SMC Discussion Areas
June 23, 2024, 02:08:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOOR SEAL - Vendo 110 / 6 Case  (Read 8253 times)
Vendo Guy
5 Cent Member

« on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to adjust the door on a Vendo 110 / 6 case machine??

I replaced the door seal with a new one, but I still get a visual gap when it is closed....like the door latch isn't "squeezing" it shut enough.

Thanks,
Vendo Guy

There is a fine line between a hobby.................. and a mental illness!!!

Six machines and counting...
(3) Vendo 110's
(4) Vendo 110 - 6 Case Cooler
(1) Westinghouse Standard Ice

- Vendo Guy
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »

Rememer that a V110/6case coolers & V83's all have wooden framing around the doors perimeter, as well as the point that the door hangs on it's hinges onto the chassis ( which also has wooden perimeter framing.) so if the door's screws have become stripped due to rotting wood the door will sag & twist...sometimes the two door latches can compensate & hold the door closed, sometimes it can't. You can try to shim the door hinges like you'd shim a wooden door.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
glenp87
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:52:41 pm »

Thanks johnieG,,,,I removed my earlier post so it would not send others in the wrong direction on this post....had a different model in mind...one of those days

Vendo 80...almost there
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »

An old woodworkers trick sometimes works for tightening up the stripped screw holes. Stick 2-3 toothpicks in the screw hole and break them off, then screw the screw back in. Good Luck!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »

Another trick is to use wooden matches. They are softer wood than toothpicks and tend to thread better.
Creighton
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »

The 110 has 2 latches, one at the top and one at the bottom. Are you sure they are both grabbing?

Glen
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:09 pm »

An old woodworkers trick sometimes works for tightening up the stripped screw holes. Stick 2-3 toothpicks in the screw hole and break them off, then screw the screw back in. Good Luck!

That is how I fixed the cupboard door one day when I accidently broke it while my parents were not home. Funny thing is it is still holding and they never found out.
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 05:41:47 am »

Speaking as someone who is currently restoring a 110, the whole wood frame thing totally STINKS.  What a pain.  Anyway, if you take off the door liner, there is a slight adjustment you can make to the locking mechanism.  There's a threaded rod in there which you can tighten or loosen, which adjusts the latch hooks.  Also, the manual, which is in the Downloads section on this site, has a procedure to check the lock adjustment.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:26:23 pm »

I know this is an old thread but I just learned somthing to share.

I was dreading this restoration of a 6 case vertical because of the sagging main door. As it turns out, the hinges and latches were all fine as were the screws that held the hinges. But the wood below the inner liner was completely rotted out and that's how I discovered how important it was to structural integrity. I removed just the bottom wood and could watch the weight of the door distort the inner frame, as could be imagined just by looking at pic 2 below.
     By removing the door and laying the cabinet on it's back, the frame assumed it's normal position. Then by bolting in a 30"piece of 1" angle, steel took the place of the wooden framework. I can't get over how easy the door swings and now lines up like new. It will even open and close using 1 hand on the latch. This $4.00 improvment could be made to any 110 without even taking the breaker strip or wood out.  
 happydrinkers
     This is a preliminary finding. I still need to add more screws through the front of the angle (or weld it). It also slightly blocks the drain and compressor lines but since they are both copper, they should bend just fine.
      Hope this helps some more of those 110 doors out there.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:43:07 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

When I get into my 110, I am going to look at using Trex or some other synthetic material.  That would eliminate any moisture issues with the wood.

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: