SMC Discussion Areas
June 21, 2024, 03:18:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First machine completed  (Read 8955 times)
TARANDY24

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 10:25:09 pm »

WOW!  YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT WANT TO DO IT BUT ARE WORRIED ABOUT GETTING IN OVER THEIR HEADS.  WAS THIS YOUR FIRST MACHINE? WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT MACHINE? DID YOU GET IT CHEAP? SO YOU HAD SOME GREAT RESOURCES, BUT IN THE END WHAT WAS YOUR TOTAL COST? DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES RESTORATION? DONT HAVE TO ANSWER THE COST QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T WANT, SOME MIGHT THINK THAT IS PERSONAL, BUT PEOPLE ARE CURIOUS WHEN THEY ARE CONSIDERING A PROJECT LIKE THIS. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU?  MY FIRST IS A WESTINGHOUSE STANDARD SITTING IN MY GARAGE I PAID 250 FOR AT AUCTION. THOUGHT I WOULD START WITH SOMETHING THAT DOSEN'T HAVE MANY MOVING PARTS. CAN'T WAIT FOR WEATHER TO BREAK SO I CAN START.  IT LOOKS VERY NICE, THAT IS THE ONE MACHINE THAT I WANT. BUT SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.
bergy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 02:36:52 am »

WOW!  YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT WANT TO DO IT BUT ARE WORRIED ABOUT GETTING IN OVER THEIR HEADS.  WAS THIS YOUR FIRST MACHINE? WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT MACHINE? DID YOU GET IT CHEAP? SO YOU HAD SOME GREAT RESOURCES, BUT IN THE END WHAT WAS YOUR TOTAL COST? DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES RESTORATION? DONT HAVE TO ANSWER THE COST QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T WANT, SOME MIGHT THINK THAT IS PERSONAL, BUT PEOPLE ARE CURIOUS WHEN THEY ARE CONSIDERING A PROJECT LIKE THIS. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU?  MY FIRST IS A WESTINGHOUSE STANDARD SITTING IN MY GARAGE I PAID 250 FOR AT AUCTION. THOUGHT I WOULD START WITH SOMETHING THAT DOSEN'T HAVE MANY MOVING PARTS. CAN'T WAIT FOR WEATHER TO BREAK SO I CAN START.  IT LOOKS VERY NICE, THAT IS THE ONE MACHINE THAT I WANT. BUT SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.
Thanks. I found this machine locally for $1800. It is the first machine I have done. I think it was a fair price as it was mostly complete. Once I figured out which machine I wanted I researched info prior to buying it such as parts prices/availability. I am fairly mechanically inclined so I felt comfortable doing it. Bodywork was something I had never done and I have a new respect for guys in that trade.

When taking on a project like this always assume it will be a bigger job than you thought. Much like restoring a car or a house reno you will likely find more things than are first apparent. If you know this going in then its not such a big deal if there is hidden rust that needs repairing. I worked at this project over several months taking my time and taking lots of pictures to help with reassembly. This site is invaluable for information on these machines. As for my total cost I have not added up all the receipts but I am comfortable I could sell it easily for more than I have into it. I am not going to sell it however. This was about having fun bringing something back to what it once was. It was also cool for my kids to watch the restoration process and now on special occasions they can have an ice cold Coke.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: