SMC Discussion Areas
June 22, 2024, 10:17:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popperette on Ebay  (Read 8589 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: November 16, 2009, 07:44:18 am »

Not my favorite version.  I don't care for the stand,salt shaker holder, or the chromed doors, but someone out here might like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300367649867&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

A lot of stuff.
Sodak Bob
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:35 am »

And why would he cycle it through without oil - couldn't that damage the heater ?  It will be interesting to see how it goes....

Bob
Sodak Bob
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:28:17 am »

Larry - do you see the tub for the oil ?  I see the pump, but I do not see the heater and the oil tub.  His cabinet door locks on the side like mine..... You're right - i don't like how he did the cabinet...  but a neat complete machine.

Bob
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:31:23 am »

The heater would be inside the oil pan,, he doesn't have a photo of the oil cooking pan off the machine, as it would be located up in there. But I agree, if he ran it dry with no oil.. that heater is shot..
and your right, there is no oil resevoir tank.. I just use a Metal pan in mine..

I'm not crazy about the white stand, and the chrome doors seem to be overkill as I like restored to original myself...
should be interesting to see if this sells and for how much

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:08:30 am »

I sent him a message via ebay letting him know of the possible fix he or the new owner might be in after he "Ran it dry" I tried to be as constructive as possible pointing out the facts only. I ended it with "If you have any questions....."  biggrin

This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. The machine I bought had a trashed ceramic element body! It really comes down to ignorance, plain and simple. It also exposes en engineering problem on the part of the OEM. Definitely a lack of testing and good R&D.

The guy that I bought my machine off of more than likely had no clue that the element was a few cycles away from breaking. Most buyers, especially if they've never owned a popcorn machine, probably wouldn't think about that as a potential. Even if they had owned one, the cooking configuration that the Popperette uses is it's own little animal, and a weird one at that!

I just hope that some unsuspecting buyer doesn't snatch this machine up fo a few thousand dollars and end up with a really great looking coin-op BOAT ANCHOR!

Brian
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:37:38 pm »

I never even read the Ebay listing.  Just saw it, copied it, and posted it.  What a nimrod.

It is definately a NO NO to run the heater dry.  Odds are that it is cracked.  He said he let it go through a natural cycle.  That's hard to do when the popcorn is what turns the motor back on , by lifting the umbrella, and then the heater turns off as the cam moves around.  It is impossible for the cycle to end without that popcorn.  Whoops, I forgot...that's what the thermostat does.  If it cycled off of the tstat without any oil to overheat.....,it is shot.

It is a newer style of Popperette.  My guess is it is the last version.  The stand with the side hinged door, red "Watch It Pop," and the machined (way down) cam is a dead give away.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:42:26 pm by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »

Larry what edo you think the purpose was of shaving done the cam?  shorten the cycle time?
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »

It was first shaved off to raise the pan higher after the cycle was completed for oil drainage.  This way you would get less oil in your finished product. 

The first version had no material shaven off and only one kick on the cam.  Then they added the double kick and started shaving some off.  This one and the spare one you have are really shaved down low.  I can't see it draining any more oil than the cams that are only milled down a 1/4" to 1/2".

It might be to decrease the time because the batch is already cooked at this time.  Faster brings in more profits.  So maybe it had a maximum drain angle because of shortened time?

A lot of stuff.
Sodak Bob
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:19:13 pm »

The heater that I was refering to, was the tube heater in the reserve tank - I do not see it present.  I just use a ceramic bowl, but there has to be a heat source to turn the reserve back to liquid. I know some use a fondu pot...    Larry, if the main heater is cracked (ruined), there is no replacement for it...right Huh?

Bob
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 02:09:15 pm »

The tube heaters were used for melting the oil.  They take a long time to melt it.  I used the fondue pot and it works great.  I tried numerous heaters and they all failed.  I would probably use at least two tube heaters when I redo my machine.

If you use one tube heater, you can make popcorn before all the oil is melted.  You just want to create a hole in the oil where the tube and the tube heater are inserted into the oil.  You only need to get the oil temperature above 72 F to melt it.  You want the heat from the heater to transfer up into the tube and pump and melt any oil in there.  So after there is a quarter sized hole, I will make a batch.

While the batch is being made, oil will begin to run out of the top pan and into the reservoir.  That oil is hot and it will start to melt the remaining oil.  It wont melt all of it.  As long as you have oil flowing out of the top pan, while the pump is pumping, you are good to go.

If the main heater is cracked, it will still work.  Before, 90% of the heaters I saw were cracked, but now these machines are appearing more frequently.  My friend cracked his on some dumb experiment that he did and he still uses it.  As long as the wire keeps the porcelein together and the wire doesn't short against itself, it will work.  The only real purpose of the porcelein is to become a skeletal frame to keep the wire from shorting to itself or its metal surroundings.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:24:47 pm by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: