SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 03:42:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lemierre's disease  (Read 9457 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: March 07, 2010, 12:11:32 pm »

No it's not a new soda.  Although, it has a catchy name, this is an obscure disease that affects people at random and if it is not properly diagnosed in time death will be the final outcome.

FYI -  I just wanted to pass along some information about a disease that my wife had just contracted which was suppose to be a rare disease, less than 300 cases in 100 years, but as I did a little more research, I have found that this disease is a lot more common than Wikipedia and other sites have led me to believe.  So for this reason I decided to share this information with my collecting buddies.

The reason I want to share this is because it is a fast acting bacterial disease that spreads faster than cancer.  Most doctors have never heard of it so it is passed off as mono, strep throat, or flu.  The main symptoms that my wife experienced were a painful sore throat, swollen neck, on her left side, and mild fevers spiking to high fevers.

A quick story:

My wife had a low grade fever and a sore throat one night.  She took some Advil and went to sleep.  The next morning the fever was back and her throat hurt, but not a scratchy type of sore throat that you would normally associate with a cold, it was more of a sore throat that hurt when she swallowed and her neck hurt when she turned her head.  Her fever was consistently mild (99 F. – 100 F), and would go down with Advil, but after two days of this she decided to go to the doctor.  

The doctor preformed a throat culture, looking for strep throat, and decided that the achy neck was a pulled muscle.  Strep throat was not found.  So she went home and either the next day or the following day she had a fever of 102 F.  She went back to the doctor who then sent her to the hospital for some blood work and a CAT scan.  The CAT scan found a blood clot in the jugular vein.  Luckily a doctor in the hospital (Lutheran General Park Ridge, IL.) mentioned that it looked like Lemierre’s disease.

Normally, besides the above symptoms of the sore throat, swollen neck, and fever, there will be a blood clot in the jugular vein leading to the lungs.  

She has been on two kinds of intravenous antibiotics for the last two days and she is starting blood thinners for the clot.  Luckily, there is no sign of the clot breaking off into her lungs.  This bacterium quickly grows in an oxygen free atmosphere, plus it spreads quickly through the blood stream to other parts of the body.  My guess is that if she stayed home and waited for this to get better, she would have eventually died.  Hopefully, with the miracle of antibiotics, her body’s immune system, rest, and good care, she will beat this.

So remember, if you have a sore throat, a fever, and a swollen neck, get it checked out.  Keep in mind that most doctors are not familiar with this disease.  It is an old disease, pre-penicillin days, that might be making a comeback.

A lot of stuff.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »

Larry,

I wish your wife a speedy and full recovery!  Thanks for passing along the info.

drinking Tim drinking
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:22:53 pm »

HOLY CRAP !! jawdrop

Larry I hope for a Speedy Recovery .

Thanks For Passing this On .My Wife has Been battling VERY Similar Systems The Last 2 Months And Can't get a Stright answer !! From Her Doctor !!! Chest X-RAYS & Cat Scans Still No answer .

Leonard

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 02:18:33 pm »

Wow Larry,  I wish the best for your wife and smooth recovery   hopefull.
And thank you for sharing this I think this is a good thing to get out there for people to know.

Pat
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:01:47 pm »

Wow. My tohughts and prayers to your wife and family.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:00:22 pm »

Larry,

My thoughts are with you and your wife!! Thanks for sharing about this.

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:22:09 pm »

Larry,

Your wife will be in our prayers!
With early detection, she'll come out OK ! ! !
And Thanks for sharing the lesson ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »

Wow!!  Sorry to heart that Larry and thankyou as well. We'll be keeping your wife and family in our prayers.

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

Larry,
Our thoughts will be with you wife and family as she recovers from this. Thanks for sharing.
Take care!
tell her she doesn't get better soon, you'l be sneaking more machines into the house.. that will get her right as rain real quick!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »

Prayers Here!! Hope all goes well.
Just got Linda out of the hospital. She was lucky also.
Can't give enough credit to the folks that work in the medical field.
Creighton

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: