SMC Discussion Areas
September 13, 2024, 02:17:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicagoland show  (Read 3896 times)
Raptor
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »

Greetings all,

Just wondering, this will be my first year attending the Chicagoland coin-op show and wondered what to expect. Please share your thoughts from past years. Is there a large selection of parts and complete soda machines? Would this be the place to pick up that "first" or "Hard to find" machine? Any info would be great.

Is it me or is this an addictive hobby?

Cheers,
Joel
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »

Is it me or is this an addictive hobby?

WOW is that the UNDERSTATMENT OF THE YEAR!!!  .... the Answer is Yes.

Welcome to the best group of Soda machine collectors in the world, and I mean world as we have members from across the pond as well.

I haven't been to the Chicago Spring show for quite a while, and others may have other insight to share on this show... but you'll definatly find parts, complete machines, parts machines, unrestored and fully restored machines... as well as Candy machines, juke boxes, Video games, pinballs, etc.. Look at the photos under the photo section on this site filed under events ands shows i think... I  posted a bunch of photos of the fall show and you can get a good idea of what to expect.

not sure yet If I'll be making it yet.. but I'm sure some of the members will be there.

Welcome and we look forward to hearing about any of your finds.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:42:11 pm »

Bring lots of money.  Most stuff is either fully restored or in a real fixer-upper condition!

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:04:13 pm »

Welcome Joel...
   I'll be at the show as usual. You absolutely never know what will show up at the show. Sometimes lots of Soda Machines, sometimes there are more Jukes, or Slots. The only way to see what's there is to go. I enjoy just getting away for a couple of days, although I spend the majority of the time driving. I do try to make whatever deals possible before the show, and meet up with folks there to finalize things. It's always great to meet folks from SMC face to face at the show. Hope you have a safe trip.

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Raptor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »

Thanks for the responses!

Dr Galaga/Tom, 

I'll probably take this trip as an opportunity to meet more people in the "Community" and get a feel for what I'm in for. I've spent the last few months monitoring all the usual places/boards to see what's out there. I'm not sure what avenue I want to go with regards to collecting. Do I want to restore and use? collect and not use? I just don't know. The conversations these machines generate is incredible! I can thank my father for the interest. You know the story,  "Oh I found this in the paper for $50 and thought it might look good on the patio....."  Anyway, here I am seeking advice from a great group. Thanks to all!

Signguy, Are you near Crystal Lake Il?

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

Thanks for the responses!

Signguy, Are you near Crystal Lake Il?

No,
I'm up in Northern WI. about 6 hours from Chicago... I might be going this year ,but will be a gameday decision... 

Good luck on your quest to find something to collect.... Won't be too hard, and maybe a little dangerous as there are many COOL things to get into, Jukes, Pop Machines, Arcade, Slots, candy vendors... and the list goes on an on... or do what I do and have a little of everything...

Good luck.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm going to go this time. 
Here are a few observations...
*There are more people at the show if the weather is crappy outside.  If it is nice people would rather enjoy it outside.  I have heard this from many vendors.
*The deals are on Fridays, since this is when everyone is unloading. The second best time for deals is Sunday afternoon.  This is when you can really bargain with some vendors since they would rather sell a little cheaper than to haul it back home.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:44:08 pm »

I'm not sure what avenue I want to go with regards to collecting. Do I want to restore and use? collect and not use? I just don't know.

Oh, a video camera following Joe on his first Chicagoland swapmeet visit would make a great movie / documenery / or even a short flashback for us all............"the way we got hooked"!

For me, once I had admired and wanted something someone else had restored at a show like this, it gave me the confidence to buy a similar item unrestored.................. and do my best to restore it as well, or even better for myself.   happydrinkers

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:59:04 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:31:49 pm »

Oh, a video camera following Joe on his first Chicagoland swapmeet visit would make a great movie / documenery / or even a short flashback for us all............"the way we got hooked"!

I remember my first show...1988 I believe...A very nice Cavalier 64 (I think it was about $100), 2 cast iron gumball machine stands, and about a dozen beer signs/lights, and they all fit in the back of my dad's Chevy station wagon.  That was the first (and last) time my dad let me take his station wagon to the show (I was in college at the time).   Now I drive a pick-up truck to the show!  happydrinkers

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: