SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:28:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selectivend help  (Read 7399 times)
jcreid

« on: May 17, 2012, 10:22:30 am »

Greetings!

First time poster after several failed attempts to get registered.  Looks like all is well now.

I picked up a Selectivend 7-up machine from a good friend who wanted it out of his garage.  $20 and some work on his truck and it's now in MY garage.  Here's what I little I know about it:

* There is no serial number plate anywhere that I could find.  The paper stickers inside the door mention that it is a model 1A, although most of the 1A's I've seen are bottle machines so this is a little puzzling to me.  The SV logo is prominently displayed at the bottom of the coin door.  The four racks hold 29 cans each for a total of 116 sodas.
* It does run and get cold.  Actually too cold; it tends to freeze product placed inside, but further inspection reveals that the capillary tube for the thermostat was not placed in the correct spot.  I suspect it wasn't able to accurately detect the evaporator temp.
* The evaporator fan is very slow to come up to speed, but once it does, it seems to be ok.  I haven't done any PM to it yet.
* One of the product detector microswitches is flakey and thinks it's "Sold Out" when it isn't.
* The coin mech has been replaced with a newer Coinco.
* There is something missing from the coin door that I suspect was the can opener for the flat top cans.  I'd love to find a replacement even tho that style of can is NLA.
* There is something unoriginal with the coin door pricing window.  It's clear plexiglas, but has been "blacked out" inside the door.  There's also an illumination bulb that's just dangling inside, but it looks like it used to snap into something.  Whatever that something is, is no longer there.
* The 7-up plexiglas is clean and crack free.  I changed out the bulb and the starter and it lights up wonderfully.

I have just the one picture of it for now, but will be adding more later.  I think it will be an easy restoration project.  The panels are straight.  A section of polished molding is crimped where it looked like someone tried to pry the coin door open, but otherwise it's clean.

Comments & suggestions are welcomed!!

-Jim
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:27:35 am »

Hey Jim, welcome to the board!

That's a good looking machine, I haven't seen one before, but there's something about it I like a lot.  I think with some 7-up green paint in the right combo, it would look awesome!

As for the evap motor, try a few drops of motor oil on the shaft, or some Marvel Mystery Oil.  If that doesn't get it moving ok, then the motor isn't too hard to replace, and you can get them easily from Funtronics, they are pretty much standard.

Try shining a light through the pricing window, I have seen them blacked out before, and then it'll read 'sold out' or 'correct change only' when the light shines through.

Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:35:53 am »

I Like it !!! Alot Cool machine  I'ts not In the Machine Section So Jim May Be asking for More Pictures .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »

It looks like a slant hhelf bottle vendor that was converted to cans. I think there was a thread on a similar sv about a yr ago.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
jcreid

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »

Had a chance to snag a few more pics today while I was out in the shop.  I don't think it was a conversion from bottles, but I'm no expert on these things.
See what you think!

Drop chute:
Door logo:
Coin slot:
Pricing window:
Pricing window (inside):
Condenser:
Solenoids & evaporator:
Rack:
Selector buttons (inside):
Selector buttons:
Coin mech:
Light panel:

Ultimately, I'd love to find the missing can opener.

I do like the idea of some 7-up green on it somewhere.  For now, I'd just like to do some clean up and fix the minor annoyances: bad microswitch, fan lube, etc.  I'd like to see if my moving the capillary tube will cause it to stop freezing sodas.
The piece of plexiglas for the pricing window looks correct, but it's blocked off on the inside and no light shines thru.  The area that IS open to light doesn't line up with the text.  It also looks like something is missing that holds the bulb in the correct location.  Might have to get creative and try to make something work while keeping the vintage feel.

I've been digging thru the web trying to find another one like it, but so far nothing.  Selectivend 1A's always show up as a bottle machine.

-Jim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:38:02 pm »

Hello Jim,
Welcome to SMC board and the SV club !!

Good looking machine you have scored. SV's are by far the best built machines but most seem to be stamped as 1A's :-)
Think someone posted one like yours couple years back that was stamped 1B, matters not.

Here is my 1A. Looks to have all the same parts just not in the same place. Need any help or have questions just holler.
Creighton

Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:04:28 am »

Very nice. I really like the "light up" style square tops. Good luck with the restoration, don't skimp.
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:19 am »

WOW!! Love BOTH those signs on the machines. Somehow the picture of the can just does it for me. Probably because can machines are not as plentiful from that era. And its a nice can design.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »

Here's a picture of an S/V can vendor I owned once upon time...they are neat little machines.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »

Had forgotten the machines that had a place for the pull tabs. Thanks for the pic!!
Creighton

"Blew out my flip top"
"Stepped on a pull top"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUTf5qvS0Lo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: