SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 02:07:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with with (electrical) "Have a Coke" not lighting up.  (Read 44084 times)
MICoke

Cavalier CSS-8-64, Mercer Island, WA

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »

tkaz,

Janet does not have the switch in stock.  Not sure the name of the switch, since the wiring diagram just calls it a switch.  Can you check your inventory at home?  Also, I wonder if these switches are re-workable?  Do you think this is a common switch that can be ordered from a parts catalog at a local electrical distributor?  Should I crimp new connectors on for both the green and orange?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:35:41 pm by MICoke » Logged

MI-Coke
CSS-8-64
Mercer Island, WA
MICoke

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:48 pm »

Micro Switch P/N:  BZ-2RW84128-D1

MI-Coke
CSS-8-64
Mercer Island, WA
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »

Looks like Soda Jerk Works has it in stock...follow the link that tkaz put on his last post.  They are good folks as well. 

Good luck!  I'm enjoying the troubleshooting show as it progresses!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
MICoke

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

Ordered the switch.  Thanks to all, and of course I will follow up and close this thread out once I've installed and verified success.  As you know, it's not over till it's over.  How much do I owe tkaz?  How much money did he save me?  This was a real experience and a lot of fun, in addition to a huge learning experience on my part.

MI-Coke
CSS-8-64
Mercer Island, WA
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:04 pm »

No problems, I only charge for mileage, the troubleshooting is free.  If I figure it out, your only 2,757 miles away, so 2,757x$0.36, you only owe me $992.52!

Just kidding around, stick around this site for a while, everything I learned is from someone here.  Its a great group always willing to help out.

What are you using the machine for? 

MICoke

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »

I am basically using the machine for our family and friends to enjoy. With plenty of sources for 12 oz. bottles containing no HFCS, it will also be a conversation piece with family and friends.  Most people never think about vintage RT's or ST's, in addition to using these machines for Mexican Coke, Thomas Kemper Cane, and the enormous of other choices in glass today.  Of course, there is the nostalgic part of it, too.

On the flip side, I asked Steve at SJW's the root cause for my switch to fail, since it basically sat residentially unplugged with it's previous owner, for about 25 years.  Steve said that the silicone, or oil inside the switch tends to not be effective, due to lack of use.  Even though he sold me a new switch, he suggested that I exercise the brass switch about 100 times to wake it up and get it self lubricated.  He said sometimes this does the trick, and my light could very possibly go on.  However, he did say that it may only work for a month or two.  Once the switch starts to fail, they sometimes go downhill.  On the other-hand, our machine will be on with actively in use, so who knows?  I just may re-install the switch and run a functional on it, to satisfy my curiosity.

Oh, BTW, I am certainly planning on staying around here.  I love message board and forums and consider myself a newbie enthusiast.  I would love to have a Chrome Trim 64C and a restored Vendo 81-B someday.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:34:04 pm by MICoke » Logged

MI-Coke
CSS-8-64
Mercer Island, WA
MICoke

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:44 pm »

Well, my.....Am I a bit disappointed!  I received and installed the Micro switch, and after a successful install, I'm a bit sad.  The "Have a Coke" light will only light up after receiving money.  In other words, this light will not be on all the time, only when it's ready to vend.  I called Steve down at SJW's, and he confirmed that this is the correct factory effect.  If I wanted the light to be on all the time, (for cosmetic effects), I would have to tap into one of the hot wires off the Coinco box.  But, I am in danger of putting a lot of heat from the 7 watt bulb to the "Have a Coke" lens, with the possibility of melting it, in time.  I think I will keep it factory, to be safe, unless I hear from some on you.

Well, I am most thankful for all your help, and all is good.  I  just didn't think it would turn out this way...... I was hoping for my light to be on 24/7.  Any comments?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:54:02 pm by MICoke » Logged

MI-Coke
CSS-8-64
Mercer Island, WA
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:34 pm »

You have a lighted sign above the coin entry.
You can also buy a sign to sit on top of the machine if you want something else lit all the time. You can buy some cool signs off eBay and elsewhere and then fabricate your own box and fluorescent light assembly to fit it.
I'd leave the machine as it was meant to be.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 02:47:07 pm »

Don't know why Vendo never had a vend when lit option, and in time, I think you may like it more not being constantly lit. Between the marquee sign above, and assuming the door is lit, I think it would be lost.
and when friends notice the light goes on when they deposit the correct change, they're get a kick out of it, and  keep unloading their quarters in your machine

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 04:03:57 pm »

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize that you always wanted it on.  I always liked that it came on after you put in the correct change.

If you were feeling experimental, and you want the light on all the time, you could wire the orange and blue together at the switch, then it would be on all the time.  It would be interesting to try replacing the incandescent C7 bulb (I think that's what it is) with one of the new LED bulbs, like the one here:

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C7LEDWHITE&Category_Code=XmasC7&Product_Count=10

The LED will run much cooler and probably won't affect your lens on the Have a Coke.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: