SMC Discussion Areas
June 22, 2024, 06:04:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stoner Jr. Paint - Estimate  (Read 7155 times)
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« on: July 31, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »

Hey guys, I am finally getting close to sending my Stoner Jr out for paint. Since this is my "first" restoration, I have no clue as to what fair price for paint and clear should cost.

Since, I don't know any auto body painters I'll have to shop around in the area. Do you guys typically purchase your own paint from the local auto paint supplier? If so. how much to cover a standard Jr. Any tips on what I should be looking for or questions I should be asking is greatly appreciated. ? As always, I seek the wisdom of my fellow SMC'ers. Thanks

help

RetroMe - Craig
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:21 am »

Your pricing estimates are going to vary from state to state..
also will vary depending the brand your buying.

if you have never painted before, which it sounds as if it may be the case, I'd advise just finding a local auto body guy who would do it for you, he'll know what to do, have the proper tools and youll be much happier that way.

if your are going to just do it yourself, I'd practice on something else first.

Paint and body work will also vary depending on condition of the body.

estimate between 500-1000 I'd say.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:55:41 am »

The minimum you can buy on the paint will be a quart.  That should be plenty.  Others on here should be able to help you out with the paint codes.  Most auto painters will do a good job but are not familiar with what is recomended on these restorations as far as paint colors and types.  I like to get my own paint and take it to them.  A good Dupont automotive grade (Centari) of red runs around $80 for a quart.  Red is always expensive so your color may be a little less.

Greg
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:18:36 pm »

Thanks for the information guys. I am definetly sending her out to be painted. I haven't decided on a paint color yet although my wife would like to see some pearl white in the paint scheme. I still need to get a base door re-popped from Curtis along with a few other items. I'll post some pics of the before and after.

Craig
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »

although my wife would like to see some pearl white in the paint scheme.

Sounds like an excellent choice for a candy machine...white with red trim.

Glen
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »

Hi Craig,

I'm in the process of  restoring my Stoner 180, it's sanded  and got the 1st coat of primer on to see where the dents etc, what did you use to fill in the dents bondo, spot putty etc?

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:57:06 pm »

I have a friend of mine who is a wizard with bondo. He is restoring a 57 chevy and has had lots of practice. My stoner was in very good condition overall with only a few small dents in the base. I'll have the paint shop do some final skim work.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:59 pm »

I'm not trying to highjack, but just wanted to mention I have 2 new quarts of Mid Green Hammerite Paint that's available...

My six cents,

Jim

Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:53:28 pm »

Don't be afraid of doing it yourself! If you mess it up, just redo it! If you hire things out are you really a restorer? Or just an assembler? Spend your time on the body work, any small flaw will show through the paint. There's plenty of info on how to paint if you google it, if you decide to do it yourself the best investment is a Durablock kit so you can sand that baby smooth. Sherwin Williams paint is good and is affordable. But if you hire it out, avg cost is is around $800.
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »

Jim
  What is hammerite paint? Like hammertone? I'm working on a candy machine i'd like to do close to a Dr Pepper green
Tom

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: