SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 10:09:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brittle wire insulation going to the compressor....?  (Read 25753 times)
wee
10 Cent Member

« on: August 22, 2012, 07:51:41 am »

I didn't see any places where the two wires were touching but as soon as I moved the wire it started falling apart. Could this be the reason the compressor supposedly doesn't work....? Or maybe the relay is bad....?  I really hope to get the unit to cool again without spending much money. I will put a new power cord back on it tonight and see if it will cool.

Brian
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:33 am »

Not to overstate the obvious, but if that is the case I would be rewiring the WHOLE cooling unit if I wanted it to cool so it didn't burn my house down. You leave it running 24/7, when you are there or not.  It's not a place to cut corners unless you have REALLY GOOD INSURANCE!!! And I haven't found an insurance that is worth using yet.

After you rewire it, you will know if the components are any good.

Tim
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:34 am »

Does the condenser fan run at all when the cooler is calling for cooling? If not, first check to see if there is power at the receptacle where the compressor is plugged in, if there isn't any then there is a problem else where. (temp control possibly)

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:25 am »

Yea....If I can get it to run I plan on re-wiring anything that even looks close to bad before I actually start to use it.  Most of the wiring looks pretty good and not brittle at all.  I had taken the (pointed to plug) off before I ever pluged the main power cord in....So I don't think the bottom fan would have had any power anyway....?  The top fan did run, the sold out lever and light worked and the coin mechanism had a hum to it when I turned it on but too many pieces are missing to see if it would vend. I plan on putting a free play button in it tonight to see if I can get it to vend.

Brian
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:27:24 pm by johnieG » Logged
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:56:37 am »

I suppose it is the amount of current going through the compressor wire, but that wire that plugs the compressor into the harness is often much more brittle than any of the other wires.
If the other wires are still pliable and in decent shape, you might only need to replace that compressor plug wire in order to test the cooling.

But if you are going to be using the machine 24/7, then by all means replace both fans and all of the wiring!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:58:48 pm »

Iwould also replace the start cap on the compressor and overload protector with a thee in one  start cap. if the wiring is that brittle then imagine how brittle the start cap and overload are.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:28:57 pm by johnieG » Logged

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:31:43 pm »

There is no start cap on this model,and it's missing it's compressors relay cover...but you are correct, rewire it before it knocks you on your butt, or sends you to the hospital ( or "to hospital" for our EU folks.. smile) or simply catches fire, now that's entertainment! (not)   oops

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:12:13 pm by johnieG » Logged

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »

I took the cover off when I removed the cord from the relay....I just stuck it back up there in place for the pic.

I did get it to vend today with the free play setup...It ran nice, smooth and quite as a mouse.

What is the best source for a new harness or is this something that has to be done from scratch....?

Can I take the whole cooling unit out without having to disconnect the top and bottom unit....?  I know I have seen the racks that hold them after they are removed but I'm not sure if this one can come out as a whole unit....?

Brian
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:12:26 pm by johnieG » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »

You will find 2 retainers level with the door latch near the rear of the bottle stack. Loosten the screws and flip the retainers to the side and the dispensing unit will slide forward. (No need to mess with the 2 bolts at the top, they are for height adjustment only)
     The wiring harness can be purchased from the suppliers on this site.

Glen
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: