SMC Discussion Areas
June 24, 2024, 07:21:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UH-OH... Craigslist starting to charge for listings?????  (Read 3419 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: January 31, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »

censored
I posted an item on Craigslist today and this screen popped up at the end!!! They obviously hadn't charged me yet, but the fact that they have the page set up... I'm sure is a sign of things to come!!! Didn't Ebay buy them too?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »

I had heard a rumor last year they did... well..... there goes that outlet to cool stuff... nice while it lasted....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:04:32 am »

Ebay bought Craiglsidt several years ago.

In some cities, LA, Washington DC, New York, they have started charging for rental and housing for sale, due to what else, unscuplulous real estate agents ( think postingthe same apartment  dozens of times in aday to keep your ad near the top of the list., not sure if this  is planned to spread to toher  cities/regions, but considering  the current housing market, I wouldn't be suprised if it  does  happen.

I also believe job postings are fwee based. I have not yet saeen or heard anything to the effect that Craiglist will start charging for Sale or bartar ads

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:23:52 am »

It's hard to say , because this was just posted under the for sale/collectibles category... and the screen popped up after the ad was accepted... but like I said... it didn't charge me... just had the template set up to do so at some point.

we'll see.

cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:10:49 am »

Wonder why they don't charge in the first place, how is revenue generated for the site? Craigslist seems to have exploded in popularity in the last year or so.

cmc
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:38:08 am »

I'm sure the creators just made it waiting for the day that someone like Ebay or Yahoo or Google would buy them for BIG MONEY... apparenlty that happened and someone stated that Ebay did buy them....
SO the question is when will ebay introduce the pricing structure, as it has to be hurting them as there is no revenue stream coming in from pop up ads, banner ads, etc.. on the Craigslist site... ONly thing I can think of is maybe they are selling there lists of users to internet companies... (we affectionately call this SPAM)...
Can't remember what the small print said when I opened my "Free" account on Craigslists....
I'm sure they are making it somewhere... glare

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 04:28:16 pm »

I have also wondered why we have coast to coast free advertising. C/L a very
well organized and easy to use site. It's broken it's searches down into local area's
very similar to our newspaper coverages.
       Ebay became popular because item prices started low and people kept watching
until the end.  How can Craigslist get people interested in shopping for fixed price items?
       Well, I have found a few local bargains, but only because I keep checking daily, and
it appears a lot more people are also reading their ads regularly.
       If they were charging eithier the buyer or the seller, or re-couping their costs by
selling advertising,they would not have nearly the popularity they have today.
       I'm thinking they are counting the number of hits they get each day, and when
they reach a certain market share.........the rules are gonna change.   tounge

Glen
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 08:27:26 pm »

If you Google search and type in ebay craigslist it gives info on what has happened. Ebay bought 25 shares from craigslist a long time ago and ebay has mad there own craigslist free forum called Kijiji.com . check it out  biggrin

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: