SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 10:08:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popperette on Ebay  (Read 8499 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:32:40 pm »

here is the reply I got from the seller.. still doesn't explain how the umbrella swith would be activated to turn the machine back on after popcorn was popped Like Larry said. buyer beware of a broken heater..
Dear coke-n-stuff,

Hi coke-n-stuff,
We know how this machine operates and would damage it if ran dry and let it overheat.
This is what we did, we put a little oil and pluged it in and quickly un-pluged it, let it cool then pluged it in and un-pluged it,we did this through out the whole cycle so not to over heat the heater.
Hope this helps, thanks for your interest,
Rich & Cindy

- dumbblue

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55:36 pm »

I've never seen one of these machines.  What is so special about the heater that can't be reproduced?  I am just assuming it is an element similar to a stove top, but with a ceramic shell.  Anyone have any pics of one?

Marvin
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 11:08:09 pm »

Here's a heater picture.

A lot of stuff.
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 11:27:16 pm »

Thanks Larry,
That was quick.  It looks much different than I imagined, but does not appear to be over complicated.  What are the reasons people are giving for not reproducing these?  Is it the cost or something else?  I imagine there is a limited market for them but people seem to need them.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:47:38 am »

Marvin,

It's a limited market and finding somebody to machine/cast the proper material isn't cheap. I've been researching this very topic on and off for a couple of years now and after one prototype and another of different properties on the way I might have a good replacement soon. I am now a lot more versed on ceramics and their properties as well as industry standards and manufacturing techniques/costs.

Here's a couple of pic's. First are pics of what a broken element ceramic body looks like when it's been run without oil. The last pic is of my first prototype.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:49:13 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:47:54 am »

Limited market, but these machines are poping up out of the woodwork now.  If someone could make one for a reasonable cost I know of three that would sell.

The wire is a nichrome wire.  I have about five wires that I cut from a spool.  Where I use to work they used the exact sized wire for a pressure relieve device.  I ohmed out the wire and cut a few pieces.  I think it was about 10'.

A lot of stuff.
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:57:57 am »

I guess the ceramic is there to help hold heat in the oil.  I was wondering why a different element all together would not work.  It may not look original but would work. 

It looks like Brian is on the right path to getting a replacement one working. 

Marvin
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 12:12:45 pm »

I have researched replacements that out of the 3 criteria "Form, Fit & Function" meets 2, Fit and Function.

Small, oil immersion heaters exsist and would work well excpet for one common problem. The size of tube heater or an cased/encapsulated element that would fit in the confines of the original heating element does not come from the manufacturer with a way to terminate the electrical contacts while it's submerged. All of the modern elements are designed with the requirement that only the body of the element will be submerged, not the electrical connection.

The way the Popperette is designed allows the entire element to be submerged including the electrical connection which makes it a freak and difficult to duplicate unless doing it to the spec.

Brian
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: