SMC Discussion Areas
June 27, 2024, 07:21:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-70 Drive-in  (Read 10574 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: June 10, 2010, 11:02:38 pm »

I thought I would post some pics of the drive-in that I bought my speakers from to show you guys what it looked like. It is a nice theater and I had a great time. I even learned what happens when film stops in the projector lol! The theater has 4 screens and they still have the field speakers but only in the center of each area. The snack bar was old looking but that place was very clean. One of the cleanest movie snack bars I have ever seen and the prices were actually reasonable. I think a large popcorn was maybe 3 or 4 dollars where as if you got it at a regular theater around where I live I think it would be somewhere around 8 or 10 dollars. The bathroom although very old looking was very clean. The only problem I saw was that the sinks looked to be origional and had the white part wear away down to the metal but other than that it was a very nice theater. I also saw in the lower level of the projection tower part they had a workshop set up with at least 200 speaker backs hanging from the beams in the celing. Also the theater is in Kansas City Missouri and is very close to the stadiums incase anyone wants to check it out.

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Screen 4
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:07:10 pm by scalebowler » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »

Snack bar

Speaker pole

Speaker pole with strange (and really neat) junction box

Sign above drive way
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:17:48 pm by scalebowler » Logged
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:57:53 am »

Thanks for sharing.
 We had drive ins until i was in high school, and  it's  an experience   you have to um, er, experience.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:00:05 am »

Very cool pics....I'm a big drive-in movie fan myself... Here's are 2 sites that are kinda cool,  they list all the drive-in's around the country open & closed  http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm and http://www.drive-ins.com/

Hey Kilroy you're from  metro Detroit, remember the Bel-Air on 8 mile, the Galaxy on Dequindre, the Gratiot in Roseville, Mt Clemens on Gratiot etc... I still like to go the US23 off of I-69 and the newly reopen Pontiac Silver Dome Drive-in.

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:33:48 am »

Ray,

I remember most of those.  I grew up on the east side of Detroit so the Bel-Air is the one I remember the best and I don't remember the name but the one that was out by Macomb Mall--or maybe it became the Macomb Mall.  They had the big screens with the neon on the back and some of them even had a waterfall down the back of the screen.  The original screen at the Ford-Wyoming over near Dearborn was something to see.  It was an art-deco design and lit up with neon.  I found a picture from during the day but it was awesome at night!  That drive-in is still open but the neighborhood is a little rough!

http://www.forddrivein.com/

Check this out if you want to take a trip down memory lane:

http://www.michigandriveins.com/

Sadly, most of these have become shopping centers and in the case of the Bel-Air, not sure how many of the stores are even open.  There are still a few left out-state but sadly, most of our kids will never understand or know the experience!

drinking Tim drinking
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:36:22 am by mznb1u » Logged
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:10:05 pm »

I too remember  all of those, The Bel air lasted into the 80's,  they used to have a Sunday flea market there, before the neighborhood really slid.
We used to frequent the Van Dyke, the Galaxy and Try Drive ins, There was a stretch of I-75 where you'd come around a slight curve and see the screen , There were always cars parked there, abnnd I figured out they were watching the movie,. with no sound and a few hundred feet away from the end of the lot.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

Ray,

I remember most of those.  I grew up on the east side of Detroit so the Bel-Air is the one I remember the best and I don't remember the name but the one that was out by Macomb Mall--or maybe it became the Macomb Mall.  They had the big screens with the neon on the back and some of them even had a waterfall down the back of the screen.  The original screen at the Ford-Wyoming over near Dearborn was something to see.  It was an art-deco design and lit up with neon.  I found a picture from during the day but it was awesome at night!  That drive-in is still open but the neighborhood is a little rough!

http://www.forddrivein.com/

Check this out if you want to take a trip down memory lane:

http://www.michigandriveins.com/

Sadly, most of these have become shopping centers and in the case of the Bel-Air, not sure how many of the stores are even open.  There are still a few left out-state but sadly, most of our kids will never understand or know the experience!

drinking Tim drinking

Is this the one with the waterfall? http://www.michigandriveins.com/gratiot82.asp I would have loved to be able to see that place.
pepsi-perk
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »

Thanks for the memories.  Been to the I-70 Drive-In before - there was another one fairly close over on 63rd St. off 435.  That's where I saw a 3 stooges festival and that Texas Chainsaw movie back in the day.  Moved out of that area to STL in 85, so it's been a while.  63 may be gone for all I know.  They also used to have an awesome flea market on Saturdays - bought lots of old brewery stuff there, but now mostly interested in soda items. 
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:10:03 pm »

Thanks for the memories.  Been to the I-70 Drive-In before - there was another one fairly close over on 63rd St. off 435.  That's where I saw a 3 stooges festival and that Texas Chainsaw movie back in the day.  Moved out of that area to STL in 85, so it's been a while.  63 may be gone for all I know.  They also used to have an awesome flea market on Saturdays - bought lots of old brewery stuff there, but now mostly interested in soda items. 
You should check this website out http://www.drive-ins.com/database.htm They have pictures of almost every drive-in open and closed in the USA. Thats how I found out about the I-70 drive-in and the Twin drive-in in independence.
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:24:27 am »

We have one Drive-In left in New Jersey. Believe it or not, they actually started here. It's called the Delsea Drive-In and it's about an hour and a half south of me. We took all the kids there last year, the wife and I enjoyed it much more than the kids though. The drive home is just brutal. This year we've decided to find a campground nearby and stay in out little camper there so I don't have to try and drive home. They have 2 screens and always have the same titles as the big theatres.
  When I was a teen we had a choice of 5 different ones to go to all within 30 minutes of were I lived. property value just became too expensive. We used to always sneak a bunch of friends in in the trunk. It was always a great place to go on dates, and double-dates. I know were there is one left abandoned. There is also a huge high-end collectors market for the sound-systems that used to run in these.
  One of my top 3 favorite pinballs of all time CFTBL(Creature from the Black Lagoon) was created with a Drive-In theme. I'ts an American Icon.

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: