SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:08:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Sign  (Read 5892 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« on: February 24, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »

Just thought I would post a pic of one of the things Ive collected over the years.
This is one of my fav. pcs, as it ties into my beloved Maple Leafs.

The Leafs used to play on Mutual Streel at the Mutual Street Arena (thus being called Toronto "Arenas" in the early days).  They then moved to Maple Leafs Gardens, located on Carlton Street in 1931, and also changed their name to the Toronto Maple Leafs.  
These two streets actually intersect each other, and this is, or was lol, the very sign at that corner.

Now the Leafs play on Bay Street at the Air Canada Centre, but I dont like those new 20th century signs lol.

Just thought I would share with you all

If any of you have any street sign pics, please share, as I like to see those old street signs from various cities.

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:12:33 am »

I have a sign that says Waverley Street... Kids love it because its reminicent of thier favourite kids telly programme.
I have absolutely no idea where it would have once stood. Did try and find it on google without any luck. Wolud love to know
so I could add it to my road trip.

I also have the original sign that was up on the wall on the street I grew up in. The Local Authority came around about 20 yrs ago and removed all the
100 yr old enamel signs with cast iron frames and put up new cheap metal versions with a crappy green background. Did it right across the Borough.
Cost a small fortune.

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:15 am »

Thats whats happened in Tornto, (I still think is happening on the smaller streets if Im not mistaken) where they replaced the old iron signs with look alike steel ones with decals for lettering.  It's nice though that they at least kept the same shape.

Nice sign though.... maybe the street used to be called Waverly St. and they changed the name for some reason (it happens) and thats how the sign became available?

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:49:48 am »

I found this on my way back from Chicagoland in 2010 at a antique mall , I liked the way it looked and it reminds me of my daughter
who lives there, Did not want to restore it because it kind of fit in with the rest of my tins and pictures I have hanging heading down the stair way.

But after seeing Bonovox's and Dave's making me think I may want to restore mine.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:53:39 am by Pat Pixley » Logged
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:14:37 pm »

Nice sign Pat!  If that sign were mine I would be torn to either keep it original, as I dont mind rust, but then again, your sign has more rust than I'd like, and it takes away from the black lettering. 

Either way, another great sign! Thanks for sharing

Ed

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pat Pixley
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

Nice sign Pat!  If that sign were mine I would be torn to either keep it original, as I dont mind rust, but then again, your sign has more rust than I'd like, and it takes away from the black lettering. 

Either way, another great sign! Thanks for sharing

Ed

Ed I know I was fine till I saw yours and Dave's,  Know I have it off the wall and think of putting in to the blast cabinet and then getting  it powder coated.

Pat
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:36 pm »

Glad I can be of inspiration lol.... It looks good as is, but I think it will look awesome restored as well. 

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:06 pm »

We have some old blue porcelain signs in a nearby city. I've been dying to get my hands on some of the ones they've retired. I'll take some pics soon to share. They're really cool.
  TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »

i was told this was 1900's  From NYC, but I bought it since it's  my name.
One day I'll get it hung properly

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »

That looks just like the ones that are local to me, with the cross street up top. They are framed in cast iron. Do you have any idea what they are worth?
  TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: