SMC Discussion Areas
June 25, 2024, 07:25:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Condensation on vending door glass  (Read 7433 times)
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« on: April 30, 2011, 04:22:08 pm »

I've been getting moisture condensing between the layers of the vend door glass on my USS-8-64 (see pic).  Any ideas for ways to get prevent it?

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
ciawarrior
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »

On the same subject, condensation inside my Ideal 55 as well PLEASE??  any ideas?
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:27 pm »

Hi JDAugie
 I had the same problem with my USS-96.  It's a common problem with these models. What I did was order a  2 pane sealed glass unit from  Fun-Tronics, I had to add a little form filled but it was no big idea. here's the link for you model. http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=262&rn=948&action=show_detail    A little note ask them to triple box it. check out this posting I wrote about it
http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,11536.msg87883.html#msg87883

Also, I see you still have the original sector  labels, Here's how I create my selector labels .  I made  a table in MS Word and then download all the  brand icons I wanted and then printed them up on heavy photo paper, lamented them and backed them with self stick magnetic tape. On the select knobs I hot glued some little metal plates..... not an original idea, but I tweaked it to work for me ...attached  a picture.  Have the word doc with labels if U are interested.

Ray
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:36:38 pm by rayg » Logged

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:57:31 pm »

I have the same problem with my Cav USS-8-64.  Not sure there is anything that you can do about it other than what Ray suggested.

drinking Tim drinking
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:58:33 pm »

Thanks Ray & Tim.  I checked out the Funtronics link.  Did you have to pack out the thickness with rubber tape or the width? Also where did you get the tape?  On the subject of the selector labels; Actually, only the Coke labels are original, I have done a similar thing as you with the labels, notice the Rolling Rock!  I do mine in Photoshop. I grab the icons from the net and create a paper label from Photoshop. I mount the paper to little metal plates. I've stuck the Magnetic tape to the vend levers and then stick the metal icon plates to the magnets. Just the reverse of your system. The Coke labels were in decent shape and I liked keeping the authentic "original" labels, at least for the Coke shelves...

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »

On the same subject, condensation inside my Ideal 55 as well PLEASE??  any ideas?

to minimize condensation on your Ideal-55 slider, make sure all of your seals are in very good/flexible shape, if not replace them, to check if they are sealing tightly, temporarily put a bright flashlight inside the machine, dim the lights out side the machine & check for light peaking out where the seals aren't doing their job.  FYI , some condensation is perfectly normal on chest style machines like sliders depending on the local humidity. Also sometimes the lid gets a bit warped one side to the other & it doesn't sit flat on the machines top opening.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:00:34 am »

JdAugie,
I wanted to save a few of the original Coke labels but the were too far gone. I went with magnets on the labels because that way I have them on the side of the machine for easy swap out when loading the machine, What stocked in the machine changes allot, beside coke... it's  whatever is on sale.
What I used wasn't tape, It was a thick weather stripping that I got from Home Depot  (similar to the original gasket material  form between the layers of the glass panes). I put two layers on the vertical edge of the glass unit closest to the hinge. it really not that necessary because that edge does even touch the delivery opening  gasket, I just did it for a tighter fit.   Once you get your glass see what you need, it may fit better on your USS-64 then it did in my USS-96.

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:14:14 am »

Thanks Ray, having the magnets on the label was probably the better way to go. I thought about hot melt glue but thought it might get brittle and lose adhesion in the cold, Plus I couldn't get the curl out of the magnet tape when I was sticking it to paper,  so I went the other way. Maybe if I work at it a little next time I have some spare time I'll reverse the setup.  I keep my extra "label tags" on top of the machine with the bin of quarters I leave there to "buy" the sodas.  

Is the replacement glass unit the same thickness as the original?  The original is 3 layers of glass.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18:15 am »

Hey Ray,
     I noticed you have a pinball on your signature list.  Do you know if there is a good help site like this for pins?  I'm having some display issues on my Gorgar machine and looking for a place like this for help.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
ciawarrior
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 01:47:38 pm »

THANKS johnieG
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: