SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 02:18:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new phone book is here!  (Read 6811 times)
00Dawg
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:07 am »

Well, not really, but my first Coke machine did arrive from Athens, GA yesterday.  biggrin
It works (and was being used up until I bought it), it has some nice character, and other than a short period of a high-pitched whine when something first kicked on (similar to a worn fan belt on a car), it hasn't given me much to worry about yet.  There was some water inside (after a week making the trip over in trucks and through a warehouse!) that spilled out when I put it on the hand truck.  The drain tube looks intact, so I'm wondering if that indicates it's blocked somewhere...

However, there are definitely some things that I would like to address, either soon or over time, as well as getting some expert opinions.  Pics to illustrate!

First up:  the side door.  Apparently the S screw (or whatever it's officially called) to open it was attached to the power cord and came off during shipping.  I need a replacement, and judging from the rust inside, probably a new lock mechanism.  Does anyone make a handle you can use instead?  I've got no reason to leave this locked.
Note that the door itself is dented at the bottom, with rust showing.  Should I try to find a replacement?

The cord looks good, but there's a bit of copper showing in the corner.  The picture came out a little blurry, so it's only the small shiny strip.  Electrical tape, or new cord?

Here we have the rack.  Something is flaking off, and there's obviously rust.  Use as is or find someone to re-coat?

Not much use for the coin mechanism either, but here it is.  No key.  Might be nice to have one.

Here's the underneath.  Anything stand out as needin' fixin'?  Bonus points for identifying the species of spider I've apparently introduced to my home.

Here's the plate in case it helps with parts.

Finally, out of curiosity, what was this logo?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice!
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:59:44 am »

I believe the Logo is for "Lazy B" soda pop.

-Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:31:32 am »

Congrats on your new machine! 

Funtronics should have the missing parts you are looking for; the lock, allen key and cap catcher.  I bet Slider Bob or one of the other members will have a replacement door if you choose to replace it.

I would replace the electrical cord, no need to have an accident from a faulty cord.

It is nice that it has the coin mech & rack.  Up to you if you want to restore them.  I always planned on having my rack soda blasted & powder coated, but I have yet to do it. Why no need for the coin mech; is the flapper missing from the rack?  I know these are available from the usual suspects out here.

I love the sliders, such a cool little machine.  Enjoy it.
00Dawg
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:24 am »

Looks like they have a latch handle as well...I should've thought of them immediately.  Thanks for the reminder.

I also have this half-octogonal black piece loose...almost like a small container.  Not sure where it goes. 

As for the coin mech, I had just automatically assumed the thing was set to free vend.  I suppose a more thorough person would've tested it.   upside Will have to get a glass bottle this weekend and give it a whirl.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:11 am »

Side door can be opened using a 3/8" Allen wrench.

Glen
00Dawg
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't think a 3/8" is gonna do it.  This thing is really reamed out, and there's some "stuff" back up in the hole that makes me wonder if something else is missing.  Maybe the "stuff" is insulation?  It's kind of a dark red/rust color.  I wouldn't think I should be able to see it if everything was where it should be, but I could be wrong.   

I pulled out my folding multi-option Allen tool, and the wrenches aren't long enough to reach.  Gotta get something longer, and probably bigger.  Can anyone tell me how deep the proper S-wrench can go?
00Dawg
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »

Jumped the gun...found an 8mm, and it's a bit too small, which it should be.  Tripping to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up a 3/8" (and a 10mm just in case).
Still wondering if I should be seeing material back up in there.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »

It's probably missing the wooden filler piece that surrounds the lock housing & reinforces the door panel so it doesn't collapse when the lock housing is screwed between outer door-skin & the inner door liner.  it's common for them to crack in half & fall into the side-door itself.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:27:51 am »

Good answer Johnie, it would have taken me a while to figure that one out without a picture.
       The spacer may also be missing or part of it could be the octagon you found.
You might be best off to find a replacement door. Not only has this got visible rust on the bottom, but your first picture shows what looks to be a large crack, usually resulting from an oversided chunk of bondo separating from the metal.
       To order an exact replacement door, go to SliderBob.com.  biggrin

Glen
00Dawg
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:07:37 am »

Upon closer inspection, the "crack" appears to be some sort of slightly-reflective liquid that got on the door and dried.  I'll eventually see if I can remove it.  Replacing the door is still definitely on the possibles list, though.   biggrin

Oh, and the half-octagon is this thing:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: