but am ok with the price as seen on
the advert. I don't mind to give you $50 to withdraw the advert for
you to see how serious i am in the transaction, i will contact my
secretary to issuing a Check out to you and when you received the
check  I will make arrangement for pick up. So get back to me with
below details to be on the check asap.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number:

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you
and i will let you know when its mailed out. I need you to be honest
with the sale as I am a God fearing person.Note you don't need to
worry about shipping the items for me as soon as you have the check
and have the check cash my shipper will come over for pick up

Thanks
God Bless"

Thanks for getting back to him  Oo, I hadn't recieved the first email.  At least mention that "it" is a 2004 Cheverolet Avalanche!!!  What a bunch of jerks  veryangry !!!
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:11 pm »

What is the deal with these guys?  What could they do with someone's name & Paypal info?

Must be my lucky day  glare , he is offering me $1000 more for my truck than I am asking. 

Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out.
I will be purchasing this for $9000. Payment will be sent using PayPal
and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with
someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i
am out of town at the moment. In the meantime, can you send me more
pictures (if available)?
Regards,

Chis.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: