SMC Discussion Areas
June 19, 2024, 02:27:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: soldering aluminum  (Read 7938 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:08 pm »

My ice cream machine coil is leaking where the aluminum tubing is soldered to the evaporator shell.  Does anyone have any advice on products that they have tried and worked under pressure for aluminum? 

I never soldered aluminum before.  With the low melting point and oxidation aluminum is tricky.  Any tips on soldering?

Luckily I have a spare ice cream machine coil (doesn't everyone) and so far it is holding 200 PSI of nitrogen.  I would still like to repair the bad coil and store it away.

A lot of stuff.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:12:31 pm »

I am not an expert on the subject but would JB Weld work for that?  I believe they make a JB Weld product for aluminum.

drinking Tim drinking
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:03:50 pm »

I don't know if it will work or not.  I'm trying to find a product that works 100%.  The ice cream evaporator is a pain in the but to remove.  You have a four foot high evaporator and about a five foot capillary tube and at least six feet of 3/8" tubing.  It's really a struggle removing it without crimping a line.  

The other coil failed the pressure test too. censored

A lot of stuff.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:45:50 pm »

Aluminum can be tig welded.. I'm not sure of the reaction with the oil inside the line with the weld.. I wouldn't trust any putty to create a leakproof seal.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »

What about brazing with a propane torch?  I haven't done it before, but there are a lot of products out there, Alumalloy comes to mind.  I think it would be worth a shot.

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:17:46 am »

I've seen that stuff, and I've tried using it a few times on some thin aluminum tubing... With aluminum, there is no real warning signs before meltdown when using a torch.. when you heat steel, brass, copper, it turns colors before any major meltdown. Aluminum goes from solid to mush pretty quickly. I'm not very experienced with it, but I don't think its easy..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:15:23 am »

silver solder is the only thing to use to solder refrig lines. I use a mapp any oxy torch and silver solder.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:44:40 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I knoe soldering aluminum is tough because it goes from solid to nothing in a flash.

Years ago I worked at a factory that had some form of epoxy.  I don't know what it was, but I had a friend that had an aluminum coil that was leaking and I put this over the spot and his air conditioner still works after fifteen years or more.  This epoxy was made for their metal switch gear, it wasn't your average store bought mixture.  Plus what really helped is that I used a vacuum pump on his lines until the epoxy dried.  So instead of just covering the hole, I'm sure some got sucked in to plug the small hole.

My leak is where the aluminum tubing was welded to the aluminum shell.  I might put a vacuum on and melt a bead along the edge.  It is such a small leak.  I used the machine for months and it was fine.  I couldn't find it with soap and bubbles.  I found it when I submerged it in my pool.  There was a bubble every ten seconds, only if the coil was pitched.  Standing up, sometimes it leaked, and other times it did not.

I haven't submerged the other coil yet.  I'm hoping it is a copper leak. biggrin

A lot of stuff.
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 12:32:27 pm »

Hey , Larry
                Sorry to hear Your Problem . At My Shop We haveused a Epoxy Named Devcon (I beleive You can Find it in McMaster Or Granger ??)  After it Set We can Drill & Tap It .I used it in the Bottom Pan to fill in Small -Medium Holes Still there 10 years later .But I would Have No Ideal How it Would Hold under Pressure ?  Pluse I would Mix it & then wait till it sets up a Bit .Because It Might just flow in the Hole & not Plug it .But Something to Check On  smile

Leonard

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 12:42:51 pm »

There is a two part epoxy made to repair aluminum evaporators in refrigerators that when properly cleaned and applied will last for years that will work on your leak problem. It is available at most refrigeration wholesalers, Grainger might still have it.

Putting a torch to the aluminum will usually distory it.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up